Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 OT whats your hunting camp set up >

OT whats your hunting camp set up

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

OT whats your hunting camp set up

Old 05-24-2009, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: OT whats your hunting camp set up

Our hunting crew is kind of blessed - my family (and 1 other family) - a total of 4 or 5 hunters - bought some land about 7 years ago. We built a cabin- an old barn that we disassembled and hauled onto the property and re-assembled it. We made some modifications of course.

It's pretty nice. There's no electricity or running water, but we do have an outhouse so we don't have to squat in the woods. We have 2 beds and a couch, plus a cot if needed. There's a wood-burning stove to keep warm in the winter- it works nice as long as the temp doesn't drop below 15 degrees or so. We have a couple barrels of water for washing up that we need to fill a few times a year.

From the cabin to our deer stands it is between 100 and 500 yards, so not too far to walk. We've joked about hunting from inside the cabin when the weather is bad- just open up the window. We haven't gotten any deer that way, but it's bound to happen sometime. Overall, it is a very nice setup. Unfortunately though, I've had to move out of the state, so now I can only come back to hunt once a year or so.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hunting here in NM means lots of public land but all part of the state draw. Most of my hunting has been in unit 15 and has involved a family size dome tent (once a freind let me borrow his camper and a couple of times hunted with another friend that has a camper). The weather can be anywhere from warm and sunnyto below 0 and snowing. The first elk hunt i went on it snowed 18 to 24 inches the first 24 hours, we had to get up every hour or so and knock the snow off the roof of the tent to keep it from crushing down on us. At night it was getting down to -10 or less so even with sleeping bags (20 degree) and wool blankets we were cold. I ended up putting my coleman lantern in the tent to help us stay warm (that made it tough to sleep thoughwith the light on). After that trip I bought a nice heavy duty canvas bag with flannel linning that I can stay warm in down to lower than I want to tent camp in.

For the rest of my camp I have a collapsable alluminum table for the camp stove, a 20lb propane tank next to the table with a propane treethat I put a lantern on top of and a hose to my stove so I don't have to use the small 1lb canisters. I have the usual folding camp chairs and some cast iron dutch ovens of various sizes. I do use air matresses under the sleeping bags for some extra comfort (the ground seems harder now that I'm over 40). I also carry extra tarps for wind breaks or tent covers or whatever. I also have a porta-loo just in case (6 gallon bucket with a snap on toilet seat).

I do want to upgrade to a camper someday but I hate the thought of paying for it, then again, I'm getting older and it seems to be getting colder out there, despite so called global warming.
Old 05-24-2009, 03:45 PM
Typical Buck

picture of one of our deer stands ,my partener is 6 ft. tall and standing beside the stand ...we have all the comforts old people enjoy ..

Old 05-25-2009, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I grew up hunting the family farm We had an 80 acre wood lotwith 240 acres of woods behind it.
Every year there were the fence sitters and tresspassers so there was a huge clear path down the fence line. Still many years there we the tresspassers so I gave up and bought a place in the UPPER. I have owned the place for 18 years now. In that time we have seen 9 other hunters none on my property and of the 9 there was one neighbour 3 times and a second neghbour 2 times. For 11 years we lived in my 22 foot traval trailer changing in to hunting cloths and drying wet ones in a 10 x 10 shed I built. In 2001 we built a 24x24 pole barn with a loft heated by a wood furnace. Now that is some real nice living for deer camp. there is no electricty in fact they want $8000 to run it in to the property. I told the guy I can buy a lot of genorators for that. The 7500 watt one does all we need.

We have clost to 3000 acres between my place the federal land and state land around us to hunt in.

Al

Old 05-25-2009, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is my buddy's 4 car garage. We usually have 4-5 of these bunks set up. The top bunk we use for our storage. His house is just 30 ft away with all the creature comforts. Shower, more beds, flushing toilet, etc. Walk out the back door and I'm in the Shawnee National Forrest.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:38 AM
Banned

A big 10x18' tent i got on sale at walmart does for now. Plenty of room for the 3 of us and my fat dog. Thinking about getting one of those Mr.Buddy heaters that hooks up to a 5 gallon propane tank. That would really make it comfortable.

Used to have a camper but i never did like taking it as it limits you to where you can camp. Rough trail roads are hard on things like that.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:23 PM
Fork Horn

these pics are making me wishing for october. Dont take much to be comfortable at deer camp. Wouldnt feel right without at least one blue tarp flapping in the wind. First trip out west for me, we had a small dome tent & we put a camo tarp over it to help with the wind & rain. Well one night coming back from hunting from a mile or so away. Took me forever to find that thing. I know we passed within 80 yards of it. Me & my buddy about went to fighting. He thought I was on another mtn. Switched over to a blue tarp after that
Old 05-25-2009, 01:24 PM
Fork Horn

these pics are making me wishing for october. Dont take much to be comfortable at deer camp. Wouldnt feel right without at least one blue tarp flapping in the wind. First trip out west for me, we had a small dome tent & we put a camo tarp over it to help with the wind & rain. Well one night coming back from hunting from a mile or so away. Took me forever to find that thing. I know we passed within 80 yards of it. Me & my buddy about went to fighting. He thought I was on another mtn. Switched over to a blue tarp after that
Old 05-26-2009, 05:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a 100 acres and access to 1000 or so in the mountains of PA. We hunt off quads and foot to our stands which range from hogh towers enclosed w/ heaters to a $99 ladder stand hanging on the edge of a cliff. We are very firtunate tohave a healthy deer herd and we work at keeping them that way planting plots, feeders etc. The cottage has hot water, tv and 2 bedrooms w/ lots of bunk beds. It is oil furnace and I am spoiled now after hunting talking a hot shower!! We use outr place yeard round. Very fortunate to have good land, good friends and good fun. Thank God everytine I hit the woods.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

We have been hunting in Montana for 40+ year now. During the 1960's we hunted around Missoula, and slept in the back of a suburban Friday and Saturday nights. During the 70's we hunted around Missoula and Wisdom, and usually slept in the back of a pick-up in a topper Friday and Saturday nights. Occasionally we camped out longer than a week-end, and slept in the back of a pick-up. Early in the 80's we hunted the Little Belts between Great Falls and Bozeman, and slept in the back of a pick-up Friday and Saturday nights. We began staying out for the whole of Thanksgiving week. In those days we woke up in a bitter cold topper, and if we didn't sleep with our cans of V-8 in our sleeping bag, they froze during the night. When we dressed, our clothes and boots were frozen, and it wasn't very comfortable putting them on. The boy became tired of this way of camping and purchased a wall tent.

Camping got a whole lot better fast, but others came along and things got crowded, so i started bringing my camper.

Later in the 1990's the Forest Service changed where we could camp and we ended up here:

The boys didn't like camping there so they arranged for us to camp on a ranch, and we still camp there. We help the fella out cutting fire wood, and repairing things for him and her. We help them keep supplied with whiskey too. Our present camp follows:

Camping in the trailer has allowed me to stay in hunting camp for over 5 weeks, and shower at least nearly once a week. Our camp is no longer policed by the government, but we do all of our hunting on government land in the Lewis and Clark National Forest.

Quick Reply: OT whats your hunting camp set up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.