Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Saw a New Savage BP only >

Saw a New Savage BP only

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Saw a New Savage BP only

Old 04-09-2009, 03:45 PM
mountaineer magic

Default Saw a New Savage BP only

I have never really been interested in a Savage because I consider the idea of shooting smokeless to much of a crossover for me. I just prefer to stick with Black powder or BP substitutes. Well I saw a New Savage at Cabelas that was Black powder only ( no smokeless). It was stainless steel and fluted barrel.It was nice looking, in camo. 26" barrel and 1:24 twist. Model 10ML BP. $699.00 at Cabelas. To bad I already bought my last Muzzle loader, accordng to my wife anyway. Time will tell.

Old 04-09-2009, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Saw a New New Savage BP only

ORIGINAL: chetmarks

I have never really been interested in a Savage because I consider the idea of shooting smokeless to much of a crossover for me. I just prefer to stick with Black powder or BP substitutes. Well I saw a New Savage at Cabelas that was Black powder only ( no smokeless). It was nice looking, in camo. To bad I already bought my last Muzzle loader, accordng to my wife anyway. Time will tell.
Marketing gimic by Cabelas, it is a regular Savage with 2" longer barrel, so it can shoot Smokeless if you want to. They don't have two production lines for Savages 1 for smokeless 1 for non. This has been talked about over on Savage forum, which is the place to ask smokeless questions, a ton of great folks over there also:

http://dougsmessageboards.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=smokeless

Chap
Old 04-09-2009, 04:06 PM
mountaineer magic

ORIGINAL: gleason.chapman

ORIGINAL: chetmarks

I have never really been interested in a Savage because I consider the idea of shooting smokeless to much of a crossover for me. I just prefer to stick with Black powder or BP substitutes. Well I saw a New Savage at Cabelas that was Black powder only ( no smokeless). It was nice looking, in camo. To bad I already bought my last Muzzle loader, accordng to my wife anyway. Time will tell.
Marketing gimic by Cabelas, it is a regular Savage with 2" longer barrel, so it can shoot Smokeless if you want to. They don't have two production lines for Savages 1 for smokeless 1 for non. This has been talked about over on Savage forum, which is the place to ask smokeless questions, a ton of great folks over there also:

http://dougsmessageboards.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=smokeless

Chap
I see. Figures. Cabelas is selling it under the pretense that it is BP only. They must be doing that for people like me.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:15 PM
Banned

i darn sure wouldnt shoot smokeless in it. If something were flawed and the rifle pulled a toby bridges, the lawyers will simply tell you that you screwed up and didnt follow directions. Even randy wakeman will tell you not to shoot smokeless in it.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

chetmarks

Think I agree with you a bunch - just see no reason to shoot smokeless... but as cheap as I am - it kinda does make more sense. powder wise it is much cheaper and certainly if you were going to shoot a steady diet of BH which is smokeless - it would make a whole lot more sense to shoot a Savage if you are thinking economics.

I guess it comes down to why do I need to shoot smokeless?
Old 04-09-2009, 05:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sabotloader
That's an easy question. More velocity and alot cheaper to shoot. Other then that, no reason.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

There are only three factors that make someone want to go smokeless--cleaning, cheaperand shooting longer distances all other factors are same. Blackhorn in my opinion makes cleaning go away and shooting longer distances go away, that leaves cheaper and smokeless is cheaper than BH by a factor of 3x. Example 44g weighed of AA 5744 is $18.99 for 1 lb, but 10oz of BH is $32 here. Cost per shot is a lot less withsmokeless. Nobody is going to go smokeless if they got a good inline that shoots BH, but folks that wanna shooter cleaner without crud ring might consider it.
Chap

PS. I think there is also the cult factor on Smokeless, just as there is with BP vs shooting subs orsidelocks vs inlines.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Quote Chap "PS. I think there is also the cult factor on Smokeless, just as there is with BP vs shooting subs orsidelocks vs inlines."

That's right -All yousmokeless powder and inline shooters are evil. Oh, wait, I have an inline now.....Oooops!

I'd probably have to agree it is the same ML as the smokeless version with a different stamping on the barrel. But I could see a legal issue if it failed while shooting smokeless in it.
By the way Chet - you better have the money for my Renegade stashed away if I decide to sell it...

Old 04-10-2009, 06:55 AM
mountaineer magic

Default RE: Saw a New Savage BP only

Bronko22000:By the way Chet - you better have the money for my Renegade stashed away if I decide to sell it...

I hope so. But since taking your signature to heart, I have been investing everything as fast as I get it so I don't end up wasting it.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Saw a New Savage BP only

Why is everyone under the impression that you can only shoot smokeless out of the Savage??? You can shoot whatever you want. You're not just limited to smokeless powder. If you like the Savage but don't want to shoot smokeless.... THEN DON'T!... Shoot BH209, or 777, or Pyrodex, or Black Powder...

Quick Reply: Saw a New Savage BP only

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.