Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 What's a good replacement Ram-Rod? >

What's a good replacement Ram-Rod?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What's a good replacement Ram-Rod?

Old 03-25-2011, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is the one I use in my Omega and my Knight LRH (both had the same length ramrod)

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Thomp...h-All+Products

The fold back "T" handle is great for pushing bullets down the barrel

Of course, it would have to be the same length as the one you have.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:04 PM
Fork Horn

Do the Delrin rods flex alot when loading a tight bullet/sabot? I'm leaning towards solid alum myself.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by grizzly 2
Do the Delrin rods flex alot when loading a tight bullet/sabot? I'm leaning towards solid alum myself.
They certainly can....
Old 03-26-2011, 03:17 AM
kb1
Fork Horn

i ues t/c rugged rods as range rods and as replacements for my knights.they are solid aluminum and hold up well.i have not wore one out yet.......karl
Old 03-26-2011, 06:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

I was surprised to read that about an Encore too. Omegas come with a nice solid aluminum rod. I'll never have to replace it.

CVA rods are a joke.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Most supplied ramrods are pretty sad even from older Knights. I use Delrin rods for the field and the Knight Ultimate range rod for the rest of my shooting. My old WinApex had a pretty good OEM ramrod and the old Ovation rod was really good. It was some kind of solid fiber and had nearly no flex.

Ive bought 2 of the solid aluminum Cabelas T-handle range rods ($20) and bent one. Its fine for most people but i like a tighter fitting sabot usually and i seat them hard.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can buy good replacement ram rods from Cain's. I have bought a few from there. However I would think about just buying a good high quaity range rod. That is the rod I use 99% of the time. Keep your light weight rod in the rifle for a second shot if that ever occurs, and buy a good solid brass range rod. Tom.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Im using this now for the range.

Knight Ultimate Range rod

Its pricey but does everything i require for range use. In the field i seldom need a fast follow up shot and i have the luxury of leaving a cheaper range rod in my large hunting "stand". This year was the first time i had to reload quickly IF i wanted to fill another tag. My first shot was nearly DRT but two more came into range. My next custom build wont even have a place for a gun mounted rod but its just a range queen anyway.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 03-26-2011 at 08:18 AM.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
Most supplied ramrods are pretty sad even from older Knights. I use Delrin rods for the field and the Knight Ultimate range rod for the rest of my shooting. My old WinApex had a pretty good OEM ramrod and the old Ovation rod was really good. It was some kind of solid fiber and had nearly no flex.

Ive bought 2 of the solid aluminum Cabelas T-handle range rods ($20) and bent one. Its fine for most people but i like a tighter fitting sabot usually and i seat them hard.
Not all aluminum is created equal. You'd have to do something really stupid to bend the Omega rod.

Like pull it down from the end.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Not all aluminum is created equal. You'd have to do something really stupid to bend the Omega rod.

Like pull it down from the end.
Ive never used a new T/C rod but the one on the Dream Season looked/felt great. Yep it was my fault and it was really long too. I had a sabotless bullet that wasn't quite the right size and didn't feel like taking it apart to remove it. Im sure you can relate to a full bore bullet that didn't seat all the way down.

Get one and see how well it works with a sabotless jacketed bullet or use a .458 bullet in a .452 sabot. Now i take more time sizing my sabotless experiments and i verify they all seat on the powder before trying them.

My new range rod is extremely high quality stainless with a bore guide and adjustable witness stop ring.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 03-26-2011 at 08:35 AM.

Quick Reply: What's a good replacement Ram-Rod?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.