Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 A good day to shoot. >

A good day to shoot.

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

A good day to shoot.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:59 AM
Dominant Buck

Default A good day to shoot.

Well it was a rotten day out today. Overcast, windy and in the 20's. A near perfect day for shooting I thought. But I wanted to move back from the woods more, so I hooked a four wheeler to my shooting table (after I melted the legs out of the ice, and pulled that back to a part of the yard where I could shoot and not have to be standing on ice all the time. Now I can shoot up to 75 yards if I am willing to walk the snow. The mud is not to bad with a bad knee but that snow gives me troubles.

So I got the target out to 50 yards and decided I could spot my hits with binoculars. I then got the T/C Hawkin out with the .45 caliber Green Mountain Barrel on it. Fiber optic sights are not my favorite. This thing will have a scope on it real soon. I loaded up 80 grains of Triple Seven 2f and a .451 bull shop 460 grain conical bullet.

This load is a pure guess. When the weather is better I will work with the rifle to find what it likes. But I just wanted to shoot that new barrel. It was hitting low and left. So I worked up up a litte (once too much) and finally was shoot left of the center. To check it was the rifle and not me I aimed to the right of the bull center and put two in there.

The .451 loaded slip fit. Not a problem loading. But if you did not swab I got fliers. Still I shot what was in the box off.

Then I wanted to shoot the new T/C New Englander .50 caliber I bought from Corey. I decided 80 grains of Pyrodex RS and a moose milk patched ball. I was aiming for that turkey. It too was shooting left, but when I checked Corey's rear sight, it was all the way to the left. So I made an adjustment and shot two more which were a little better.

The New Englander has a problem in the ignition. Nothing serious. Just you put the cap on, the first strike sets the cap and the second fires it. All I need to do it go to a bigger cap then the 1075 RWS like the CCI Magnums or reduce the nipple diameter just a little. When it gets dirty, it acts up. Also that trigger is a little stiff. Nothing I can not handle, but I might send that in to T/C and let them fix it.

I did shoot one maxiball out of the New Englander. I aimed dead center on the big bull and was surprised it hit that low. Although the rifle was fouled bad so that might have had something to do with it.

Over all it was good to get out and shoot. Bad weather is headed my way again they claim.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: A good day to shoot.

Well it was a rotten day out today. Overcast, windy and in the 20's. A near perfect day for shooting I thought.
Ya` just gotta` love a dedicated shooter.

If you get those big Bull Shops shooting well in the LRH I'll have to give them a try. I do like big lead.

So far, the best shooting bullet in my blue .45 LRH barrelis the 285 grain Great Plains.

AndCayugad, you'd best be careful posting targets from that New Englander. Corey is going to want it back.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use the 1075 caps on my Renegade. You can't seat the cap fully with finger pressure. I lower the hammer very carefully onto the cap, then "gently" push down on the hammer to seat it. You can tell easily when it is all the way onI tried this several tiems with an unloaded gun and could not make the cap go off, even by pushing hard.

You then have to pry the cap off with a knife or key or whatever else is handy, if you don't shoot the gun. I believe a cap put on like that forms a very tight seal against water too.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

At least someone had fun today. Good shooting!
Old 03-26-2009, 12:43 PM
Fork Horn

I went to the range yesterday it was terrible. The temp was 55 degrees the sun was shining and there was a slight breeze. I just couldn't shoot a good group with my TC Hawken with the GM LRH barrel under those conditions. I need the cold temps and winds over 30mph in order to concentrate.Oh well, Its suppose to rain tomorrow so maybe I'll try again.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:13 PM
Typical Buck

I'm jealous! [:@]
Old 03-26-2009, 02:14 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: cayugad

The New Englander has a problem in the ignition. Nothing serious. Just you put the cap on, the first strike sets the cap and the second fires it. All I need to do it go to a bigger cap then the 1075 RWS like the CCI Magnums or reduce the nipple diameter just a little. When it gets dirty, it acts up. Also that trigger is a little stiff. Nothing I can not handle, but I might send that in to T/C and let them fix it.

I did shoot one maxiball out of the New Englander. I aimed dead center on the big bull and was surprised it hit that low. Although the rifle was fouled bad so that might have had something to do with it.

Over all it was good to get out and shoot. Bad weather is headed my way again they claim.
Dave, I had a problem when using pyrodex when I had the New England. I installed a musket from TC that curedthat problem. The New England was a .54 and very accurate with the maxi.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:03 PM
Dominant Buck

This shot off the Pyrodex RS just fine. After the first cap was set. In my Hawkins .45 I was kind of worried using 2f T-7 might be a problem but it went off just fine in there also.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's getting there,real good start.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:10 PM
Dominant Buck

I was not looking for accuracy, I was just wanting to shoot and throw some lead. I have some sabots to try, but I want to throw a 1x32mm scope on here first.

Quick Reply: A good day to shoot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.