Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Patch dispenser

Old 03-24-2009, 04:49 AM
Fork Horn

Default Patch dispenser

I use pillow ticking to patch my round balls. I cut them in about 1.25 wide strips, pregrease them and roll them up tight. I took an old 35mm plastic film canister and cut a quarter inch(or so) slot from top to bottem, leaving the upper rim intact and shove the roll of patching into the canister and thread the loose end of the patch through the slot and pull ot out as i need it. I pull it over the muzzle, start the ball and cut the patch.

This is a clean and easy way to patch a ball.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:42 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Patch dispenser

Great Idea !!!
Old 03-24-2009, 08:43 AM
Typical Buck

Good Idea-film cansiters are handy for lots of things. i use them for powder charges at the range. Cheap too-I go to the drugstore and they give me a grocery bag full for nothing.

Charlie
Old 03-24-2009, 05:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

what do you use to cut patch at muzzle

do you grease ONLY 1 side of the material
Old 03-29-2009, 06:12 AM

ORIGINAL: sproulman

I don't know what others use but I just use my knife to cut the patches. they do make a patch cutter though.I doubt that you would get a consistent lubed patch if you grease only one side. The patch lube is important for accuracy. The best way to get the consistency you need is to use a water soluble oil and mix it at 7:1, soak the patches good then lay them out to dry. When the water dries the patches remain slick and lubricated . They also are lubricated the same. This controls one more of the many variables. Then put them in the film canister so they stay that way.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

nice idea also.

i did a little different on your idea, not much.

i have 3 tubes of bore butter to use up,so i put it on my cut patching in microwave.

then into flim canister but i have it sticking under cap,not thru side.

reason is,i want to seal the bore butter patch material so it does not dry out .

with cut, air can get in.

i just pull out a little and keep cap on snug.

after this is gone, i am using your idea on dry patching which i wont have to seal up tight to prevent drying out.

thanks for idea.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: greatplainshunter

ORIGINAL: sproulman

I don't know what others use but I just use my knife to cut the patches. they do make a patch cutter though.I doubt that you would get a consistent lubed patch if you grease only one side. The patch lube is important for accuracy. The best way to get the consistency you need is to use a water soluble oil and mix it at 7:1, soak the patches good then lay them out to dry. When the water dries the patches remain slick and lubricated . They also are lubricated the same. This controls one more of the many variables. Then put them in the film canister so they stay that way.
are you talking about BALLISTOL.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:33 PM

[/quote]

are you talking about BALLISTOL.
[/quote]
ballistol is probably the best. that's what i use . But there are other water soluble oils out there.Drilling and cutting oil works pretty good. I would stick with ballistol though if it was me.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:08 AM
Fork Horn

I use my pocket knife to cut my patches at the muzzle. In a frying pan I heat my lard just above the melting point being careful not to overheat the grease as I dont want to fry the patch material. I dip my strips of pillow ticking in the grease using pliars to hold the material because of the heat.

Because the grease becoms liqued after heating it is absorbed completely through the patching material. When the greased strips have cooled enough to handle I roll them up, squeeze out the excess grease and tie them with a string untill needed. My favorite grease is bear lard and when I don.t have this on hand I use crisco.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

[quote]ORIGINAL: Mr.Flintlock

I use my pocket knife to cut my patches at the muzzle. In a frying pan I heat my lard just above the melting point being careful not to overheat the grease as I dont want to fry the patch material. I dip my strips of pillow ticking in the grease using pliars to hold the material because of the heat.

good idea,i just got done doing it in micro-wave with bore butter.

only thing i do, but your idea is to just use cap to hold the strip after i pull it out.

this way my strips stay wet and dont dry out with air getting into them but if you are going to shoot the strip the same day, your idea is better.

what i may do is cut one like yours, put the strip in it at range,after done then put it in a sealed one to keep it moist.

thanks for idea. THE SPROULMAN

Quick Reply: Patch dispenser

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.