Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Barrel rusting test >

Barrel rusting test

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Barrel rusting test

Old 02-08-2009, 05:00 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Barrel rusting test

ORIGINAL: sproulman

if you continue test,i would like to see if wd-40 rusts.

If others would like to see sample #3 or #4 change over to WD -40.... I can do that right now. Let me know ASAP.

sproulman.. #4 is now WD-40 after all we know that the Rem Oil works real good.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

O.K. Mike, It's on it's way. BP
Old 02-08-2009, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

hoppes # 9 maybe?
Old 02-08-2009, 07:24 PM
Dominant Buck

Hoppies #9 is a solvent. I doubt it would have little protection value in that wet environment that the metal barrels are being subjected to. I do think the WD-40 should hold up good, but time will tell.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: cayugad

ORIGINAL: sproulman

if you continue test,i would like to see if wd-40 rusts.

If others would like to see sample #3 or #4 change over to WD -40.... I can do that right now. Let me know ASAP.

sproulman.. #4 is now WD-40 after all we know that the Rem Oil works real good.
thaNKS, I LIKE TO SEE IF WD-40 IS AS GOOD AS I READ
Old 02-08-2009, 08:36 PM
Spike

This info is not part of the test being done but was a test and did not know it until I started learning from this forum. Feb of 1998 I bought the Remingtom 700 ss ml, it was bought to use if I did not take my buck with my bow. The years the ml was used after it was sighted in were 2001,2002,2005 and 2008, there were also times during this period I would shoot just to be shooting. During this 10 year period I used the tc bore cleaner #13 and run a Remington wonder lube patch down the bore when finished. As you can see this ml has had a bunch of down time just sitting in the safe,also with this ml after every 3rd shot I would lube the bore with the Rermington wonder lube and I was shooting the Hornady 44-240 hp/xtp with the Pyrodex pellets and the bp was converted to the 209? The inside of this bore is blemish free, shines like a mirror after 10 years? Hard to figure?
Old 02-08-2009, 09:20 PM
Fork Horn

Cayugad,

If there is room after this test how about CLP? I read a post...actually a link to a dated test that proved CLP to be very, very good. The test was a salt water spray environment. Anyways, just a thought. Thanks!

Hammer
Old 02-08-2009, 09:24 PM
Dominant Buck

Hammer... funny you should mention CLP. I thought of taking the Birchwood Casey Sheath that kind of fail IMO and make that one with Breakfree CLP. What do the others think of that our would you rather watch Birchwood Casey rust again??
Old 02-08-2009, 09:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'd leave the BC Sheath in for now, just to see if the second test verifies the first.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

Hoppies #9 is a solvent. I doubt it would have little protection value in that wet environment that the metal barrels are being subjected to. I do think the WD-40 should hold up good, but time will tell.

I'm not arguing with you but it does say use it to clean barrel then patch clean, then saturate patch, push through the bore to prevent rust.Maybe i should not use it anymore for that,what do you think?

Quick Reply: Barrel rusting test

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.