Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 What's a good replacement Ram-Rod? >

What's a good replacement Ram-Rod?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What's a good replacement Ram-Rod?

Old 03-26-2011, 01:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Not that it wouldn't shoot them, but I like a PRB in sidelocks.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:27 PM
Banned

yeah prb and sidelocks are ok for squirrels and other small game
Old 03-26-2011, 02:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
So you'd think until I get stuck in the crud ring. One time I had to go home from a hunt, because I was stuck in the crud ring.

You can't imagine how mad I was. Don't even try to tell how great T7 is. I'm not going for it.
You I now getting one stuck is not fun but that is the learning part.... You can prevent one from getting stuck really easy with a moist patch and short strokes at the ring or if you do get one stuck just drop a squirt of water in the whole ring will dissolve and the rod will come out slick as a whistle (actually I had to use some Diet Dr. Pepper - once when a newbie friend of mine got his stuck). Didn't have any water with us just my drink for lunch.

No, you shoot what you want too, that is the way it should be but T7 and some learning will get the job done with less money. and today that is a concern of mine.

My point was that you really should not need a solid rod... The powdersiscussion is a whole 'nother topic.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm not new to this, and I could make you understand, but it's not that important to me.

I was talking about ramrods, and only used T7 as an example of why I like strong rods. I could give others. It makes no sense to me to have a flimsy rod. Weight is insignificant.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:50 PM
Banned

I lost a lot of weight once i pulled my scope and mounts off. Thats the stuff that adds weight up quickly.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:35 PM
Typical Buck

I bought 3 of these. Cut to fit. No complaints. If one breaks I am out $9.00.

http://www.eabco.com/store/products/...od-1340-0.html
Old 03-26-2011, 04:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Omega45
I bought 3 of these. Cut to fit. No complaints. If one breaks I am out $9.00.

http://www.eabco.com/store/products/...od-1340-0.html
Dang you! $9 bucks I just bought 4 from TC $12.24...

Those are the rods that I use for replacement rods and the do work great....
Old 03-26-2011, 08:18 PM
Fork Horn

Are those TC hollow rods any larger in diameter than the skinny Knight rods? If they are, they might stay put a little better.

The only reason I was thinking solid was because I didnt switch in time to the hph24 , and was still using the 12's with a Gold dot 250 which was a tight fit in my Knight. My mistake,. It got tight and I had my starter ball sitting on that hollow rod about half way down and snapped it. Was feeling bad enough that day that I should have gone home instead of hunting and that probably contibuted to my pushing when I should have used a little more fineses in coaxing the tight fit down.

I have wondered what the heavier solid rod may do towards changing first shot impact and maybe overall accuracy. Dont know.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:07 PM
Typical Buck

Sabotloader,

I bought them because you had recommended them to me. You had sent me the TC link months ago but I googled them and saw EABrown had them cheap. I think I paid 8.00 shipping. If I would have known you were looking to buy I would have let you know. They are hollow light weight aluminum.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by grizzly 2
Are those TC hollow rods any larger in diameter than the skinny Knight rods? If they are, they might stay put a little better.
You know I believe they may be slightly larger than the Knight shafts. I have switched all of my Knights over to these.

The only reason I was thinking solid was because I didnt switch in time to the hph24 , and was still using the 12's with a Gold dot 250 which was a tight fit in my Knight. My mistake,. It got tight and I had my starter ball sitting on that hollow rod about half way down and snapped it. Was feeling bad enough that day that I should have gone home instead of hunting and that probably contibuted to my pushing when I should have used a little more fineses in coaxing the tight fit down.

I have wondered what the heavier solid rod may do towards changing first shot impact and maybe overall accuracy. Dont know.
So now that you might be considering one of them i can offer my service again about building you one with a jag on the end to store under your barrel.... let me know

I too use the HPH24 in my Knight's

Quick Reply: What's a good replacement Ram-Rod?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.