Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Which would you pick >

Which would you pick

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Which would you pick

Old 01-26-2009, 01:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Which would you pick

Guys - I was down my local gun shop last week and I am in a debate with myself. I don't have or never owned a Win 94. He has a couple on the used rack - 1 for $250 and the other for $300.
There is also a left hand 50 cal, percussion Great Plains Rifle - brand new that he's had forever. The tag on it is $300. Now, if you were a lefty like I am, which would you grab. I already have a GPH flinter and T/C Hawken and Renegade percussions.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:19 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Which would you pick

How old are the Winchester Model 94's? Some of the newer ones were junk. 1964 AND OLDER are generally the ones condsidered better then most. Some of the new ones for instance, my friend had one and while walking around the sight fell off. Now my old one was a real good shooter it was early 50's and milled not stamped.

Also while a 30-30 is a good short range weapon, they are not anything all that special. A lot of game have fallen to that cartridge, I can not argue that. But a lot of people buy them because they watched too many westerns as children. Actually I like the Marlin better. And $250.00.. it better be in good shape. But the choice is yours.

Looks like you have a good selection of muzzleloaders.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hey Dave - If Ihave a good selection of MLs - you have a super colossial fantastic collection (and still growing I think).
Old 01-26-2009, 01:40 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

Hey Dave - If Ihave a good selection of MLs - you have a super colossial fantastic collection (and still growing I think).
I am still working on the collection. Someday, I will list all my rifles and then you will know just what a nut job I really am... Although there are others out there I pray, worse then me.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Someday, I will list all my rifles and then you will know just what a nut job I really am... Although there are others out there I pray, worse then me.
Sometimes our prayers aren't answered. Maybe He has determined that you should be the leader. Maybe you just ought to start praying for a price reduction in Blackhorn and do us all some good.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had a Win 94 many years ago, my first CF rifle, and its one of only two guns I have ever let out of my control. The story behind why I let it go is too long to share but I've regreted it ever since. I now have a Marlin 336 that is IMO a better rifle and a joy to shoot. If you don't already have a RB flinter I would consider getting the Lyman and see if you could talk him down some just to get it out of his stock. It would make a nice compliment to the flintGPH you already have.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Offer him $400 for the GPH and one of the 94s.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey crazy man, works for me.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bronko: When I purchase a new firearm, I look for something that will expand my shooting options. For example, I have two flint rifles, one a 50 cal, the other a 54 cal. The next rifle will be a 32-you get the idea.

If you have the 50/54 cal range covered, perhaps you might want to get the Winchester. I have one. Like Dave said, the newer models are nothing special. But for sentimental reasons, just to say you have one, there is nothing wrong with them.

JM2C

Old 01-27-2009, 12:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for the input guys. I am almost of the opinion that if you do not have a traditional ML, a 30-06 (in any rifle), and a Winchester 94 prior to the cross bolt safety (in any caliber) - you could be considered 'un-American'.
There are now 3 94s in his shop. These are all older ones. Not the newer crap. Funny thing is, I inherited a box of 250 brand new 30-30 brass somewhere along the line and its sitting in a drawer in my loading room just waiting to be used. I think I'm going to have to grab one of these rifles. Heck, I may even snatch the GPR too if he goes down to $250 or even $275.

Quick Reply: Which would you pick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.