Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 What's the best choice for a muzzle loader that will last a lifetime? >

What's the best choice for a muzzle loader that will last a lifetime?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What's the best choice for a muzzle loader that will last a lifetime?

Old 05-10-2009, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What's the best choice for a muzzle loader that will last a lifetime?

I've got in my mind that I want a inline muzzle loader that will last a lifetime. At least mine which will hopefully be quite a while. I'd also like to be able to pass it down to my kids if I ever have any. That's my biggest thing I want to be able to do. I'd love for my Remington Genesis to be this ml as I like it but I'm just not sure it will last that long. What do you guys think? Should I just stick with it or will it not last? Is their another one I should consider?
Old 05-10-2009, 07:11 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: What's the best choice for a muzzle loader that will last a lifetime?

I see no reason why the Genesis will not last that long. You might want to get a few extra parts. Another thing to consider is a T/C or Knight rifle. With their customer service and track record, they should be able to service your rifle for years to come.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What's the best choice for a muzzle loader that will last a lifetime?

Savage 10ML-II BSS. It's a ML made with the materials and strength of a centerfire rifle. Get the stainless/laminate version and a supply of vent liners and it'll last forever with normal maintenance.

Mike

Old 05-10-2009, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

rifle. With their customer service and track record, they should be able to service your rifle for years to come.
ORIGINAL: cayugad

I see no reason why the Genesis will not last that long. You might want to get a few extra parts. Another thing to consider is a T/C or Knight rifle. With their customer service and track record, they should be able to service your rifle for years to come.
Which parts should I stock up on? The cheap finish on it since I have the blued version was my biggest concern but I know it can always be rebuled. The stock also has a few chips and doesn't seem to be the best camo finish but it's fine to me. All that can be redone I guess.

Also what's the best place to buy parts? Which Knight do you like? I know I have a good friend with one and he loves it. I've never had one so am sort of tempted to try one out.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:15 PM
Dominant Buck

I also have a Genesis. I bought a new breech plug. Also remember, with the Genesis, if a part is needed, it is carried by Traditions Firearms Co under the Yukon. Which is the same rifle.

As for the Knight, it is hard to beat a Disc rifle. But even the old Wolverines, and Bighorns are built tuff as nails. Also parts are easy to get. I havea two LK model Wolverines and a Disc. All of them are good shooters.

Actually you want a rifle to hand down through the ages, get a T/C Hawkins. They are not new technology, but history has shown that the style of rifle and their tuff nature will have them outlasting many other rifles out there. Also with their old world charm and beauty, they are something to hand down to special people.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Actually you want a rifle to hand down through the ages, get a T/C Hawkins. They are not new technology, but history has shown that the style of rifle and their tuff nature will have them outlasting many other rifles out there. Also with their old world charm and beauty, they are something to hand down to special people.
It's not an in-line, but BINGO! That's the kind of rifle to start a family heirloom tradition. Take off the buttplate, drill a hole in the stock and put a paper in there saying when you got it and what you know about it (age, price, etc.).Add a note that each new owner should add to the note saying when they got it from the previous owner and who they want to pass it along to. Make sure everyone in the family knows that note is in there.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:35 AM
Fork Horn

Any quality muzzeloader should last a lifetime if properly cared for and that is the key. If a rifle is not properly cleaned after each use you can't expect them to last very long. The exception being the Savage ML-10 because you can use non-corrosive powder.

I have an old CVA Big Bore Mountain Rifle that is almost 30 years old and has shot several thousand rounds and is still in great condition.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:07 AM
Fork Horn

Like already been said, almost any MZ will last a long time if properly cared for.. withjust a new breach plug now and then.

That said,I can't think of a more simple and solid MZ, that will probably remain a classic thru the years, then a T/C Hawken. Had mine since 1972 and the only thing done to itwas to replace the nipple every other year.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:14 AM
Banned

Old 05-11-2009, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Find a nice White - 97, 98, or Super91. Buy a few extra parts (those you can still get). Then take good care of the rifle.

Genesis and "heirloom" just don't go together in my mind.

Quick Reply: What's the best choice for a muzzle loader that will last a lifetime?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.