Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Lead Poisoning???  Please Take a Look >

Lead Poisoning??? Please Take a Look

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Lead Poisoning??? Please Take a Look

Old 01-29-2009, 02:26 PM
Typical Buck

Default Lead Poisoning??? Please Take a Look

I found this Very interesting:

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/f...../index.htm

What cha think?
Old 01-29-2009, 02:38 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Lead Poisoning??? Please Take a Look

That is interesting... perhaps the big slow conicals and roundballs might be a better bullet for those worried about lead. Or go to an all copper bullet, then lead is not really an issue.

Those high speed ballistic tips really splattered the lead around...
Old 01-29-2009, 02:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Lane - Interesting. I did nod off a couple times though. I would have never thought that fragments would go so far inside the body cavity. I don't think I'm going to worry about it though. I've been eating game for 50 years and I aint glowing yet. And I think I'm still alive.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for the post.

Am very familiar with lead poisoning. In my45 year EOD careeri have burned about 2 billion rounds of mostly military small arms ammunition. Nearly all of it contained lead. We burned most of the stuff in huge open pits. Wecleaned out the pits with endloaders while wewere engulfed in a cloud of lead dust.We would dust off our clothes at the end of the day and before eating lunch.

After burning all the unserviceable Army small arms ammo from Desert Storm two of my liver values went tilt for lead. All the time i never felt sick. Took a lot of Vitamin C without calcium andmy liver was normal when tested inaboutthree months. Now i wear a paint mask whenoperating equipment in a cloud of lead dust.Am checked for lead every six months and have had no more problems.

This lead poisoning scare in deer meat was started by an"expert" who claimed to find lead in donated deer meat.He is a member of the anti crowd who brought you the lead ban in parts of CA. Turns out the "expert" is a dermatologist. Maybe there is a little lead in some donated deer meat. It surely is not enough to hurt a healthy adult.

This is what one group thought of it:

http://www.paoutdoornews.com/articles/2008/12/04/top_news/news01.txt
Old 01-29-2009, 02:53 PM
Fork Horn

Last year I was bummed as the State of MN took a lot of the donated venison and threw it away because of high lead levels. They urge everyone to switch to better bullets, stear away from lead. But, hey, lets think about this....my Grandpa who is still deer hunting is 84, he ate venison most his life and shot lead bullets, so whats the big deal? Years and years and years of people eating venison all across the US and wow...I don't see to many issues from lead poisoning. So being from the State of MN, I say, lets move on and quit wasting valuable taxpayer dollars researching this issue.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very interesting. Thanks for the link.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:11 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks Falcon for that link. Balances out this issue a little better
Old 01-29-2009, 03:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Did you guys notice toward the end they had a guy climbing down a home made stand, looked like cedar poles nailed between 2 trees...He had no climbing harness on...Talk about dangerous!!!

There are many more hunters that will fall out of tree stands and get killed or crippled than will be affected by lead damage from eating deer meat...
Old 01-29-2009, 03:13 PM
Typical Buck

I did read somewhere that one of the sponsers of the Calif bill on banning lead in Condor areas was Barnes-go figure
Old 01-29-2009, 03:39 PM
Dominant Buck

When ever you see someone blowing the warning whistle on things like this.. you need to examine who has what to gain and what to loose. You also then have to examine who is blowing the whistle. Then you have to use common sense. I've been eating game both wild and domestic that we shot with lead bullets, for years. It would be interesting to test some of the blood of old hunters that have eaten lead shot game and see what the lead levels really are in their blood stream. I would bet if they did, they would not find it all that high.

Although I do admit that after working on casting bullets, or shooting on the range, I do wash my hands very carefully to rid them of any foreign substances. But I wash my hands after working in the garden or going to the bathroom too...

Quick Reply: Lead Poisoning??? Please Take a Look

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.