Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 To much Muzzle loading I think. >

To much Muzzle loading I think.

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

To much Muzzle loading I think.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default To much Muzzle loading I think.

Haven't loaded to many centerfire shells in the last nearly 8 years cause 95% of my shooting has been done with a muzzle loader.

Youtes started howling outside my back door the other night so I made up my mind I was going to take the Swift and getem. Low and behold I didn't have any loaded shells for it just 500 emptys, 1000 for the 243 and about a thousand for the 7mm08 and 308 combined.
Ran them all thru the sizer dies,washed the lub off & tumbled them. Well the drive rubbers went bad on the tumbler so I had to do a repair with make do stuff as I could no longer find any signs of a company that make it still.
Then I got out my electronic powder scale. Wouldn't work, figured the barrery was shot, a test showed 9.37 volts. It is 9 years old on March 17th. I still have the recipt when I bought it. I called Cabelas and they said to send it in and they will take a look at it. They don't make that one any more so they hinted they may prorate it on a new one.
Any way I used the balance beam scale and got 200 loaded so the youtes better watch out NOW.

The 2 favorite muzzle loaders still set in the front of the safe.
Would use them as I don't care for the fur just need some extra distance to reach out and hammer them. I don't care for them at the back door howling when I am trying to sleep.

Al
Old 01-28-2009, 07:42 AM

Default RE: To much Muzzle loading I think.

Hope you had a measure cause I would HATE to weight 200 charges
Old 01-28-2009, 07:42 AM
Dominant Buck

The can be a distraction when trying to sleep. I was listening the other night to the wolves howling. They will be breeding soon I believe, so they are really vocal this time of year. I swear they were in my back yard but probably miles (lets hope) away.

Good luck with your coyote problem...
Old 01-28-2009, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a powder drop, I still measure each load though. Just drop it in the pan weigh it then pour in the case.
Used to measure all the bullets too at one time. Theyare plus or minus up to 5 gr. what the box label states. Got to be a pain having all these different boxes with the same powder charge but different bullet weights like 60gr. instead of the 55 gr.they were supposed to be.

Dave I would be doing the SSS if it were me listening to the wolves. Enough is enough and the games depts and feds have went to far on this.
Wasn't that long ago they still paid bounties on them and life was good. Seems only city people really give a crap about having a popluation of them other than at Yellowstone or Isle Royal.
Most country folks I know who live in their area are having some type of problem with them.
Bet one of those big old lead pills you like would do a number on them.

Al
Old 01-28-2009, 08:21 AM
Dominant Buck

They really monitor their wolf population in Wisconsin. This deer season eight of them were shot. And they have been out trying to find who done it. Rewards, and the works for turning in the person or persons responsible for the crime. None shot around my house I do wish to point out.

The wolf population is really growing fast here. And as their numbers increase, the deer herd decreases. Neighbors reported wolves coming into their yard after their geese that are free ranging. The DNR suggest they keep their geese penned up.I suggest they keep their wolves under control. Just their way of avoiding the blame.

All of this wolf nonsense will come to a head when some small child or someone, is killed or attacked. And I will bet you two dollars to a doughnut, the first excuse out of the DNR will be the wolf was old and or sick. They do the same with bear also when one of them act up. The reason for the attack was the bear was old and sick. Ya, so???
Old 01-28-2009, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

alleyyooper

You should take the ol' smokepoles after 'em. That's what I do. I used to use my .280 but I stopped using it when I stop shooting centerfires period.

I use 200g XTPs pushed w/either 110g 777 or 100g BH (depending on the gun) Makes a dandy load for yotes. I could care less about the fur just so they're gone and leave my turkeys alone.

Also, I have to agree w/you on the wolves...
Old 01-28-2009, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

They really monitor their wolf population in Wisconsin. This deer season eight of them were shot. And they have been out trying to find who done it. Rewards, and the works for turning in the person or persons responsible for the crime. None shot around my house I do wish to point out.

The wolf population is really growing fast here. And as their numbers increase, the deer herd decreases. Neighbors reported wolves coming into their yard after their geese that are free ranging. The DNR suggest they keep their geese penned up.I suggest they keep their wolves under control. Just their way of avoiding the blame.

All of this wolf nonsense will come to a head when some small child or someone, is killed or attacked. And I will bet you two dollars to a doughnut, the first excuse out of the DNR will be the wolf was old and or sick. They do the same with bear also when one of them act up. The reason for the attack was the bear was old and sick. Ya, so???
Hunters want them gone all together. Hippies want them frolicking like squirrels. I think the middle ground for wolves is no different than any other species. They have to be controled through sportsmen. I see a parallel to them and hogs.(in my mind at least)
Old 01-28-2009, 09:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

No wolves down here, but lots of coyotes and hogs. Both are hard on turkey poults and the general rule is to shoot every one you see. I really can't say that the coyotes impact the deer herd.

Our biggest problem for the last two years or so had been free running dogs on our 900 acre lease - both "owned" and feral. The dogs seem to have a greater impact on our hunting. They run all over during daylight hours in packs of 3, 4 or 5 and keep the deer so nervous that our daylight sightings have decreased dramatically.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Have used the muzzle loader to hunt them, with friends.
Friends are now always working for fear of not having a job soon, or they lost their job already and have moved to other places far far away. I want to be able to reach out there 3 400 yards and whack them and maybe even touch another one.
Don't like them this close to the house at all.
I have deer laying over in the pines about every day and I don't care for them being disturbed.

Dave, any body money hungery enough to turn any one in yet?
Old 01-28-2009, 10:21 AM
Dominant Buck

Not so far, but the people up here are the kind that shoot and never tell anyone. Not their mother, father, wife or best friend. If they shoot one, as they say its between them and the Almighty, and he's not telling the DNR.

Quick Reply: To much Muzzle loading I think.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.