Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bullet's

Old 04-06-2009, 02:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bullet's

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

hunting junkie

i have to laugh, it looks like it is bigger than the truck
I know and I swear their was no trick photography involved - i was standing on the bank looking down... but it was a decent sized cow... There was a lot of steaks in the two hinys and they were good....

The .458/300 Sierra - really might surprise you in how well it flys. It is a Pro-Hunter designed for the 45-70 so it should be a shooter and do the job when it hits...
I have shoot the Speer 300g Unicore also in 45/70, they are not costly and few great. I am sure they would do well also, about like the Gold Dot, only difference is it is a true rifle bullet for 45/70 so designed for 2000 fps, so should do great in a MLer.
Chap
Old 04-06-2009, 03:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: fusion

I've spent a small fortune on New Bullets this winter (see below) to try in my Savage ML. Can't wait for a decent day to do some shooting.
Barnes Original, 300gr, .458
Sierra Pro Hunter 300gr, .458
Barnes TSX-FN, 300gr, .458
Nosler Partition, 300gr, .458
Here it the Product Review on the Barnes TSX-Flat Nose 300g 45/70 bullet, part NO 45843, at Midway.
I know from shooting the 300g Barnes Origonal SSP that 68g of H4198 is too much recoil for me, so I am dropping back to 53g, which is about what I have read is shot in a 45/70.
Chap

Old 04-06-2009, 03:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've spent a small fortune on New Bullets this winter (see below) to try in my Savage ML. Can't wait for a decent day to do some shooting.
Sierra Pro Hunter 300gr, .458
Barnes TSX-FN, 300gr, .458
Nosler Partition, 300gr, .458
It would be wise as you start your shooing of these different premiuum bullet, and choosing the most accurate to read all the Product Reviews on Cabelas, MidwayUSA. Look for bullet performance on game, I like the Africa hunters for plains game, they are very serious folks, they choose their bullets well their bullet well and they know the deal on huntingand most want 1 shot DRT performance. I like the Professional Hunters in Africa opinions also, any bullet that impress them impress me. If a you hear the words pencil thru or don't expand on close shots, you need to avoid that bullet for a MLer. These are4 great bullets.
Chap
Old 04-08-2009, 04:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

To back up what I experiened and reported above, here is what Barnes Says is the performance range of their 300g SSP: http://www.barnesbullets.com/information/bullet-talk/faq/#mrx

And in particular these words:

So in my Savage, with 67g of 4198, I was shooting about 2350 fps, plenty for the Barnes 300g Origonal Spire Point to expand, but you will be shooting closer to 2000, so at 100 yards, I don't think they will expand for you. They are honestly a long distance smokeless or hot load Blackhorn 209 bullet in my opinion--well constructed for sure--most of the time only 15% weight loss. I shot them one year and have 3 boxes of50which I think I will sell to Tar12 over on the Savage Forum if he wants them. I don't plan on using them again. You gotta kiss a lotta pigs before you find your bullet princess. Because of the .292 Ballistic Coefficient they are a "long range bullet" in my opinion.
Chap
Old 04-08-2009, 05:15 AM
Fork Horn

Chap,
if I can get good accuracy out of the Barnes TSX that would be my first choice as I think the terminal performance would be the best out of the four I had listed. Although Sabotloader's info on the Nosler is very impressive as well. I'm switching powder this year, going from AA5744 to IMR-SR-4759. Have you had any problems with hang fire or mis-fire with the 4198? . I am thinking 43 grains of the 4759 should get me near 2200 feet per second.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:12 AM
Typical Buck

Great info on the bullets guys!

However, I think we should keep the Smokeless loadings over on the Smokeless forum, as not to confuse any in-liners, for safety sake
Old 04-08-2009, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Chap,
if I can get good accuracy out of the Barnes TSX that would be my first choice as I think the terminal performance would be the best out of the four I had listed. Although Sabotloader's info on the Nosler is very impressive as well. I'm switching powder this year, going from AA5744 to IMR-SR-4759. Have you had any problems with hang fire or mis-fire with the 4198? . I am thinking 43 grains of the 4759 should get me near 2200 feet per second.
Yes. The very first time I shot 4198, I was shooting a Parker Ballistic Extreme with an MMP12, and it would pop the primer the bullet and all the power would shoot about 20 feet onto the ground. I did that 3 times and gave up, shot AA5744 the first year with PBE and MMP12, that ignited every time. Asked over on the Savage Forum what my problem was and it was "loose sabots" and not compressing the charge. Switched to .458 bullets with CR and they are VERY tight with 4198 and no swabbing, but if you put your ENTIRE weight into the bullet when seating it, then you don't have misfires. I like PBE, but they are a .450 bullet and sabot tightness is just not there for a Savage, should be good with BP or Subs, but not Blackhorn 209.

I have shot deer between the ribs and the Noslers that didn't expand, the MZ and TSX I am sure would because of huge hollow point and the grooves down on the inside of the TSX causing it to open quickly. I agree that would be the best terminal performer. In a Savage I think the TSX is better because it is .458 and it is designed for a 2000-2200fps 45/70, I think the MZ is designed for 1500 to 1900 inlines and basically that is the difference. I think the 45/70 are stronger, both open equally well in my opinion. I shot 3 deer last year with the Barnes MZ and all of them were DRT or within 20 yards. I like that type of terminal performance of the huge Hollow Point Barnes.
Chap
Old 04-08-2009, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: LaneNebraska

Great info on the bullets guys!

However, I think we should keep the Smokeless loadings over on the Smokeless forum, as not to confuse any in-liners, for safety sake
Your right, newby can make that error. Thanks for pointing that out. I will not put load info on Savages over here. Thanks Chap