Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 BackHorn 209..."Just a Gimmick?" >

BackHorn 209..."Just a Gimmick?"

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

BackHorn 209..."Just a Gimmick?"

Old 04-09-2009, 04:54 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: BackHorn 209..."Just a Gimmick?"

I was wondering if you took all the loose powders(777,blk209,APP,RS,etc..) with say 100g by volume what would be the differnce in performance? and or accuracy. All i see on here is the 209 bandwagon. I have never shot 209 but it seemed to me JSG sticks was the worst out of 777, Pyrodex pellets.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

My only aversion to the powder initially was the price. But like most have stated if it worked, then use it for hunting.

I was shooting my Knight Vision, a new version with the new breech plug. I used Winchester 209 shotgun primers. I can't understand why I could not load the black sabot Shockwaves down the barrel, but after I started to clean the barrel andsaw all thesoot (it looked like I was shooting BP, the patches were so black). And it definitely took more then a few patches to clean the barrel. The rifle is new, butnot virgin. It was thoroughly cleaned before shooting and then shot on two other occasions before this experience.

As to the Shockwave sabots, they were hard to load with the other powders. But the difference was that I could swab the barrel after a fewshots. Now with the Hornaday SSTs and the red sabots and the .44 cal XTP and green sabots, they loaded okay. They are not as accurate as theblack sabots though.

On the accuracy question, I have no idea. I can honestly say that I saw no difference between the powders. Using BH209 didn't make my rifle shoot moreaccurate.

Trust me, who doesn't want a ML powder that is more maintenance free. I still have some powder left and may try it again?????

I am going to the range and will getout the Hawkens carbineand shoot some PRBs and cleanse my soul some.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:35 AM
Fork Horn

You Must remove all traces of oil which includes Hoppes. I had the same problem the second time I used BH in the Encore. Once I fiqured out what caused the problem I had no other issues, except you have to clean the Breech Plug orifice after 20 rounds or so.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rock Fish

You Must remove all traces of oil which includes Hoppes. I had the same problem the second time I used BH in the Encore. Once I figured out what caused the problem I had no other issues, except you have to clean the Breech Plug orifice after 20 rounds or so.
Not sure that makes sense. First,Hoppes is the type of cleaner that is supposedtobe used to clean this powder up. Second, after I use the Hoppes cleaner I always use an alcohol patch to clean out all the cleaning substance from all my barrels. I then use an oily patch to run through the barrel o coat the inside for protection. And lastly, I run a clean patch through all my MLs before I load them.

So, I would have to say I don't think this is a would be a player.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:58 PM
Fork Horn

Let me start by saying I like BH just fine... I don't really find it any easier to clean than 777 however. They both shoot about the same accuracy wise,,, the main advantage of BH for me is no swabbing between shots and maybe a little less corrosive.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:17 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: rafsob

ORIGINAL: Rock Fish

You Must remove all traces of oil which includes Hoppes. I had the same problem the second time I used BH in the Encore. Once I figured out what caused the problem I had no other issues, except you have to clean the Breech Plug orifice after 20 rounds or so.
Not sure that makes sense.
You must remove all traces of oil before loading. I guess I wasn't clear my mistake.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

rafsob

Not sure that makes sense.
Guess I gotta agree with you... I shoot T7 and BH with Montana Extreme in the barrel - makes no difference for me. And like you I do run a clean dry patch before shooting and I pop a couple primers - load up and I am off to the races...

The only thing it cold really effect is the sabot might slip/skip the lands if it were over oiled. If you are shooting BH you need to use a fairly tight sabot anyway and if you pre-foul with primers - you should not slip or skip.

I certainly have not shot as much BH as some but I really can not say it is more accurate for me than T7.

Where BH is the best is when you are shooting heavy bullets... BH is far more effeicient with a heavier bullet. When I tested a 200 grain bullet from this new Triumph I actually got greater velocity with the T7-2f than I did with an equal load of BH...