Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Do you need a fowled bore for best accuracy? >

Do you need a fowled bore for best accuracy?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Do you need a fowled bore for best accuracy?

Old 01-25-2009, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Do you need a fowled bore for best accuracy?

I have never tried my first shot on a fowled bore, nor do I blow off a couple of 209's befor I shoot for the first time. After I shoot say a deer, I then fully clean My ML and then reload it for the next day.They say to blow off a primer or two to get anymoisture out of the barrel or to make sure the breechplug fire channel is open, but My ML is always clean, so do I have to?When I go back out and if I shoot another deer the shot always goes where I aim. And if I have a charge in my gun for a few days and want to check it on a target, when I do it's right on again. So do you need to shoot a round off or a couple of primers befor you reload for the hunt, or to practice or sight in? So what Im saying is a Clean Bore as good or not as a fowled Bore?
Old 01-25-2009, 11:03 AM
Banned

Default RE: Do you need a fowled bore for best accuracy?

it depends on the gun. Some like a dirty bore, some shoot better on clean, other guns it doesnt matter. That what range time it used for. Got to check and see what it likes and dislikes.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm pretty sure they shoot one to fowl the barell, for better shooting reasons also, i'm learning all this
stuff myself so i'm not positive, as for you and your gun i think you answered your own question.

I've never done it either
Old 01-25-2009, 11:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Some people say so but I have always found a way to keep the first shot in the group.
On firing primers before loading, yes you should either fire a couple primers or take the gun down and clean it with boiling water for hunting before loading. This is what I do and I have never had a hang fire or misfire while huntingsince I started doing it 30 years a go. Lee
Old 01-25-2009, 11:43 AM
Dominant Buck

It all depends on the rifle. Some will shoot real close on a dirty barrel or clean. Others I have seen as much as five inches off.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your way is working well for you so far so no need to reinvent the process. One thing I would suggest is that you verify where the second and third shots go if you don't clean the barrel, that way you know what to expect if you need a followup shot in the field without a chance to clean. In that situation swabbing the bore with a spit patch or the like would be what many of us do.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im not bragging, and I hope it never happens, but in 20 years I've never needed a follow up shot, my first shot has always done it's job. That's why I started ML Hunting, it taught me to take only a good shot and pass if I was'nt positive I'd kill the animal cleanly on the first shot. Back to your reply, (NO) I have never needed a second shot so I dont know exactly where it would go. But when I sight in a new scope, or try a few practice shots, they all seem to be in a acceptable group. Also It may be just the ML's I shoot, I only have CVA's, so what are the chances that all 5 of my CVA's dont need a fowled bore to be on, on the first shot? And I never owned anything but CVA so I cant say either way if it has happened with a different ML. Thank's for all the replys, I'll see what happens next time I practice, I'll shoot off a primer befor I shoot and see where it goes, then the next time out I'll try the clean barrel. Ron
Old 01-25-2009, 01:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Glad to hear that. I have several CVA guns also and I guess it comes down to what is an acceptable group size from clean to dirty barrel. Every gun and every load in those guns will behave a little differently. I too have seen some that throw the first shot quite a ways from subsequent shots. Many of the loads I shoot will stay within a couple of inches of the first (clean barrel) shot at 100 yards, more than adequate for most hunting situations. If I'm expecting longer shots, say 200 yards +, then I want to know exactly what to expect if a follow up shot is needed or if I miss and want to continue hunting. I do find that a quick spit patch, both sides, keeps my groups tight enough to give me confidence on longer range shots. I try to practice different senerios at the range so there are no surprizes in the field.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Breechplug

I have never tried my first shot on a fowled bore, nor do I blow off a couple of 209's befor I shoot for the first time. After I shoot say a deer, I then fully clean My ML and then reload it for the next day.They say to blow off a primer or two to get anymoisture out of the barrel or to make sure the breechplug fire channel is open, but My ML is always clean, so do I have to?When I go back out and if I shoot another deer the shot always goes where I aim. And if I have a charge in my gun for a few days and want to check it on a target, when I do it's right on again. So do you need to shoot a round off or a couple of primers befor you reload for the hunt, or to practice or sight in? So what Im saying is a Clean Bore as good or not as a fowled Bore?
I never foul the bore with just a primer. I did swab my Omega and Knight when I used 777 between each shots. Anything that promotes consistency shot to shot should be encouraged and used. I use BH now and I don't swab between shots and don't feel I need to since I can shoot 1" groups with it with my Omega and a Barnes MZ 300g. Basically get a routine, at the range and when your hunting try to be as consistent as possible. So I don't think it matters if you foul or if you don'tjust be consistent.
Chap

Old 01-25-2009, 01:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

With inlines I always sight in with a clean barrel because it will be clean when I hunt...I don't worry about the 2nd shot, that's not what muzzleloading is about...When hunting, I still run a couple of damp patches down the bore and a dry one...My inline won't load with a dirty bore, it's too tight...

Flintlocks are much easier...I load the first ball with a .018 patch and have a couple of balls with .015 patches ready for reloads...With a fouled bore my flinter shoots both into the same group...

Quick Reply: Do you need a fowled bore for best accuracy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.