Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Time for a fun question >

Time for a fun question

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Time for a fun question

Old 02-15-2009, 01:08 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Time for a fun question

Here is the scenario...

The telephone rings. Its your best hunting buddy. He tells you his hunting trip that him and his brother have planned for over a year has a new flaw. His brother just fell on the ice. He broke his leg. They have the plane tickets purchased. They have the camp and guide booked. And he wants to know if you would go on a three day all expense paid hog hunt. One catch, we leave in three hours.

Lets for the sake of fun, you don't have to go to work for four days for any reason you like to make up. Lets throw in your better half is away visiting friends and took the kids, dog, and snake (if you're into that).. Also all the sporting good stores are closed so there is no time to stock up on shooting supplies...

This is a traditional rifle hunt... what rifle do you grab, powder, and projectile. Everything else is packed. And what range are you going to limit yourself out to?

This is an inline rifle hunt. What rifle do you grab, powder, and projectile. Every thing else is packed. And what range are you going to limit yourself out to?
Old 02-15-2009, 01:20 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Time for a fun question

INLINE
will grab the encore with 3x 9 swift B H 209 powder 400 gr cast 458 sized to 452 shot in a mmp sabot. the maximum range would be 100 yds

Traditional
Lyman Deerstalker 54 cal Percussion 3 F Goex Pinnacle 444 gr power belts. The range woud be limited to 75 yds due to receiver sight. If I had enough time I would take the Flint deer stalker with Goes 3 f black and the ssame bullet got a back up gun.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Inline

White .504 Ultra Mag with a 2-7x32mm Pro Staff Nikon scope. 70 gr Triple Seven 3f, 500 grain .5045 conical. Range 125 yards

Traditional

.58 caliber Renegade with Green Mountian Barrel. 110 grain Graf's & Sons 2f powder. Patched pillow tick with .570 Speer roundball. Limit to 100 yards.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Traditional - No contest - My 50 calpercussion riflewith a GM LRH barrel and T/C hardware on a custom curly maple stock.

In line - again no contest. I only have one inline. The Genesis.

Another thing - have to leave in 3 hours?? What am I going to do with the other 2 hours of free time....?
Old 02-15-2009, 01:42 PM
Dominant Buck

that's a good one Bronko. I like your attitude. Always ready to hunt it seems..
Old 02-15-2009, 01:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Only one inline here as well, a Knight Disc, 250 T/C Shockwaves and 90grs Goex FFF...Good to 150 yards but with hogs would probably keep it to 125...

Flintlock, well, I own a .40, ain't gonna go hog hunting with that...I'd take my .54, use 80grs FFF Goex and my home cast .530 balls and lubed pillow ticking...I'd keep shots to 75-80 yards...

Frankly, I'd prefer the flinter and leave the Knight at home...
Old 02-15-2009, 02:12 PM
Typical Buck

grab my Encore and --2 BARNES TMZ 250GR.maybe 3-- also 6 pellets T7 ...only one problem if the temperature is above 35 i wont go, hate to hunt in hot weather...
Old 02-15-2009, 02:38 PM
Banned

i'd take my elk rifle, 54cal cva mountain rifle with 80gr RS and .530 round ball.
Old 02-15-2009, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

Here is the scenario...

The telephone rings. Its your best hunting buddy. He tells you his hunting trip that him and his brother have planned for over a year has a new flaw. His brother just fell on the ice. He broke his leg. They have the plane tickets purchased. They have the camp and guide booked. And he wants to know if you would go on a three day all expense paid hog hunt. One catch, we leave in three hours.

Lets for the sake of fun, you don't have to go to work for four days for any reason you like to make up. Lets throw in your better half is away visiting friends and took the kids, dog, and snake (if you're into that).. Also all the sporting good stores are closed so there is no time to stock up on shooting supplies...

This is a traditional rifle hunt... what rifle do you grab, powder, and projectile. Everything else is packed. And what range are you going to limit yourself out to?

This is an inline rifle hunt. What rifle do you grab, powder, and projectile. Every thing else is packed. And what range are you going to limit yourself out to?
3 hours. Right now I would take my Omega, with 300g Barnes MZ and 100g of BH. 150 yards max with this rifle.

also would take my TC FL with GM carbine barrel, shooting 80g of goex with 300g Speer Gold Dot.
50-75 yards, I am 2" high at 50, so it is good out to 100, but 70-75 is my resonable max.
Chap
Old 02-15-2009, 03:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Uh Oh! Some of you guys have a BIG problem. You're not going to make the hunt because you're being detained in the airport awaiting the FBI because you tried to smuggle gunpowder on a commercial aircraft. [:@][:@] Don't worry, you'll probably be released in a day or two.

In-Line Hunt -Dang! No options here. The Mustang receiver is down with a broken firing pin and I have only one other in-line, the X7. Well, I know the Simmons 4x ProDiamond issighted in for300 grain Gold Dots in Harvester short sabots and will hit two inches above point of aim at 100 yards with105 grains of T7, or 110 grains of Pyrodex, or 120 grains of GOEX. I should be able to get one of those powders at the other end of the flight. I'm ready for hogs, deer, bear, elk or moose out to 150 yards easily - 175 if necessary. Hey wait! Am I going to be limited to conicals? Iron sights only? Better take the sights, tools and some Great Plains bulletsfor that just in case. But I'll have to sight in again if I have to take the scope off and put the peep sight back on. Man, nothing in life is simple any more.

Traditional Hunt -I'd like to take the Great Plains flintlock, but I'd better take theRenegade with the iron sighted.54 Green Mountain barrel and a supply of balls, just in case I can only get Pyrodex or T7 on site. Looks like I'm going to be limited to 75 yards.

GREAT FUN TOPIC Cayugad.

Quick Reply: Time for a fun question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.