Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 More on Montana X-treme >

More on Montana X-treme

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

More on Montana X-treme

Old 02-15-2009, 05:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default More on Montana X-treme

Guys, I've been reading the posts on this in here and had mine delivered yesterday. I'm waiting now on some nylon brushes in various calibers but in the interim, I cleaned a couple centerfires.
My method was to run some Hoppe's Elite solvent through the bore and let it set for a couple mins. (This is a copper and powder solvent.) Then I gave the bore a scrubbing with a bronze brush and another Hoppe's patch. Then dry patches until clean. I then ran a patch down the bore using MX Cowboy. On each occasion, I could not believe the crud that came off that first patch. I continued with the Cowboy solvent until the patches came out cleaned, then dried the bore with dry patches. I then treated the bore with MX bore conditioner.
I am definately going to use this stuff on my MLs. Like most of you I am fanatical about having clean guns. It just amazed me how dirty my 'clean' rifle bores were.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:30 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: More on Montana X-treme

Your not telling me news.. I understand and probably had that same look as you, when that first patch of Cowboy Solvent went through the barrel. Now when I clean my rifles, I run one patch of the Cowboy Solvent and it picks up just traces of stuff. The second one is clean. I kind of like this stuff. I am still not convinced about its rust protection with just the Bore Conditioner. I think a gun oil might be needed also on top of it. BUT time will tell.

I have been so impressed with it, I cleaned up my .22 caliber Remington Fieldmaster pump rifle with a 4x Bushness scope on it. The pine squirrels are real impressed with the rifle too. But only for a moment...
Old 02-16-2009, 05:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well after being impressed with the way the MX Cowboy solvent did with my centerfires, I used it on my 45 Renegade. Most of you remember that this is a relatively new barrel and has less than 100 shots through it, mostly all with saboted bullets. It had always gotten a hot water bath/rinse followed by bore butter as did all my other MLs.
I just got done running a pot full of hot water through it to heat up the barrel and get rid of the bore butter. Took it back in and ran a couple dry patches through it. Then some patches of Butche's Bore Shine, dried, then a couple alcohol patches and dried again.
I put some Cowboy solvent on a patch and figured it was going to be black. To my surprise it was as clean as it was when it went in. So I ran a couple dry patches through it and treated it with the bore conditioner.
I'm putting another pot of water on the stove and do the same to my 50 cal. I know that has several hundred rounds through it. I'll relay the results later today.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:46 AM
Dominant Buck

WOW!! I wish I had a bore butter barrel to check your results. So far I have been turning my rifles over to Montana products. I have been real happy with the results. But I still am not sure I want to turn all of them over.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

Dave - I just did the same routine with the 50 cal (this is an older GM LRH barrel - still has the old iron sights not the fiber optic) I think I got this barrel back around '98. I got absoultely the same results.
I guess the hot soapy water wash/clear hot water rinse and bore butter method isn't so bad.
This rifle has been sitting since November and even after running the first drying patch after the hot water rinse, it came out clean.
So as far as my MLs, the only benefit I can see using MX products is the amount of fouling between shots. And I won't know that until I get them out to the range.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

All I ever used on My ML's for almost 20+ years was Bore Butter. As you stated and I too gave them a Hot Water Bath then they were treated with BB. Since reading this ForumI changed to MX BC and MX Gun Oil. I have only treated my New Never Shot ACCURA's with the MX Products.
My first clean with the MX BC was done on my ACCURA, and the MX did have dirty (gray) looking patches after I cleaned the bore, a few more patches and they were spotless, mabey it was the oil applied at the factory that came out of them.
After reading this I got 2 of my older ML's that I have'nt shot in over a year (and both had the hot water bath, cleaned, then treated with BB and stored) I hot watered em, to remove the BB, then ran a patch of MX BC down the bore and they were clean. I DONT have the MX CS so I cant say for sure if just the MX BC did a good enough job to remove anything as I dont think it's a cleaner, just a conditioner? So I guess I'll get some MX CS and see if it pulls anything out of them.
I know some of you dont like the BB, but I have never had a problem with rust or flyers. But I usually only shoot most of my ML's a couple to a few times and then there cleaned and treated with BB. I dont go on marathon shooting seassions with them so mabey that's a reason for them being so clean too. And all I have ever shot out of all my ML's are sabots so mabey this is another reason for the barrels being clean.
I'll get some MX CS and reclean them 2 ML's and see if anything comes out and let you all know.But after using the MX BC and MX Gun Oil in my ACCURA's they come cleanalso so we'll see. As stated above by bronko, mabey the advantage of MX is just helping the occasional flyer and crud build up and fouling problem.BP

Old 02-16-2009, 08:16 AM
Dominant Buck

If you are having that good of luck with bore butter, perhaps you should keep using it. As I said, I don't like it, but that is my opinion. And I have not used bore butter for over fifteen years in a rifle.

I cleaned a different traditional rifle with the Montana X-treme yesterday. Now this rifle was treated well, and not really shot too much over the years. It was one I bought on sale and shot occasionally. But this one gave up just a gray first patch and then a clean patch. I patched that bore dry and bore treated it. It is shining really good now. It was protected with Sheath.

This is really getting interesting now. And more confusing to me..

Old 02-16-2009, 08:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

To all in general

While their has been a lot of peole condemn the use of BB and natural lubes I am not one of them, most people here know that I was a firm believer in the fouling reducing properties of BB and that I applied it to hot barrels for years and years, then when the T17 patches came out I switched to the use of those patches as they provided a more equal application of the lube. Somewhere along the line before the switch to T17 I also started using Slip 2000, a synthetic oil, with all the listed properties of MX-BC. This was used with and in combination with BB and T17. In all those years I really never had any rusting, accuracy, or build up problems with the use of these materials... I did on a rare occasion pull out a tobbacco stained patch when I went back to check old treated bores... at first it concerned me but when I looked carefully at it I really believed it was not rust it was residue being leached out of the pores in the barrel by BB or T17. I almost took it up to the chem lab at the University to have some college class check it for oxidation - never followed thru on that though. I still believe it was powder residue missed in my normal cleaning ritual.

But with my discovery of MX-BC - it has totally replaced my use of either BB or T17 for now, what might come in the future I am not sure. I am slow to move to something new but if it works I will move.

Side Note it also worked very well in my trap guns reducing the plastic fouling in the barrel and chokes - all of the above products
Old 02-16-2009, 09:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Some good info in this post. Here is a bit more. I took my MX Cowboy solvent and BC over to my buddy and asked him to run a test with his centerfires. (We both clean our MLs the same way.) I did this because he used Break Free CLP to clean his rilfes and 3 in one oil to protect the bore. He cleaned as usual and then ran a patch of CS down the bore. It came out clean. No residue on it at all. He repeated this with 2 other rifles and got the same result. Clean patches.
I guess the Break Free CLP is a good product also for removing fouling.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

My conclusion using MX is this. I will continue to use BB in my flinters where I use black powder only. In my inline & percussion rifles where I use Pyrodex and saboted bullets, I will use the MX (until I see a problem developing). And in my centerfires, I will also use the MX.

Quick Reply: More on Montana X-treme

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.