Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hey Chap.....

Old 04-01-2009, 10:02 PM
Banned

Default Hey Chap.....

Hows this lookin?

362gr Powerbelt (Filler tip installed) 100gr RS
12+ Inches of wet sand it went through and exited.

308gr Powerbelt *custom tip installed* 100gr RS

I have a good # of Powerbelt Shooters set up with these to field test this year. Mostly on the east coast. I need some western staters!

I am not sure if i will use the 295 or 348gr Powerbelt this year with my tip installed. They are showing darn good results though.

Old 04-02-2009, 04:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hey Chap.....

That looks very good, not pancaked, still the "long shank showing" is thing of beauty says Craig Boddington. The theory on long shank is that the bulletis staying together (not fragmenting)and driving straight ahead, where you were aiming for, so the vital organs are shattered. A pancaked bulletexpands quickly and does not drive deep enought to get all the vital organs, so a long shank will shoot thru and destry more vital organs and disrupt blood flow to brain. 100g of RS with 362g, I am guessing 1700 fps, that would be great for anything under 150--deer, elk, bear, buffalo. I think that would do well. Wet sand is certainly tougher than lungs and heart, so I think your on to something for holding together a powerbelt. 12" is generally theminimum penetration that folks like to see for quick lethal kills. I think you will get shoot thru with that bullet weight, it looks like it is expanding quite well and holding together quite well.

I would say, based on bullet selection, that your trying to improve an easy loading bullet, and easy loading was your primary criteria on bullet selection. They are the #1 bullet for MLer hunting and they do kill well most of the time, we all know when they don't--I don't want to get into that here or now.
Chap
Old 04-02-2009, 09:22 AM
Banned

This one is good out to 200yards with 100gr RS. A little over 890+ ft lbs. The booklet says 1515 @ muzzle but that is with pellets.

Anyone ever tested pyrodex pellets vs loose RS?
Old 04-02-2009, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

MD54,

Looks like that idea is coming along nicely. I was working on something very similar a couple of years ago. I made a mould type jig that would allow me to pourmolten lead into the HP of a PB and then cut the sprue off like a regular mould. Unfortunately I never got to the point of testing the PB's I modified. Based on your results I may just have to go back and finish up that little project and give them a try. Thanks for the report.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:37 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: dmurphy317

MD54,

Looks like that idea is coming along nicely. I was working on something very similar a couple of years ago. I made a mould type jig that would allow me to pourmolten lead into the HP of a PB and then cut the sprue off like a regular mould. Unfortunately I never got to the point of testing the PB's I modified. Based on your results I may just have to go back and finish up that little project and give them a try. Thanks for the report.
Would be more than happy to send you some to try out. The 295s and 348s are really impressive with this tip installed.

I shot one today at 100 yards into freshly snowed on sand, that stuff was a mess! The bullet i pulled out of there was just insane! I'll post a picture of the bullet tonight.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I appreciate the offer but I am more focused on finding a job right now, I was laid off 8 weeks ago and it seems more jobs are going away than are being created.

I would like to see the picture you mentioned when you get a chance.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:23 AM
Banned

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Its the same way down here. Our main support has cut jobs off and even stopped drilling natural gas wells. They did 150 last year and this year due to prices they are drilling ZERO this year.

Heres the other bullet i shot into the sloppy sand,