Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 **Range Report** I found my new sabot for the Barnes T-EZ >

**Range Report** I found my new sabot for the Barnes T-EZ

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

**Range Report** I found my new sabot for the Barnes T-EZ

Old 03-21-2009, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default **Range Report** I found my new sabot for the Barnes T-EZ

I went to the range today on a quest to find a better sabot to use with the 250g Barnes T-EZ. I had tried the 290g T-EZ out of my Encore Endeavor and it grouped pretty well. And it performed great on a hog I killed not too long ago. I switched to the 250g for a little more added distance and because it's pretty much all I need for deer and hogs. I also purchased some 250g Barnes TMZ's and gave them a go while I was at it.

Here's the target I testing these bullets on today...

First I tried 3 of the 250g Barnes TMZ's with their supplied sabots. The group was acceptable under my standards but still not quite the accuracy I was searching for...

Next I tried the 250g Barnes T-EZ with it's supplied sabot...

Then I started playing with sabots a little. Chuck from Modern Muzzleloaders had recommended the MMP HPH12 and it turned out that he was absolutely right. This sabot grouped great and was the best out of the ones I tried. I think I rushed the third shot a little otherwise I feel it would have been with the other two. These sabots were very tight...

I don't know why but the picture rotated itself when I uploaded it to photobucket...

I was very satisfied with the results of the HPH12 but I figured I'd give the others a try anyway. Next I tired the Harvester Black EZ Load sabot. This sabot loaded pretty loose and I didn't really expect much...

Then I tried the MMP HPH24. This sabot also loaded loose. Again, the picture is rotated. Sorry...

I'm glad I tried the others just to see what they would do. And it turns out that the Harvester sabots grouped great out ofJim's Savage with the 250g Hornaday XTP's. So I gave them to him.

All of these shots were fired at 100 yards out of my TC Encore Endeavor with 120 volumetric grains of BH209 and CCI 209M primers. I fire my shots from a bench using only a sand bag as a rest. I don't like using any kind of vice or rest accessories because I'm not going to hunt that way. I swabbed the bore clean and cleaned the breech plug in between every shot to get the bore as close to hunting conditions as possible. I also fired a fouling primer before each load.
Old 03-21-2009, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: **Range Report** I found my new sabot for the Barnes T-EZ

That was a quick $25 bucks

Looks like the 12s are the ones. Glad to hear you found your pet load. You should be set.
Old 03-21-2009, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice group.That cleaning routine must take all day.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:32 PM
Fork Horn

Those 12's seat really well apparently with the BH for a great load.....good shootin'.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hunting junkie

Nice group.That cleaning routine must take all day.
It sure does. But I don't mind because I'd rather know exactly where that first shot is going to go when I'm sighted in on an animal. It can be several inches off without swabbing.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SWThomas
It can be several inches off without swabbing.
I would send that gun back. Or you mighthave something wrong with scope or bases. Let Chuck check it out for you in Crossville if you take it.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:34 PM
Banned

a couple more cans of bh209 and you will almost be done.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SWThomas

I went to the range today on a quest to find a better sabot to use with the 250g Barnes T-EZ. I had tried the 290g T-EZ out of my Encore Endeavor and it grouped pretty well. And it performed great on a hog I killed not too long ago. I switched to the 250g for a little more added distance and because it's pretty much all I need for deer and hogs. I also purchased some 250g Barnes TMZ's and gave them a go while I was at it.

Here's the target I testing these bullets on today...

First I tried 3 of the 250g Barnes TMZ's with their supplied sabots. The group was acceptable under my standards but still not quite the accuracy I was searching for...

Next I tried the 250g Barnes T-EZ with it's supplied sabot...

Then I started playing with sabots a little. Chuck from Modern Muzzleloaders had recommended the MMP HPH12 and it turned out that he was absolutely right. This sabot grouped great and was the best out of the ones I tried. I think I rushed the third shot a little otherwise I feel it would have been with the other two. These sabots were very tight...

I don't know why but the picture rotated itself when I uploaded it to photobucket...

I was very satisfied with the results of the HPH12 but I figured I'd give the others a try anyway. Next I tired the Harvester Black EZ Load sabot. This sabot loaded pretty loose and I didn't really expect much...

Then I tried the MMP HPH24. This sabot also loaded loose. Again, the picture is rotated. Sorry...

I'm glad I tried the others just to see what they would do. And it turns out that the Harvester sabots grouped great out ofJim's Savage with the 250g Hornaday XTP's. So I gave them to him.

All of these shots were fired at 100 yards out of my TC Encore Endeavor with 120 volumetric grains of BH209 and CCI 209M primers. I fire my shots from a bench using only a sand bag as a rest. I don't like using any kind of vice or rest accessories because I'm not going to hunt that way. I swabbed the bore clean and cleaned the breech plug in between every shot to get the bore as close to hunting conditions as possible. I also fired a fouling primer before each load.
Excellent report SW, when you say you cleaned the breech plug in between every shot do you mean every group of three or every shot? I think you have your hunting load, that 4th group with the mmp12 looks very nice, and you know what the Barnes 6 petals look like on game.
Best Wishes, you are "dialed in",
Chap

Old 03-22-2009, 06:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm a bit surprised to see such a big group using the Barnes Sabots, I use them and get very good groups in my Triumph. I also use Harvester CR Black Sabots in my lady's Triumph and the group is great there too, allat 100 yards. We use the 250 grain TEZ w/777 100grains of pellets.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:05 AM
Dominant Buck

That is a monster powerful load you have there. Any hog takes a hit from that it will be lights out. Good luck hog hunting..

Quick Reply: **Range Report** I found my new sabot for the Barnes T-EZ

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.