HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   CVA Bobcat project (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/292622-cva-bobcat-project.html)

dustyr 04-23-2009 04:11 PM

CVA Bobcat project

Although fun to shoot, it is kinda ugly with the black synthetic stock. After talking to Erwin at Deer Creek Products, ordered the wood stock on Monday - arrived Wednesday via FedEx. Couldn't wait any longer, so I swapped everything out . . .

I'm very pleased with the color and grain - looks a lot more traditional. However, a few minor issues showed up:

1. The wedge pin from the original stock is way too loose - it will actually fall out if the gun is turned on its side. It's also a little short - does not go all the way through and engage the opposite wedge plate (I could solve this by inletting the wedge plates). I'm not even going to shoot it untill I take care of this.

2. The ram rod does not seem to me to be very secure in the stock itself. Not sure yet how to deal with that.

Overall, I'm very pleased with what DCP sent me, and I took the time to call them and let them know.

Thinking of swapping out the black wedge plates and buttstockwith brass. Thought about a brass nose cap as well, but not sure what that will involve. Another thing that I will be doing is changing the sights - the ones on there now are kinda hard to use with these ol' tired eyes.

Well, I guess while I try to figure out the wedgepin issue, I'll go ahead and reblue the barrel.

Any suggestions and/or input will be appreciated. I'm approaching this project as a lead-in for when I tackle a Lyman Hawkins or Traditions Kentucky kit (can't make up my mind which one to do).

cayugad 04-23-2009 04:23 PM

RE: CVA Bobcat project

Well mine has a black plastic one.. so that will look better no matter what you do.

corey012778 04-23-2009 05:10 PM

looking good, strip and refinish

btw, did they talk your ear off lol

dustyr 04-23-2009 05:48 PM

As is stands now, I'm going to leave the finish as it is - little browner than I anticiapted but I'll leave alone for now.

Talk my ear off? Not really - but fun to talk with. They are going to get a lot more of my business.

Their catalog has quite a bit of stuff that I haven't seen anywhere else - lots of pistol and rifle kits, parts, accessories.

corey012778 04-23-2009 06:11 PM

they have a inline shotgun that I am end up getting. don't know yet

Mr.Flintlock 04-24-2009 03:46 AM

A couple of years ago I bought a CVA Bobcat at a gun show. Didn't need it just caught a really good deal on it. It is still new in the box. It is just your basic lock, stock, and barrel but the quality is good.

Does your rifle have a wooden ramrod. If so you may be able to rub enough true oil onto it to fatten it up enough to snug it up if it is only a little loose. You might need to just install a new one. One word of caution though. Do not use a dowel rod for a ramrod. They can break, sending a sharp end through your hand.

Screwbolts 04-24-2009 03:52 AM

I can remember when these sold for $59.95 at K-mart.:D

dustyr 04-24-2009 12:06 PM

The ramrod on mine is just a basic synthetic (plastic) one - gets the job done.

Solved the wedgepin issue:DWhile I was carefully putting a bend in to keep it tight in the wedgeplates & stock, I noticed the area where the pin meets the cap was somewhat rounded. I figured that this might be what was keeping the pin from engaging the opposite side. Took the Dremel to it, squared that area up and now all is okay.

Next step - reblue the barrel. Question though . . . with the muzzle pointed away from you, in whichdirection do I want to knock out the dovetail sights?

Mr.Flintlock 04-24-2009 12:16 PM

I believe that the rifle has straight dovetail slots for the sights and if this is the case you can knock out the sights from either direction. What type sights do you plan to install?

MountainDevil54 04-24-2009 12:26 PM

Knock them out so they come out to the right. ( lock side)