Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Renegade GM-LRH with MX-BC @ the Farm >

Renegade GM-LRH with MX-BC @ the Farm

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Renegade GM-LRH with MX-BC @ the Farm

Old 02-06-2009, 02:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Renegade GM-LRH with MX-BC @ the Farm

Headed out to do some shooting today, was gong to shoot the Omega but with all the recent talk by Dave and Chuck shooting sidesparkers - I decided to take the Renegade 50 cal. I tried to shoot at the rock pit but the snow was to rotten and deep and I could not get the Ford up on top of it, so I returned to Moscow and headed to the muddy farm.

This is a new barrel and this trip is it's 3rd trip out of the house. The bore was stripped on December 12 and MX-BC was applied, so I was really curious to shoot the barrel.

At the farm, I ran one dry patch to pick up anything I could from the barrel. I then popped 2 caps and dry patched one more time.
I really did choose the wrong target to shoot at. At 60 yards with TC non-fiber open sights I really was guessing for the most part when the front sight was in the crotch of the "X". Next time, I will go back to the Orange target circle for better vision.

Group #1 was the first batch of shots, then I adjusted the rear sight down 2 of the TC clicks. Shot the second group. In group #1 - notice that shot #1 was in the group. THEN - i do not want talk about #4 - #6 - or #9

While the target is not the greatest thing in the world - the experiment with MX-BC is taking another step forward. I took 10 shots on the target and another 7 shots at clay pigeons placed in the field.

MX-BC Test: I never ran any form of spit patch or damp patch. I did dry patch between shots - used two patches for the entire shoot. The orginal patch was worn out at the end of the target shoot so I did switch to a clean new patch for the 7 pigeon shots.

At the end of the shoot I ran 2 windex patches - second one came out fairly close to clean - ran a dry patch - headed home...

When I got home I ran one Hoppes #9 patch and it is now in the cradle ready to begin the actual cleanig process. I am going to clean this as I would a centerfire barrel - no water treatments. I am going to flush the BP with Hoppes, treat the barrel with Butches Bore Shine - then Hoppes and end with MX-BC

Old 02-06-2009, 02:36 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Renegade GM-LRH with MX-BC @ the Farm

Gonna try a brush?
Old 02-06-2009, 02:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Old/New

I do not think so - The bore is in really good shape so I should not need one.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:47 PM
Dominant Buck

That's good shooting. Also the consistency of the velocity is impressive to say the least. I personally do not like the T/C open sights. They are too fat. But that's just my opinion.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well, my thought of cleaning as a center-fire did not work as well as I hoped... The bore came clean very easily but i could not get the breech plug and fire channel really clean as I like it. So back to square one into the Zep Citrus Cleaner and hot water pumping. I will make a decision on the boiling water after the hot water treatment.

I did pump Hoppes through the BP but it really did not strip it - kinda left a black sludge...
Old 02-06-2009, 03:56 PM

Looks prettyn good... even the "fliers" arent that bad! The T/C stock front sight is pretty big, especially for target work.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I see the 2nd shot was right there with the first.Good shooting