Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Leupold and Nikon off track? >

Leupold and Nikon off track?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Leupold and Nikon off track?

Old 03-15-2009, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Leupold and Nikon off track?

I have been a avid Leupold nut for years. Over a year ago i started playing around with the Nikon Omega BDC muzzleloader scope. I really ended up not liking that reticle but love the Nikoplex reticle. Little thicker cross hairs and 5" eye relief just works really well for me. The scope seems very clear in all light conditions as well.

I actually bought one of the new Leupold Ultimate slam scopes, and Leupold actually sent me one to play around with. To make a long story short, i havent really played with it. I did mount it on my Knight Vision and shot it with really nothing special to brag about. Good glass, very clear and well made like any other Leupold scope. These Nikons really impress me for some reason and i dont really know why. Do any of you like Nikon scopes? How do you compare the Buckmasters to the Leupolds? I'm anxious to hear some other opinions on these scopes
Old 03-15-2009, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Leupold and Nikon off track?

I use to have a Nikon ProStaff on my Genesis and I loved it. I have a Buckmaster on my Rem 700 and love it. And I have an Omega BDC on my Endeavor and love it too. IMO, Nikon has the best scopes on the market... and yes I have had experience with other scopes. Leupold, Bushnell, Burris. You just never hear anything bad about Nikon scopes. That can't be said about other brands.

I still don't get how you get these companies to just send you stuff to test. Do you just ask and they send it or what?
Old 03-15-2009, 04:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Grouse45

I have been a loyal Loppy fan in the past also but I switched to the Bushnell Elites of late with a ballistic retucule - In the weather I hunt in the rain guard lenses are worth a ton.... I did but a Loppy USlam and put it on my Disc Elite - and in m limited use of the scope I really do like the reticule, although I probably do not use it as it is designed.

Old 03-15-2009, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

Grouse45

I have been a loyal Loppy fan in the past also but I switched to the Bushnell Elites of late with a ballistic retucule - In the weather I hunt in the rain guard lenses are worth a ton.... I did but a Loppy USlam and put it on my Disc Elite - and in m limited use of the scope I really do like the reticule, although I probably do not use it as it is designed.

Is that rain guard stuff legit or just a gimmick? I've hunted with my Nikon Omega in pouring rain and didn't have any issue seeing game perfectly clear through it.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Grouse45if you need help with someone to use it and test it,i can help you out.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:02 PM
Fork Horn

I had a Nikon Monarch 3x9 on my old rifle and it was a very nice scope. However, when I sold that rifle, I put a Leupold VXL on. I love that scope. However...I have had Nikon digital cameras and scopes and have never had a bad product...my opinion, I would buy either product w/o hesitation!!!
Old 03-15-2009, 05:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

SWThomas

Can not say a thing about the Nikki Omega, but as compared the to the Loppies there is a ton of difference, in fact Leupold now offers a screw on lens treated with a rain guard to fit thier scopes.

I very rarely ever use scope covers any more rain or snow... so I think it is real...
Old 03-15-2009, 05:22 PM
Dominant Buck

I have one Leupold and its so old that I have always wondered why it still works. Its on a center fire .270 and is still to this day deadly accurate. My brother has the rifle now, and uses if every year, never checks the scope, just hauls it out of the closet and shoots his deer.

I also use Nikon and Bushnell. I really like the Nikon. The Omega impresses the devil out of me. The Bushnell has firefly and other then the hairs being kind of thick, the glass is excellent and the scope works perfect..
Old 03-15-2009, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SWThomas
I still don't get how you get these companies to just send you stuff to test. Do you just ask and they send it or what?
I dont ask any, Modern Muzzleloader has alot of companies visiting that sight and looking for good honest reports. I'm no writer that's for sure.Lehigh bullets is probably the closest i came to asking for something.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I did buy a new Leupold Ultimate Slam for my Accura nad Love it, that's if you use it as it's suppos-to be used, very clear and well built. I own No other Leupold Scopes. Untill the Leupold I have always Owned Bushnell and Nikon. Between the Two I choose the Bushnell's, there very well built and for the money you cant go wrong, there just as good and clear as the best higher priced scopes. My Nikon pro staff is a good scope but one of my favorites is the cheaper Bushnell, a 3-9-40 Dusk-to-Dawn Scope, got it from Cabelas for $89.00, and it rates up there with the Best and far cheaper. As for Rain, you have to deal with it. I use the (Butler-Creek) Pop-Up Scope Covers, but then they dont always help 100%. To Be safe I Always keep a couple of sheets of Bounty Paper Towels tucked in my Chest under my Hunting Coat and when I see the quary there there to wipe the lens clean when needed. You just have to adapt to the Weather Condition and be Thankfull you can use a Scope where you Hunt. If you cant clear the Scope of Fog in time to make the shot then the shot probably was'nt your best shot anyway. Best of Luck! BP

Quick Reply: Leupold and Nikon off track?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.