Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
which muzzleloader too buy? >

which muzzleloader too buy?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

which muzzleloader too buy?

Old 04-01-2009, 06:38 AM
Fork Horn

Default which muzzleloader too buy?

Im currently in the market on buying a muzzle loader. I want too spend up too $600. I been reading alot on different makes and models some good some really bad. I want a gun with a thumb grip. Please point me in the wright direction on getting a good muzzleloader and letting me know how u like your gun. thanks

Last edited by IOWAWHITETAILS; 11-26-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Which Muzzleloader too buy??

There are a lot of good MLs out there with the thumbhole stocks. I'm not really an inline shooter (only have one) but prefer the traditional MLs. However there are guys in here that can help you out. I've had a CVA Optima Pro that I was very satisfied with and it shot really good. But I traded it off for a T/C Hawken. And it was well under $600. More like a tad over $200.
Depending on your needs, this may be all you will ever need. Some other quality rifles include the T/C line, Knight, Savage and others. IMO I think you do pay a little extra for the name on some of these. Bottom line is you take the advice given, try several models out for fit and make you own decision. Good luck and let us know what you decide on.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

IOWAWHITETAILS

I can only share wtih you my thoughts, but I have to tell you that the TC Omegas and the new version of the Omega - the Triumph - really are very good ML's. Another feature is the fact that TC offers a lifetime warranty on thier products.

The other ML that I am really satisfied with is the Knight Disc series. I have a Disc Extreme.They are made like a 'tank' for construction - really a sound structure. The shoot very well and are equipped with a Green Mountain barrel. Knight will be offering a brand new 'super' disc series here very shortly and it might also be a consideration.

You will need to check your local ML restrictions also to see what the regulations might limit it you to.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:34 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for input bronko and sabotloader. A buddy of my shoots tradition and is real happy with it. The local gun shop told me too stay away from T/C hard too pack and been reading on here that people had some problems with CVA. But it just might be a few instances. So keep chiming Im getting ansie, my money is burning a whole in my pocket!!
Old 04-01-2009, 07:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

IOWAWHITETAILS

You might check a TC triumph it is really light when it comes to a ML... This is with Scope, base and rings

It would really be an easy pack... And it does come with a thumbhole if you so desire...

CVA's especially the new Accura can be a quality gun... I probably would not purchase one but they are really trying to make up lost ground.

I had forgot to mention that Knight or Sportmans Guide has a tremendous deal going on the Vison right now... check this thread.. Not sure about a thumbhole stock though

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=3359492
Old 04-01-2009, 08:12 AM
Typical Buck

I have an early Omega and as stated they can have very tight barrels. Now that you can buy a wider selection of sabots to match with your bullets they are less trouble but you still have to do the matching as most over the counter sabot/bullet combinations will not work in my T/C. Knights and CVA (especially the ones with Bergara barrels) are much more forgiving with over the counter combinations. I am not a Traditions fan although some really like them. Some of the Knight rifles will not shoot the new Blackhorn 209 powder although some do. Most of the newer CVA rifles will as well as most of the T/C rifles. Watch for stocks that will not allow open sight use. My Knight rolling block is basically set up for scope use and trying to get to the open sights is difficult due to the comb rise. Not sure what your state requirements are as some do not allow scopes. Hope you find what feels good to you. I would not rule our T/C, Knight, or CVA (the newer ones) as they all can be had with thumbhole stocks and all will shoot better than most can hold. The Knights have a Green Mountain barrel which is super although I personally feel the new Bergara barrels from CVA are just as good. You might also keep in mind that some of the rifles have better triggers than others. Knights seem to come with the best trigger as received with my CVA Optima Elite a close second. The Optima Elite can also accept centerfire barrels as can the T/C Encore series.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:18 AM
Fork Horn

You guys are alot of help for someone not knowing much about, is learning more by the minute!! appreciate the comments
Old 04-01-2009, 08:20 AM
Typical Buck

I have a T C Encore I bought for 400 It is an excellent muzzleloader and it is nice to be able to put a rifle barrel on it. It you are going traditional I would recomend TC or Lyman guns I have both and Both are accurate and excellent weapons.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:25 AM
Typical Buck

Check out Natchezss.com they have the Remington Genesis and a few of us have them and they are very easy on the wallet and a good shooting gun.
Search old posts......Dave(cayugad) always puts up nice reviews.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: IOWAWHITETAILS

You guys are alot of help for someone not knowing much about, is learning more by the minute!! appreciate the comments

Just wait until you buy one and then start talking scopes and loads......the fun is just begininng.

Quick Reply: which muzzleloader too buy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.