Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Vari-Flame & CCI small rifle primers >

Vari-Flame & CCI small rifle primers

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Vari-Flame & CCI small rifle primers

Old 04-07-2009, 04:41 PM
Spike

Default Vari-Flame & CCI small rifle primers

On my first trip to the range with the new Knight Vision, I decided to use the new Vari-flame adapters. This takes the place of the 209 primers. Its a little brass adapter that you put a small rifle primer into. The small rifle primers are cheaper and its said to cut down on the "CRUD" ring with t7. I had a ton of no fires(some would go off after the 2 and 3rd hit of the firing pin and some would not fire at all) How many people use this and what have your results been?
I am wondering if the misfire is common. I tried the 209 primers in the rifle and they work just fine. I checked how deep the small primer was seated thinking that was the problem, but all were flush when I checked with a metal straight edge. Any thoughts as to the misfires? This was also my first outing with loose t7 powder. I did still have a "CRUD"ring but I don't have anything to compare to as I am new to Black Powder.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Vari-Flame & CCI small rifle primers

They wouldn't work in eithermy Mustang or my brother-in-law's Knight. We had a pack of 15 (I think it was 15) andtossed them in the trash after a half hour of frustration.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had the same experience. I shot roughly 20 times in one afternoon. I had at least 3 outright misfires and many, many hangfires - where the primer would pop and there would be a noticeable lag time before the powder was ignited.
It was extremely frustrating, so I ditched the whole idea. I don't know, maybe it works better in certain types of rifles and not others, depending on the breech plug, firing pin, etc.

I switched over to the Winchester Triple Seven primers- they work great and I get less of a crud ring with them than with the Federals I had been using. They are pricier, but it's not a huge deal unless you shoot a ton.

Personally, I'd ditch the Vari-flame and just use a regular 209 primer - you can get several types and see which gives the best accuracy and the least crud ring.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:19 AM
Typical Buck

i'd much rather clean the crude ring than have miss fire's with the Vari-flame adapters ..
Old 04-09-2009, 05:08 AM
Fork Horn

I have used the vari-flame adapters for about 3 years and have never had any hang fires or misfires. However, I am using them in my TC Encore with 120 gr. pyrodex ad a 300 gr. SST lock-n-load. My son also uses the vari-flame adapters in his Optima and he has never experienced any problems and he uses 100 gr. of 777 and a 250 gr. SW.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is one of the biggest scams in Muzzleloading i ever seen. Better accuracy, no crud rings, doesnt lift the bullet off the charge, Cheaper, and so on. Remington 410 primers would of been the cheapest way to change from a 209 primer if you believe all the hype. I find all of it to be false with the exception to a little less fouling or crud ring with the 410primers.

100 209 primers cost less then $4.00 bucks for a hundred. I have no idea how they advertise it being cheaper to use small rifle primers. I just bought 1000 Federal 209A for $30.00 bucks.

The best advise i could give you is switch to federal 209A primers and buy the new breech plug for the vision if you dont already have it.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:14 AM

I use the Variflame exclusively with the large rifle CCI primers and have never had a misfire in over 300 shots. My accuracy improved immediately upon the switch from other primers.I went from 1-2 inch groups to touching groups at 100 yards consistantly. I am using them in my TC Encore with 150 gr. pyrodex pellets and a 250 gr. Shockwave. No scam. They work. Try the large rifle primers from CCI. Also make sure you are seating the primer in the adapter properly. Also check the fit of the adapter to your breech plug. They are a perfect fit in the TC breech plugs.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: txfireman
My accuracy improved immediately upon the switch from other primers.I went from 1-2 inch groups to touching groups at 100 yards consistantly.
How many different sabots did you try before changing to the Vari-Flame when it wasnt shooting well? I owned three Encores and all three with the right sabot bullet combination would equal what you are saying. It would be nice to hear from other Encore owners if they are having the same problems with accuracy with 209 primers that you are.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:52 AM

Tried several different ones based on advice gotten from folks more expert than me on here. Folks here are great for getting advice. The shotgun primers, kleanbores, ml primers all would not give me the groups that I have gotten since going to the Variflame system 18 months ago. The kleenbores were the worst groupers. So now i just use the various primers for fouling the bore prior to shooting. Other than that they sit in the box.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: txfireman

Tried several different ones based on advice gotten from folks more expert than me on here. Folks here are great for getting advice.
No doubt about that.

I would like to here from other Encore owners as well. I would hate to see another thing needed to be done to an Encore to make it accurate out of the box.Thanks for the information.

Quick Reply: Vari-Flame & CCI small rifle primers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.