Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 For the guys with bifocals >

For the guys with bifocals

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

For the guys with bifocals

Old 05-14-2009, 09:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default For the guys with bifocals

I had some one e-mail me and ask about shooting Iron sights with bifocals.
While the bifocals won't work to well [at least not for some of us, can not tip my head that far back]. There are a couple of things that will help, #1 cheap glasses designed for reading are sold all over, if you get a pair that focus at about the distance you set from the computer they will allow you to see the sights. now don't expect to shoot long range with them , but they work well enough for me to shoot squirrels in the head. The other thing is an air lens if you put a card in front of your glasses with a 1/16 to 3/16 inch hole in it it will help your focus, you have to experiment with the hole size to match your eyes. It is something like finding the right load for a particuler gun. Hope this helps. Lee
Old 05-14-2009, 11:46 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: For the guys with bifocals

Got my first pair of progressive lenses in my glasses yesterday-first day at work with them... was tough looking at the computer screen this morning here at work but not too bad now...

I did take a look through my scoped Pro-Hunter this morning. Things looked ok... will take a longer look outside this evening to see how things are...
Old 05-14-2009, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks, I have bi focals and also had catarac (sp?) surgery so I have plastic implants in my eyes. I had to put scopes on all my hunting guns to be able to see. I just couldn't focus the front to back sights anymore. I might have to gibe your suggestions a try.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:57 AM
Fork Horn

I used tri-focals. I used the middle lens for pistol and rifle up to 50 yards and it worked out pretty well.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Best thing I found by far for my old age eyes and iron sights is to add a peep sight to the tang of my hawkins.
I remove the apture for early and late shooting in low light.

Al
Old 05-15-2009, 07:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

alleyyooper
When it gets to the point where both sights are a blurry the try the reading glasses its only real good for 35 or 40 yds but it beats not being able to use irons at all especially for small game.
I carry a pair of the reading glasses with me on trips to if something happens to glasses or to the scope they are a hunt saver. Lee