Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Opinions on Camo guns >

Opinions on Camo guns

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Opinions on Camo guns

Old 03-08-2009, 06:14 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Opinions on Camo guns

I was looking at that rifle that Grouse mentioned and saw it was a fully camouflaged rifle. I have nothing against them. I have one rifle with a camouflaged stock, my Knight Disc. Its a sharp looking outfit. Personally though, I admit I like the looks of a wood stock, even a black composite stock, with just a blued or stainless steel barrel in it. Not that a camo weapon does not have an appeal. I do like them, just never owned one. And I better stop going back to that Sportsman Guide page or that could all change.

Here is the kicker.. a lot of companies think that a fully camouflaged weapon is an asset in hunting. Now I hunted for years for about anything I could get a license for. Never once, did I have a camouflaged weapon. Even turkey hunting, for yearsI used a old wooden stock, Stevens double barrel 12 gauge and I shot turkeys as close as 14 yards with it.

In your opinion, is a fully camouflaged weapon that big of an advantage. And if you like them for their camo appearance, I have no problem with it. I kind of like the looks of them too. BUT is it really an advantage or a marketing gimmick? What do you think?
Old 03-08-2009, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Opinions on Camo guns

Just a gimmick to attract the hunter. As in fishing, many lures catch more fisherman then fish. But as in many different things, they do look good.

My only problem is the I will put it down and then can't find it because of the camo.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think the camo stocks look ok. Personally I don't care for the camo barrels. I have seen how the camo wears off on ones my friends have. I would prefer blued or stainless because I know how to clean and maintain them so they last a lifetime. I'm not sure what to think of those weathersheild finishes. I think I would rather have blued or stainless than that too.
For hunting I think scent is a lot more likely to spook a deer than a barrel. For a turkey it might make a difference.
Art
Old 03-08-2009, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with rafsob. It's just a gimmick. Although some will argue that every little advantage helps. Maybe that's the case, but I know quite a few people who never wear camo anything and shoot deer, hogs, and turkey. It's all about getting set-up in the right spot and being discipline with scent and movement.

It does look cool though.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

No Gimmick at all guys. It's not about color, it's about maintenance. Camo guns wont rust on the outside. Or i should say less likely to. Camo guns are awesome. Do they look as good as a nice maple stock or whatever. Hell no, it's not about looks when i'm in the woods. I try to buy everything synthetic and camo or even weathershield from T/C.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:34 AM
Fork Horn

If camo retards rust then count me in. My guns are for hunting...all of them. One day I will enter the "this gun is for show" category, but it will be a while. With that said, every gun I own is synthetic and stainless (except shotguns that are synthetic and blue).

Hammer
Old 03-08-2009, 07:37 AM
Dominant Buck

Grouse... I never heard that before. Why don't camouflage barrels rust on the outside? What method to they use to camouflage that barrel? I was under the impression that a strong solvent can even take the paint off. Like I said, I never owned one.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

About the only thing that Ifeel is a greatimprovement to our sport is scentfree clothes, detergents and body washes. It really works and is definitely anadvantange in the field. Our scent is everything when it comes to hunting. Oncewe get scented, it's all over.

Now as toclothes, remember the red Woolridge outfits we used back inthe olddays? I don't thinkanyone could call that camo of anykind.

Hell I left my camo hunting clothes at home once and had to hunt in my jeans. Got a nice large buck that trip:

This was the largest buck thatI had shot in Virigina at that time. Well I guess I did have a camo hat. Maybe that helped,don't know.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

No advantage on camo how can they say it is.Your in the WOODS with a WOOD stock that's an advantage, if you
ask me .I like the looks of some of them (stocks) not the barrels though.If that barrel was not preped to 100%
before they dipped it,that's when the camo comes off.I'm afraidwith the camo barrel it would rust in between
the barrel and the camo.But all of this is just MO.I don't own one either.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Alot of people are sending there guns out to get them dipped in camo to protect them from rust andthe elementsfor hunting. I'm looking at a winchester 1300 12gauge i used all season for hunting and there's no rust at all on this gun. Camo is the way to go in my opinion. Plus it hides ALL MARKS AS WELL.

http://www.houtsenterprises.net/dur_easy.html

Quick Reply: Opinions on Camo guns

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.