Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Cabela's customer service. You judge it. >

Cabela's customer service. You judge it.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Cabela's customer service. You judge it.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Cabela's customer service. You judge it.

In March 2001 I took a trip to Ohio to get a dog I bought. On the way home I stopped at Dundee Michigan where there is a cabela's. I bought an electronic powder scale, tight wad me I chose it over a RCBS and a PACT model that were identcal but $10.00 & &15.00 more money.
I sat down a few days latter and reloaded every case I had for every caliber. When I was finished I placed the scale in the orginal carton with the padding it came in. I put in a high shelf on my loading bench where it stayed till Febuary. I got it down put a new battery in it and it would not do much except say ON. I looked in the owners manual for a fix and found none. I did find the customer service number. I gave them a call talked to a lady about it who knew nothing so transfered my call to a teckie. He came right out and told me that model was not good at all includeing the RCBS & Pact models. He said to send it back.
I sent it in and got a letter from them saying it was junk and could not be fixed. Since it was so old they would give me 45% of orginal value on a trade for a different one. I figured it was better than a kick in the butt with a frozen boot or a sharp stick to the eye so I searched Cabelas web site for a new one. I found a RCBS rangemaster 750. in my price range.
I called RCBS about the scale and they told me it was one of their better ones for the price. While talking I asked about the old RCBS same as I had. He said they were junk and if I had one they would refund my money.

I guess I am happy with the out come because Cabelas could have just said tough luck. I won't buy their brand stuff any more I do know that.

Al
Old 03-25-2009, 06:57 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Cabela's customer service. You judge it.

They are on the expensive side most of the time but I think their customer service is the best and you can buy with confidence.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:42 PM
Fork Horn

I have always had good luck with Cabelas. The few items that I have had trouble with they have more than made right. Also, if you order through the mail they send a prepaid return label with the merchandise so you aren't out anything if you have to return it. With that being said, I usually try to wait until it is in the Bargain Cave to order if I don't have to have it right away. I have to wear casual pants or slacks for my job and if I wait until they are on clearance at Cabelas.com I can get some very nice and durable pants for less than $20 per pair that are better than the $50 Dockers I have bought.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:19 PM
Dominant Buck

Cabela's is a good store. Their sale items are a good deal but otherwise they are a little expensive.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

No problems here. I like Cabelas.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:24 AM
Fork Horn

In 1989 I ordered a Hatfield 50 cal flintlock rifle. I hunted with it that season and shot a nice doe. I fired several hundred balls through it that year. Sometime later it got to the point that it wouldn't cock. I looked inside the lock and discovered that the tip of the sear was chipped off.

I called Cabelas and asked where I could buy the replacement part. The rifle had a one year warenty. The lady I spoke with asked when I had bought the rifle. I told her I didn't remember but it had been more than a year. She asked my name and with that she pulled the sales record and told me that it was 14 month ago and to send the rifle back and she would send me a new on.

A few weeks later I received a new rifle which I still own today. Needless to say Cabelas made a friend and loyal customer that day.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

For many items I will pay a little extra for the better service and/or policies.

I recently ordered some bullets from one site, as they were cheapest there. They got backordered just as they were EVERYWHERE. However, virtually everyone else got them in stock weeks before this site did. I looked up their policy and found that once you place an order, you cannot cancel or modify it in any way even if the item is backordered indefinitely!

In retrospect, I could have gone with a distributor $2-3 more expensive for that pack of bullets and either got them more quickly or at least cancel the order while it was on backorder.

No problems with Cabelas other than the last couple times I went into their retail stores they had a crappy selection of product. I walked into the one in NW Indiana outside Chicago leading into hunting season this year, to find the store almost bare -- quite literally. The staff were polite and explained it was merchandise switchover, but admitted that for about a month virtually nothing would be in stock. Poor way to operate when many of your customers drive in from miles away and cannot utilize the "pick up in store" option.
Old 03-28-2009, 02:59 AM
Fork Horn

anytime I've ever had any reason to return something to cabelas they have given me full credit for it. I recently purchased a burris timberline scope, mounted it, shot it, decided I didn't like it, called cabelas told them all the above and was asked if I had the original paper work that came with it (she said I didn't need it but it would help) told her yes and she gave me full credit that I put to a signiture II scope. I give them a A+++
Old 03-28-2009, 07:38 AM
Spike

The customer service in Canada is a little different. I recently purchased a spotting scope that was on sale from Cabelas. When it arrive, I took it out of the packaging and set it up to check it out as you would with any new piece of equipment. The item just wasn't going to work for me so I called Cabelas and asked for a return authorization for a credit towards a different model. The lady indicated that I could only return the item if it was in the original packaging and unused. She indicated with the order what replacement item I would want. So I returned the item in along with a screen print, from their website, of the item I wanted as a replacement. Sometime between the time I did the screen print and the item arriving back at Cabelas the price increased by $50. And yes, I was charged the higher price even though my screen print clearly showed the lower price.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:05 AM
Fork Horn

I have a tent (Alaska guide model) that was ripped when I was putting up (heavy wind ) it got away and blew in top of tree, I tried to get Cabela's to sell me a new fly,They wouldn't do that? so I sent the whole tent back and they sent me a new one plus shipping charges. They are tops for me
RC

Quick Reply: Cabela's customer service. You judge it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.