Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Mustang/Blackhorn Issue Not Looking Good >

Mustang/Blackhorn Issue Not Looking Good

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Mustang/Blackhorn Issue Not Looking Good

Old 02-14-2009, 12:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Mustang/Blackhorn Issue Not Looking Good

Yeah, I know you're right Chap.

I don't plan to shoot Blackhornout of the Omega anyway- didn't get any better accuracy with it than I get with T7 in that gun, and I'd rather swab between shots than clean that Blackhorn varnish off of the breech plug.

It's just that I WANT to see what it does in the Mustang, and modifying the breechplug should do no harm as far as shooting other powders with it. I have half of my first canister of BH left to play around with. I'm really wondering if it might give me better accuracy with the Mustang than I can get with T7. In theone sessionI shotwith .25 ACPsI got groups that "almost" equaled my T7 groups, even with delayed ignition on every shot. I'm wondering if instant ignition will give me fantastic groups. If not, there will be no more BH purchases for me.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have been wondering about the guns that use 209 primers and won't shoot BH, maybe they would shoot more accurate and consistent if the ignition were tuned up.
As for the male cow fertilizer about the primer pushing the round up the barrel before the powder ignites, I think that is disproved by the fact that some of us are shooting the hottest primes we can getand shooting good groups. I have posted a group that was around a 1/4 inch that was shot with CCI mag 209's if the round was moving from the primer then we certainly would not get good groups let alone under 1/2 inch. Lee
Old 02-14-2009, 01:41 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Semisane

Yeah, I know you're right Chap.

I don't plan to shoot Blackhornout of the Omega anyway- didn't get any better accuracy with it than I get with T7 in that gun, and I'd rather swab between shots than clean that Blackhorn varnish off of the breech plug.

It's just that I WANT to see what it does in the Mustang, and modifying the breechplug should do no harm as far as shooting other powders with it. I have half of my first canister of BH left to play around with. I'm really wondering if it might give me better accuracy with the Mustang than I can get with T7. In theone sessionI shotwith .25 ACPsI got groups that "almost" equaled my T7 groups, even with delayed ignition on every shot. I'm wondering if instant ignition will give me fantastic groups. If not, there will be no more BH purchases for me.
I don't know the varnish you refer to. I clean the encore breech plug with Hopps 9 it comes right off. Now the Encore'sbreech plug is longer then the Omega's so maybe that makes the difference?
Old 02-14-2009, 01:49 PM
Banned

lyman doesnt have an HQ based in the US to take care of customer service/warranty replacement? A 1 year warranty has got to be the worse ive heard of, besides the one that doesnt have one lol
Old 02-14-2009, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

The breech plug on the omega is like a water line in your house, 3/4"pipe running almost all the way
to the fixture then taken down to 1/2" pipe to create better pressure.As the mustang does not create pressure.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:19 PM
mountaineer magic

ORIGINAL: MountainDevil54

lyman doesnt have an HQ based in the US to take care of customer service/warranty replacement? A 1 year warranty has got to be the worse ive heard of, besides the one that doesnt have one lol
Are you sure? I believe Lyman is an American company based in Middletown Conn.that has Ivestarms in Italy build their guns. Warranty ,parts etc are taken care of here in the good ol USA. I have 4 lymans and would be willing to bet that they will outlast most factory made guns being produced today regardless of country of origin or length of warranty. The Great Plains Rifle is an exceptionally nice gun both in style and accuracy. Their inline ( the Mustang) is the only one I don't know much about. I never really liked the looks of it so I never got one.
Lyman over all in my opinion is one of the best black powder guns. Got my first one in 1981.
click here for a little history of Lyman http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/about/

Old 02-14-2009, 03:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

From the Lyman web site.
Warranty/Repair Policy

Your Lyman Product has been produced under rigid standards of manufacture and inspection. However, if your Lyman product is found to be defective in material or workmanship within one year of delivery to the first retail purchaser, we will repair or replace it without charge.

If you require service under this warranty, please return the complete item along with a letter of explanation, including your complete name and address, freight prepaid to the factory at the address listed below. Your Lyman product will be repaired or replaced and returned to you within 30 days of our receipt. In making any return of a Lyman product to the factory, please be sure it is packaged with proper care to protect it from damage in transit.

We are sorry, but our warranty cannot apply to a defect which results from misuse, abuse, neglect, accident or improper care, or if your Lyman product has been altered or repaired by anyone other than factory personnel.

If the item is out of warranty and is in need of repairs, the Lyman product should also be returned to the same address listed below. Appropriate charges will apply for parts and labor. Estimates are available only when the item has been thoroughly inspected by our repair personnel.

Lyman Products Corporation
475 Smith Street
Middletown, CT 06457
Attn: Service Department

Lyman Muzzleloaders

For factory warranty service or repairs, please direct your Lyman muzzleloader as follows: Great Plains Rifle, Trade Rifle, Deerstalker Rifle, Plains Pistol, Mustang Breakaway™ 209 Magnum Rifle

Dixon Muzzleloading
9952 Kunkels Mill Road
Kempton, PA 19529
(610) 756-6271
Old 02-14-2009, 03:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Semi

I would bet the world you already know this but since FG/MD's posted the information thought I would supply someaccurate information

FG's statement:

lyman doesnt have an HQ based in the US to take care of customer service/warranty replacement? A 1 year warranty has got to be the worse ive heard of, besides the one that doesnt have one
Here is Lyman home:

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/home/

Lyman Products Corporation
475 Smith Street
Middletown, CT 06457
Attn: Service Department

Here is the Lyman contact information:

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/contact/

Well looks like I was late getting to the well... water is all gone you already have the information...
Old 02-14-2009, 04:03 PM
Typical Buck

Semi
My Encore breech plugs that have 25 acp which are the same as the omega work fine with BH 209. I cannot see a difference between them and the 209 primer. I use the 209 just because I don't have to clean brass and reprime.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:34 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: gleason.chapman

Why go to all that work? Just shoot BH in your Omega and 777 in you Mustang, why go to all that work on a maybe for the Mustang? Seems sorta semiSane to me to not like BH for so long, then to wanna use it in every rifle.It is way too expensive to shoot for practice/plinking. I like it in my Omega, and I got a deer last night (90 lb doe) with 100g of BH in a Knight Disc with open sights, but if it didn't shoot in either rifle I would just stay with what I know works. Cayugad has alot of rifles and he knows what powder, what load, what bullet works in each.I think that is the proper model for each personality of rifle, the Mustang just won't shoot it.
Chap
Chap
I believe that Semi or sane has caught the BH virus and is just in denial. He just thinks he has made his last BH purchase.

Semi,
Instead of making both modifications to the breechplug at once. You might try to dish out the face and see if it works better then drill out the flash channel. It may only take one or the other modification to work. I thought I remembered a post where the claim was that the dished out face was needed to proper ignition. Of course this might be in the same category as 209 primers unseating the bullet.

Quick Reply: Mustang/Blackhorn Issue Not Looking Good

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.