Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Hornady FHP Bullets >

Hornady FHP Bullets

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hornady FHP Bullets

Old 04-19-2009, 02:00 PM

Default Hornady FHP Bullets

If this subject has already been covered at length sometime in the past, please forgive. I haven't been on this site for over a year. Just got some of these all copper 350 grain bullets. How do they shoot? What kind of expansion can one expect? And do they fit the bore of most guns (T/C, Remington Genesis) tight enough to not want to creep forward in the field? Thanks. Roskoe
Old 04-19-2009, 02:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Hornady FHP Bullets

Never heard ofan Hornady FHP bullet for a muzzleloader. DRT makes a handgun bullet that they call the FHP. i will assume that the bullet you are talking about is the Hornady 350 grain FPB. The 350 grain FPB is a hollow base bullet that is made of lead with a copper coating. It has a plastic nose insert. Have killed5 hogs with that bullet and my Encore. All were bang flops or near bang flops. It is a really good bullet that leaves an exit hole of 1" or larger. i set the bullet in the QLA and give it a hard quick lick on the short starter to get it startedinto the rifling. If the gun does not have something like a QLA, loading is a little harder: You have to hold the bullet straight while giving the short starter a good whack.

The FPB bullet goes down the bore of my Encore fairly easy. i always seat my bullets very hard on the Goex Pinnacle that i use. Never had any problem with them coming off the powder. Used to check that when i first started using that bullet. In my Encore the FPB bulletdriven by 120 grains of Pinnacle 2F makes groups of about 2.5" at 100 yards: Minute of pig for me.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:18 PM
Dominant Buck

I've shot them out of a number of inlines and so far they have shot well in all of them. I also own a Genesis, and while it was close range shooting I did, with 100 grains of powder the FPB's did real well.

and its good to see you back..
Old 04-19-2009, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

If this subject has already been covered at length sometime in the past, please forgive. I haven't been on this site for over a year. Just got some of these all copper 350 grain bullets. How do they shoot? What kind of expansion can one expect? And do they fit the bore of most guns (T/C, Remington Genesis) tight enough to not want to creep forward in the field? Thanks. Roskoe
The Hornady FPB's are my current favorite conical. I am getting about 3 inch groups (100 yards ) with open sights. Killed a cow elk with one and 90 gr of BH 209 last fall. Broke 3 bones, expanded well and retained about 85% of its weight. They are one of the only conicals that will shoot well out of my Omega. It also shoots well from my Knight KRB with 777.

You will not have any problem with creep. The rear of the bulletis overbore size. The only real problem with them is starting them in a regular barrel (they are easy with a QLA). Anyway, I start them with a short starter and a sharp rap. You therefore size them for your particular barrel.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:34 PM

Thanks, guys. I knew y'all would know. Since my absence, I understand there have been some new mz powders come down the line. Any of them worth trying? The "latest and greatest" from back in 2007 was the Jim Shockey Gold. Thanks. Roskoe
Old 04-19-2009, 08:29 PM
Dominant Buck

Roskoe there is a powder on the market called BlackHorn 209. It will shoot in your Genesis with a good hot primer, but not in your black diamond. You can shoot this stuff all day and never have to swab. It also is some real powerful stuff. A lot of people like it. Some do not like it. I tried it in my Genesis and it worked real good. But the best powder in my Genese so far has been Pyrodex RS Pellets of all things.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot them in my Genesis too. They have shot through 3 deer for me. All easy recoveries.

Haven't spent much range time, but 100 gr Pyrodex RS seems to shoot pretty well. I plan to try some BH 209 when my Pyrodex runs out.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:34 AM

Sounds like it worth trying. Is there a particular primer you use with the BH209? And what sort of charge has been accurate? Should I dump out my Jim Shockey Gold? Thanks.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

If your Shockey's Gold is a couple years old (like it sounds like), I'd dump it. Shockey's Gold tends to absorb moisture quickly and lose it's consistency/potency. It might be good, but chances are, you're going to be frustrated when you go to the range.

I'd go with either Triple Seven, or Blackhorn 209. Triple Seven is cheaper and very accurate, with good velocity. Only downside is that you usually need to swab the barrel between shots because of crud buildup. It's not an issue for me, but some people don't like doing it. Triple Seven is easy to find and can be ignited with any shotgun primer in any rifle.

Blackhorn only works in rifles with the right kind of breech plug design (like your Genesis) and you should use a full-strength shotgun primer like the Federal 209A, Winchester W209 or CCI primers. Accuracy reported by most people is comparable to or better than with Triple Seven. And you don't have to swab the barrel between shots or clean the gun right away after shooting (it is non-corrosive). Downside is, it's expensive and hard to find.

As far as charges for either powder, I'd start at 80 grains and work your way up in 10 grain increments until you find what your rifle likes the best.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

One thing i have learned about blackhorn 209 and Jim Shockys Gold they never go on sale.And i like JSG.I have never tryed blackhorn 209.I may never try it, so i am no help with that.

Quick Reply: Hornady FHP Bullets

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.