Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 How Lehigh Bullets performaned in Tioga Pa. >

How Lehigh Bullets performaned in Tioga Pa.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

How Lehigh Bullets performaned in Tioga Pa.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How Lehigh Bullets performaned in Tioga Pa.

That's a rather extreme amount of damage IMO, but it certainly didthe job. I had to keep reminding myself while looking at those pictures that this bullet is actually designed to fragment. I'll give you props Grouse, it killed them. There's no doubting that.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here are the 250grn recovered bullets. After the petals sheering the weights are very close. Both bullets sheered exactly. One bullet weighed 174.6 the other weighed 175.5. Unbelievable how consistent they worked. I am overly excited about these bullets. I have been just bighting my tongue.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Huge holes, I am amazed that 4 small pieces of shrapnell (sp?) can blow a hole that big. Guess it is like a shotgun. Chap
Old 04-07-2009, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gleason.chapman

Huge holes, I am amazed that 4 small pieces of shrapnell (sp?) can blow a hole that big. Guess it is like a shotgun. Chap
I look at it the same way you did. The bullet is like nothing you have ever seen. The shock and trauma is just unexplainable. It compares to nothing i ever used. I mean nothing.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do want to mention, all the petals to the best of my knowledge stayed in the cavity of the animal. I checked the best i could and saw no meat damage from them at all. I wrapped all the meat of the two hogs myself to make sure. Three others helped after that.The meat from the rams was donated.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Grouse45

ORIGINAL: gleason.chapman

I look at it the same way you did. The bullet is like nothing you have ever seen. The shock and trauma is just unexplainable. It compares to nothing i ever used. I mean nothing.
Yes, this exit hole is pretty convincing:

As is this:

I have seen that type of EXIT Hole perfomance with 300g Barnes Expanders, but not the surrounding tissue damage which is evident---usually the chest cavity is jello, there is a little entrace hole and a HUGE exist hole, but no meat around the exit hole all beat to shreads like with the Lehigh--Bryce Towsley says this about the Expanders which I agree with:

Bottom line, they performed well, better than what you expected. I don't think we need "excellent bullets" for for broadside "bow shots" at deer or other big game, but when we shoot the length of an animal (intentional or unintentional) in rear of the guts, shooting for the off shoulder so as to traverse the vitals, that that is extreme confidence that your bullet is going to get to the vitals---penetrate well, and not overexpand and stop in the guts.Well constructed bullets will get you into the vital---great demo of a shot. The accuracy is there in the Disc Elite, the performance is there definitely.I think you havea winner. Another thing that suprised mewas it was a 200g, usually they don't penetrate as deep. Chap

Old 04-08-2009, 04:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

The top picture you posted was of the gut shot hog. That's were the bullet really impressed me. It made a bad shot a humane kill. That's a nice benefit for anyone in hunting conditions. We all like to think we can make the perfect shot but it alway's doesnt happen.

As far as accuracy they are accurate so far in four muzzleloaders. Knight Disc Elite 45 and 50. Knight Vision, and also the T/C Triumph. All Muzzleloaders are either using the short Black MMP'S or the short Black Harvesters. Both are very good sabots in my opinion.

The 200grn bullet was excellant. The hollow point on the 200 is shorter then the 250grn bullet. So the petals are smaller and more of the bullet blows thru. You could make the petals longer by making the bullet lighter. Drilling the hollow point deeper. After this past weekend i see no reason to alter that bullet at all.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Grouse45

The top picture you posted was of the gut shot hog. That's were the bullet really impressed me. It made a bad shot a humane kill. That's a nice benefit for anyone in hunting conditions. We all like to think we can make the perfect shot but it alway's doesnt happen.
Agreed, 100%, that is whyI buy premiuum bullets, so if you makea bad shot for some reason, you still have a good quick kill.Shoulder bladehits is a good example, it is not too far forward from a "right behind the should hit" and how many times have we heard of no penetration? Good example and good discussionGrause, I am a believer. I am going to print this to PDF and place it in my Bullet Performance folder under Lehigh.
Thanks for taking the time to do all the pictures, takingparticular shots you know are difficult, etc.
chap
Old 04-08-2009, 08:16 PM
Typical Buck

Very nice results! You can't argue with those holes. Thanks for sharing. I wonder how they work loaded in a 10MM handgun? *L*
Old 04-09-2009, 10:00 AM
Typical Buck

I will probably get a chance to see how accurate the 200sare in my 45 Accura tomorrow. I will be using the Harvester light blue CR sabots. That's all I have availably right now.

Quick Reply: How Lehigh Bullets performaned in Tioga Pa.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.