Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Do you use loc-tite >

Do you use loc-tite

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Do you use loc-tite

Old 02-13-2009, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do you use loc-tite

ORIGINAL: Old/New

ORIGINAL: cayugad

My gunsmith friend was mounting a scope I bought once and I noticed he was not using lock tite. I mentioned that to him and he said if you de-grease the bolt holes, and bolts, there is no need for it. He said that more then often when you change your mind and want to remove the scope, that's when you really wish you were not using it. As he explained,he said if the scope is mounted properly, there is no need for it.

So the ones I mount, I have not used it. I have it, just not used it.

I believe that is true...it's really not needed. I think I (and a lot of others) just overdo it!
As with all things concerning scopes, most shooters use the old Jack Armstrong technique to install mounts and rings.

I as use the blue loc-tite on bases only.

And as far as the rings, it only takes about 12 to 14" lbs. of torque to secure the rings. Any more and you will damage the inner adjustment tubes and mechanisms.

You know you have tightened the rings too much, when you are at the range and make an adjustment and nothing happens!!!! That is because the inner tubes are bound tight and will not move. Lossen up the rings and walla!!! The adjustment takes.

Another way to know you have tightened up the rings too much is when you take a scope from there rings and there are ring marks on the outter scope tube. Properly installed and torqued rings will not leave these marks. Hint, hint!
Old 02-13-2009, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Be Careful on Scope Basesand mount screws.Loc-Tight does not evenly disperse in the screw holes(even filling them in)causing uneven pressure on the screws, mounts and bases. If used, Just use as little as possible on the threads of the screw only, and never put any into the hole. This is a case is where a Lot is bad and a little is good. And never overtighten screws. BP
Old 02-14-2009, 02:57 AM
Fork Horn

Actually the big advantage of Loc-Tite is you can get the screws out. For scope size screws the purple color is fine, The blue will work, however its for larger screws. A little heat will definetly loosen Loc-Tite.
RC
Old 02-14-2009, 03:45 AM
Fork Horn

I didn't use itthis time when I mounted a scope on my new Encore. I used QD rings, so its not a problem to check the mounting screws. I thought it would be a good test.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:51 AM
Typical Buck

I always use the blue/purple Loc-Tite on the bases and ring bases. Never anything on the top of the rings. When I'm really being picky, I use Loc-Tite and Fletch Tite(That Clear glue used for fletching arrows). I coat the rest of the underside of the bases as a sealer against water/oil and dirt. Seems to be working fine so far
Old 02-14-2009, 04:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've always used clear nail polish until recently.Now I use lock-tite blue.
Old 02-14-2009, 04:48 AM
Typical Buck

lock-tite on my base only ...never on my rings
Old 02-14-2009, 05:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Have never used any thing on the rail screws other than plain hand toqure on clean holes and screws. I have never had a rail come loose. If any thing comes loose it is usally the screw that holds the mounts to the rails for me.
I do use clear fingernail polish to hold trigger adjusting screws in place as well as the bows on my glasses.

150gr. pushing a 300gr bullet!!! I got a big huge bruise just reading it.

Al

Old 02-14-2009, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

hunting junkie

I still use loc-tite, just an old habit - hard to break I guess. For scopes and things that I might want to take apart again - I use 'blue' for things I want to stay locked i will use 'red'
You have to be careful about blue vs red. Some manufacturers make blue locktite that is the hard stuff that requires heat to remove. You want to specify medium strength.

Tom
Old 02-14-2009, 06:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

I always use Loc-tite on my bases and rings. I've just read recently that it isn't required on the rings. But I figure, I've never had a screw come loose (on my scope mount) using the loc-tite, so I will continue to use it.

Quick Reply: Do you use loc-tite

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.