Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Vari-Flame & CCI small rifle primers >

Vari-Flame & CCI small rifle primers

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Vari-Flame & CCI small rifle primers

Old 04-09-2009, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Vari-Flame & CCI small rifle primers

After my experience with the Vari-flames, I think it really depends on how the variflame adapters fit in your breech plug. Some people seem to have no problems, others do. My biggest problem was that sometimes the primer wouldn't fire at all - there was a small dent in the primer from the firing pin, but no ignition. I don't think they are a scam, but certainly seem to work better with some rifle designs than others.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:55 AM
Typical Buck

Ialso think they are a scam ..the 209 primer is good enough ...i see no need in adding extra pieces to my ENCORE ..but if ur ML. needs the VARI-FLAME by all means use it. .

ps. i like to keep it simple .
Old 04-17-2009, 09:18 AM
Spike

My step-son switched to the Variflame in his Encore and loves it. I tried it in my MK85 -which I converted over to a 209 - but it wouldn't fire at all - if I turned down the firing plug to a point it might. I'm not a believer in 209 ignition anyway (I know, it'sprobably just me) so I converted back over last fall to the #11percussion cap.Knight now makes an MK85 breech plug now that doesn't need to have the nipple removed first to get itout. Plus Ijust don't like the design of the 209 breech plugs compared toone that uses a percussion cap.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:06 PM
Spike

A year or so ago there was a similar post concerning the vari-flame system. It was remarkably similar to this thread in that the TC Omega and Encore owners seemed to have good success with ignition. (If I remember correctly, and that is certainly suspect.) The Knight owners were usually disappointed with hang fires or mis-fires being common. There was some discussion about the strength of the hammer/firing pin being partly to blame also.
I bought the variflame adapters and have used them with good success in my Omega. My brother also has used them in his Encore successfully. I cannot say that they improved my accuracy since I have been using open sights.
I will say that the reloading kit looked a little cheesy to me so I built my own reloading block and press from teflon and wood. I am always able to seat the primer firmly in the pocket. A primer that is not completely seated was also blamed in the prior thread for misfires.
If anyone has any of the variflames that they don't wantand are going to throw away, you can alwaysthrow them my way. My maincomplaint is that it is a little bit of a pain to only have 15 primers.
If I am just plinking light loads under apatched round ballI break out the shotgun primers for the sake of convenience.