Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 50 cal Omega sabot/bullet recommendations >

50 cal Omega sabot/bullet recommendations

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

50 cal Omega sabot/bullet recommendations

Old 02-06-2009, 08:50 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 50 cal Omega sabot/bullet recommendations

My Omega likes the 245g Barnes Spitfire and 250g Gold Dot w/crush rib sabot
Old 02-06-2009, 10:31 AM
Spike

One Omega likes 110gr of 2F T-7 with a crush rib sabot pushing a 250gr hornady SST
the Other Omega likes120grof 2F T-7 with a harvester short black pushing a 250gr bonded shockwave
Both use the T-7 209 primer. The 120gr load gets a little stout after a range session!

The "long range" Omega (stainless)has a Leupy VX-II 3-9X40 in silver: The other has a bushnell trophy MP red dot on it. Both are FUN!!!!
Old 02-06-2009, 01:04 PM
Fork Horn

The Speer UCSP 45 Colt HV 300gr.(part number 4485) is showing some promise in the Short Black Harvester sabot with 90 grs. of BH209. At least it has in my Encore.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: crb4809

I have a 50 cal Omega and have been working on a full bore conical load for the past couple years since that is what I will be required to use in Colorado................. if I ever get drawn.
I haven't paid a lot of attention to sabot/bullet combinations since I needed to get the other load workedup first. I know that I have seen recommendations in the past for the Harvester short black or MMP-HPH24 sabot. What sabot/bullet combination would you recommend for huntingwhitetail deer/hogs in an Omega?
PS. I intend to stick with peep sights so extreme range performance will not be an issue. I hope to keep all of my shots within 100 yards.
If price is not a not an issue you can't beat a 300g Nosler Partition HG, I like the 300g since you get shoot thru. I shot 100g of loose 777 with a Harvester Black Crushed rib. Great bullet, great expansion, good shoot thru great accuracy in an Omega. Another great bullet in my Omega is a 300g Barnes MZ, with 100g of BlackHorn 209, using he supplied sabot. Next year I plan on using the Barnes 45/70 bullet called the Flat Nose, Barnes part number 45843, with a Harvester Crushed rib sabot. They shot great in my Savage and Omega. Excellent bullet.

If price is an issue for you then you cannot beat a Speer Gold Dot 300g, they expand well (they are a pistol bullet, so down to like 800 fps they expand), they hold their weight, they penetrate well and shoot thru (300g do anyway, 250g don't always). I shot them in a CR sabot, they were not very accurate in my Savage and Omega, but I did not do extensive testing of the bullet in those rifles. They shot excellent at 70 and 80g of Goex in my Flintlock. I think you could work up a great load for them.

Bottom line, accuracy is king, penetration is queen, expansion is prince and shoot thru is princess in the court of good bullets. There are many great bullets out there, anything will work on bow shots, but what happens when you hit bone is the telling factor. Do you have enought bullet to not fragement on a bone shot? Best wishes on your selection.
Chap

Chap
Old 02-06-2009, 06:17 PM
Spike

Thanks to everyone for the recommendations. I quickly realized that everyone is in agreement. However since a lot of people have gotten paranoid (hopefully not justified) and are buying out the reloading supplies, I have a good selection of recommendations. I hope to find a combination that is reasonable enough in price to do some serious practicing this summer.

Chap: My brother is always telling me I should buy the best gun/knife/bullets/etc I can afford. I know he is probably right but everytime I start trying to pry money out of my wallet I have to break a few fingers to turn loose of it. That might be my problem when hunting if I don't stay real still it sounds like a rusty hinge walking through the woods.

Mountaindevil: What has worked for me is 100 grains of 777 with a 350 gr Hornady FPBand the vari-flame adapter using a small rifle primer.