Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 T17 Black Powder Solvent >

T17 Black Powder Solvent

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

T17 Black Powder Solvent

Old 03-17-2009, 05:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default T17 Black Powder Solvent

Don't know if you guys ready my comment on this stuff. But I ready where a couple of you were using it so when I was at the gun shop the other day, I grabbed a bottle of it to try. I was running low on #13 so I figured why not.
After my last session with the new 45 barrel and not being able to clean it right away, I ran a patch of T17 down the bore, both sides and didn't get of give it its bath until later.
When I was done the water was just as clean as when I put it in the container.
I probably didn't even have to wash that barrel out. That T17 removed all the powder residue with only one patch.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: T17 Black Powder Solvent

You guys are more expensive than my grandkids. Try this - try that. Get this barrel on sale. This gun is half off with a rebate. This lube will cut your trigger weight in half. It never ends. Can't you just leave a guy alone? But OK, I'll pick up a bottle of T17. (I've been using straight 91% alcohol for all of my swabbing and have been very happy.)
Old 03-18-2009, 05:04 AM
Fork Horn

I use the pre-soaked T17 patches... and use the spray T17 in my Encore breach area after removing the plug. Great stuff...
Old 03-18-2009, 06:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Semisane
Little side bet ??? The alk. works better. Lee
Old 03-18-2009, 01:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Semisane - I use the alcohol and windex 50/50 to swab between shots. I got the T17 to clean afterwards. I was low on the #13 so I figured I'd try it. It cleans really well. Besides, the stuff is cheap. My goodness Semisane I swear you'd squeeze a buffalo nickle until the buffalopooped.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

I used to use Butch's Black Powder Bore Shine. It's really good stuff but not cheap. Then I kept reading about the 50/50 mixof windshield washer fluid and alcohol, so I checked the ingredients on my bottle of washer fluid and found out it's nothing much more thanwater and alcohol and by doing a 50/50 mix all I was doing was increasing the percent of alcohol. So I started mixing 50/50 91% alcohol and water and it worked fine. Then I tried the straight 91% alcohol and found it worked fine also, but I didn't need to dry patch because it evaporated so fast in the bore. So I've been using straight alcohol for the last year with excellent results.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

bronko22000

Why even mix the windex 50/50? I use straight original blue windex, as a cleaner and bore swab... no Alcohol needed.

If you are using it for a bore swab just moisten the parct - do not get it wet or even damp - just moist like a spit patch then a dry patch is not even needed, the ammonia in the windex evaps and carries H2O with it.

This is how i make mine...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/sabotloader/WinPatch.jpg

At home I have prepared windex patches that are much wetter, wit them I swab the barrel until I get clean patches. Then if the gun is going to be storedI will strip and really clean it. If I am going to use it again in a few days... I will run abore oil patch (in my case MX-BC) both sides and then a coupledry patches...

Old 03-18-2009, 04:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sabot, I was doing the same thing with the #13 solvent. I guess that's why I ran low. I guess it just goes to show you that we all have our own cleaners. I thought I would try the T17 cause it is supposed to remove the powder residue and also any residue left by the sabot. I guess it isn't as cheap as windex or alcohol but as long as I have it I am going to use it. I like the way it cleans.
Oh yeah, I do only lightly dampen the patch when I swab between shots. And usually run both sides of the patch down the bore.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

For cleaning after a range session, what's wrong with good old HOT soapy water (I just use dish soap) in a 5 gallon bucket? It's cheaper than all the other stuff already mentioned, and all my ML's come out squeeky clean with just the hot soapy water and a bore mop. I can see this stuff as a field expedient cleaning method to prevent rusting if one can't do the full out hot soapy water cleaning right away, but plain drugstore 91% alcohol and windex work well too, and are probably cheaper and are usually readily available at any drug or grocery store and have other uses around the house. I'm not sold on the high-priced BP cleaners.

Mike

Old 03-18-2009, 08:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

bronko22000

Actually I think that T17 cleaner is a very good cleaner and seems to work well.