Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
which muzzleloader too buy? >

which muzzleloader too buy?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

which muzzleloader too buy?

Old 04-02-2009, 06:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Which Muzzleloader too buy??

Did you ever get your Mustang back Semi?
Not yet Flounder. Dixon ML forwarded it to Lyman (I assume Middletown, CT) on Feb. 18th.

The Lyman website says that for warranty repairs "Your Lyman product will be repaired or replaced and returned to you within 30 days of our receipt" (so I figured six weeks). I would assume the same time frame would apply to "out of warranty" repairs. It also says that for out of warranty repairs"Appropriate charges will apply for parts and labor. Estimates are available only when the item has been thoroughly inspected by our repair personnel." But I haven't heard from themyet about an estimate.

Here's the funny (sad?)thing. About a week ago Lyman changed their web page to eliminate the Mustang from the list of guns to send to Dixon ML for factory repair (after my second e-mailinforming them that Dixonsays they repairsidelocks only), but they didn't add anything about where to send a Mustang. You have to assume it's to be sent to theMiddletown address they use for all "other" Lyman products.Maybe they don't handle the Mustang in Middletown either, and had to send it back to Italy.

Anyway, if I don't hear anything in another week or twoI'll be making some phone calls. I've hesitated to bug them considering the possibility that they may be repairing it with no charge.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: IOWAWHITETAILS

I decided Im going with the CVA ACCURA Realtreee with Nikon Omega BDC ordering it tomorrow through the local shop. (cheaper)

Now for you guys that shoot it what are you packen?? A guy at cabellas that has the gun shoots:

100 Grain Tripple 7 pellets
300 Grain Powerbelt Platinum
Tripple 7 priemer ( i think)

Since your buying a BDC scope, I think this is the wrong bullet, wrong powder and wrong primer. Lets gets some basic info from you.

First cost. Is cost a big consideration for you? Are you going to be shooting the rilfe a lot say 1/week 20 times an outing?

What will be your longest shot you would like to take?

How important is terminal performance, choices:

want DRT
want dead within 20 yards
willing to track a ways 50 yards
will to track 100 yards
willing to track up to 250 yards

Would you choose a bullet that penetrates better over a bullet that is more accurate, or would you choose the bullet that is most accurate all the time?

Put a number beside how important each factor is to you

accuracy
expansion
shoot thru
penetration

Most people would rank accuracy 1, penetration 2, expansion 3 and shoot thru 4, what would be your ranking of these factors in importance?

Once you do these we can suggest a bullet that will fit your needs.

Example, i want a bullet that is not costly, shoots 150 yards, is accurate as heck, expands well, provides shoot thru and has excellent penetration, tracking up to say 50 yards.I would say the 300gGold Dotwith 110g of Blackhorn with Win Primers and sabot that fits the bore of that gun. A 250g Gold Dot would work, also a 300g XTP would work. Sight in 2.5 to 3" high at 100.
Chap

Chap
Old 04-03-2009, 06:03 AM
Fork Horn

First cost. Is cost a big consideration for you? No Are you going to be shooting the rilfe a lot say 1/week 20 times an outing? Not much just sighting in and then hunting with it! Id say 20 times per outing sighting in

What will be your longest shot you would like to take? at most 200 yds

want DRT
will to track 100 yards *****

Would you choose a bullet that penetrates better over a bullet that is more accurate, or would you choose the bullet that is most accurate all the time? bullet that is most accurate all the time?

accuracy 1
expansion 3
shoot thru 4
penetration 2

Most people would rank accuracy 1, penetration 2, expansion 3 and shoot thru 4, what would be your ranking of these factors in importance?

Example, i want a bullet that is not costly, shoots 150 yards, is accurate as heck, expands well, provides shoot thru and has excellent penetration, tracking up to say 50 yards.I would say the 300gGold Dotwith 110g of Blackhorn with Win Primers and sabot that fits the bore of that gun. A 250g Gold Dot would work, also a 300g XTP would work. Sight in 2.5 to 3" high at 100.
Chap

Chap

I wanna stay with the pellets if I can since just starting out may be easier!!
Old 04-03-2009, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

The BDC reticle was specifically designed for 150g of T7 pellets and a 250g Shockwave. But you don't have to shoot that load if you buy a BDC scope. Just pick a load you like and then figure out where you need to aim to hit where you want. It's that simple. Test, test, and then test again.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:55 AM
Typical Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: IOWAWHITETAILS

I decided Im going with the CVA ACCURA Realtreee with Nikon Omega BDC ordering it tomorrow through the local shop. (cheaper)

Congradulations; of the three you narrowed your choice down this is the one I would have picked also. I am pretty sure the Accura has the Bergara barrel and in my opinon there is not another barrel that is any better. I have read the procedures that Bergara uses to make those barrels and they have added honeing processes that others do not use. I also like the action on the Accura although I do not have one yet (notice I said yet).
Old 04-03-2009, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Have two Accura, both are excellent shooters and don't seem very picky about loads. I would recommend Blackhorn 209 for that rifle.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:57 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Underclocked

Have two Accura, both are excellent shooters and don't seem very picky about loads. I would recommend Blackhorn 209 for that rifle.

+1

I shoot BH 209 out of my Accura and several different loads. All good!
Old 04-04-2009, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: IOWAWHITETAILS

First cost. Is cost a big consideration for you? No Are you going to be shooting the rilfe a lot say 1/week 20 times an outing? Not much just sighting in and then hunting with it! Id say 20 times per outing sighting in

What will be your longest shot you would like to take? at most 200 yds

want DRT
will to track 100 yards *****

Would you choose a bullet that penetrates better over a bullet that is more accurate, or would you choose the bullet that is most accurate all the time? bullet that is most accurate all the time?

accuracy 1
expansion 3
shoot thru 4
penetration 2

Chap

Chap

I wanna stay with the pellets if I can since just starting out may be easier!!
I hear ya, I shot pellets for 5 years for exactly the same reason, stay with 3 777 50g pellets.I am going to recommend two bullets and you should get a package of each and see if they shoot well for you in your guns at 150g. I recommend the
275g Parker Ballistic Extreme and the
300g Barnes T-EZ

pick whichever is most accurate in your gun. I think both will be accurate, and if they both are equally as accurate, I would choose the 300g Barnes because there would be no weight loss and deeper penetration. I do believe, based on my experience that the Parker will be more accurate, and that was your number 1 criteria. They just shoot well in about every gun, they are expensive.

Both of these bullets will get you to 200 yards no problem and with your BDC scope, I am sure you can shoot 250 accurately. Chap

Old 04-04-2009, 04:41 PM
Banned

bullet performance, i look for a big hole and lots of blood.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:38 PM
Spike

Shoot the Accura and your looking is over

Quick Reply: which muzzleloader too buy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.