Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Got my T/C .54 caliber hawkin today >

Got my T/C .54 caliber hawkin today

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Got my T/C .54 caliber hawkin today

Old 04-17-2009, 07:21 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Got my T/C .54 caliber hawkin today

The you need to do it all over again. Sometimes the burn mark is very slight, but you need to see a black burn mark on that patch. On a dry patch it will show. And sometimes it can take as many as three patches before you get that. But when you see it, it means the fire channel is clear.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

12gauge - can you take the nipple off and shine a flashlight into the nipple, can you see any light in the bore? If you're putting a patch on a jag and sliding it all the way down the boreand popping off a couple caps, you should definately see a burn mark. Did you put a new nipple on?
Either your nipple is blocked or the bolster isstill blocked if you don't get the burn mark.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:17 AM
Spike

I figured out what the problem was. Inside the barrel on the bottom it is recessed slightly, and before when I put the patch on the jag and slid it down the barrel the patch wasnt touching the bottom due to the size of the jag. So I put the patch on the opposite "narrow" end of the ram rod and it fit in the reccess perfect. I popped off a few caps and pulled it out and there was black reside and a burn mark.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

12 - I don't think you got all the gunk out of the breach area. Go to Wally world or gun shop and get a breach scraper. It is simply an item that screws onto the ramrod/cleaning rod that sort of looks like a hollow ground screwdriver with rounded corners.
Brass Breech Plug Scraper- Cat. No. 7092

Product Details
Brass scraper with end cut to conform to the end of all T/C breech plug powder wells. Improves reliability and consistency of ignition
Old 05-26-2010, 05:55 AM
Spike

This is great info. I bought a CVA plainsman used and in terrible shape, and have been trying to figure out how to get some of that crud out. This thread really helped! Thanks!
Old 05-26-2010, 04:04 PM
Dominant Buck

Sometimes it takes up to three caps before they show a burn mark. Especially with a gun like yours. Just push a clean white patch down there, leave it, then pop a cap. Pull it. No burn mark, do it again and again until you get a burn mark on that patch.

Something else you might want to do when you are on a range. Take the nipple out. Then pack some powder into the bolster/nipple hole. With your little nipple pick (the thin wire in the nipple wrench) pack that down there good. Then put the nipple back in, cap it, point the muzzle at a leaf or something you will see move, and pop that cap. It should blow the bolster clean for you.

Something to remember should you ever (and you will) dry ball a load. That little bit of powder you pack in there, will fling a round ball 25 yards, making it hit the target and bounce half way back. Something to remember when you forget the powder charge. I am speaking from experience.

Also if your hunting and you want to be positive that the rifle will go off. When you have nothing to do, pull the nipple, put a little powder down there, and put the nipple back. Of course you realize when you are fooling around the buck will walk out. BUT with that little bit of powder in there, when the cap ignites it throws a massive flame down the bolster into the main charge which ignites it right NOW!
Old 05-26-2010, 04:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

The next time you visit a doctor or medical clinic snag yourself a couple of those disposable otoscope covers. They make great little funnels for putting powder in the bolster and don't take up much room in your shooting box.

You can even slip one over the nipple to trickle powder into the nipple itself.

Last edited by Semisane; 05-26-2010 at 05:04 PM.