Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 New to black powder >

New to black powder

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New to black powder

Old 01-21-2009, 04:17 PM

Default New to black powder

I am a virgin to black powder anI would like to start hunting deer with it to extend my deer season. The thing is in PA the second season is flintlock only. I would like some advice on where to get started. I'm looking for a midrange gun incase I don't injoy it. If I like doing it I will spent the money for a really good gun, but I don't what to send a lot of money till I know that I will enjoy it. Any help?
Old 01-21-2009, 04:26 PM
Banned

Default RE: New to black powder

if you need a flinter i would look at the websites such as www.trackofthewolf.com and search through some of the custom stuff. And then find the Lyman Great Plains rifle in .54cal.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:42 PM
Dominant Buck

Mid range priced flintlock of excellent quality is a Lyman Trade Rifle. Get the rifle in .54 caliber. Also get a RMC Sports touch hole liner for it. Some .530 ball. And some .015 patch. You can shoot .535 ball but they load tight. Load 90 grains of Goex 2f and that patched ball and there is no deer standing can take that hit.

Even though this is mid range priced, it will be all the rifle you need. The 1-48 twist also shoots powerbelts and conicals well if you ever want to hunt something bigger.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: nutzy66

I am a virgin to black powder anI would like to start hunting deer with it to extend my deer season. The thing is in PA the second season is flintlock only. I would like some advice on where to get started. I'm looking for a midrange gun incase I don't injoy it. If I like doing it I will spent the money for a really good gun, but I don't what to send a lot of money till I know that I will enjoy it. Any help?
I hunt PA late season with a TC flintlock. I bought it on gunbroker used for $300. Delivered. Shoots excellent with 50 yard signt in 2" high. I recommend you buy a used TC for no more than 300, and you should be able to find one on Gunbroker or in local pawn shops or in a local newspaper after the season. I have seen good rifles go for as low as $150 for a FL. Get double set trigger. Lyman is a good rifle also, but I like the TC guarantee. Best wishes, Chap Gleason
Old 01-21-2009, 05:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

nutzy66

If you going with a rock sparker - get some one to talk to you about taking care of the flint andhow to use the pan and the harware with the pan.

I am not qualified
Old 01-21-2009, 06:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

There are a number of flint lock people here and they will try to answer your questions. But the leaning curve will be much better if you can find some one local to SHOW you there are time when seeing is worth a thousand words and getting it right with a flint lock is one of them. Lee
Old 01-21-2009, 07:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: nutzy66

first, before you buy the gun, YOU MUST ENJOY IT.

its not killing with muzz that is fun, its HUNT and knowing you are making your hunting harder by not using high power rifle with a scope.

usually you have woods to yourself.open sights, shots at 75 yds and under.
nice snow on ground but COLD.
IF YOU DONT LIKE THOSE 2 THINGS, FORGET MUZZLELOADER.

but its fun to shoot at range, i enjoy that too.

then if you enjoy that, then use the above ideas on buying a flintlock.

remember too, everything cost today.

asserioes you will need cost money.

you must practice shooting more than a centerfire rifle.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

asserioes
HUH???!!! Is that a bad digestive reaction to Cherios?

Nutzy:
Flintlocks are a lot of fun, it is the only type of muzz I shoot. But as was mentioned above, there is a learning curve. If you can find someone to show you how to use them, especially flint maintenance (known as "knapping"), you will have a much easier time.

Some other things: unlike other muzzleloaders, flintlocks only shoot real black powder, so make sure you have a source for it. If you cannot get it locally, you may need to order it. I and others here have ordered from Powder, inc and have had good luck with them:

http://http://www.powderinc.com/

You will need 2 different powder granulations: 4F in the pan and 2 or 3F down the pipe. DO NOT use 4F as your main propellant. The finer grain 4F powder builds up pressure much faster than the coarser 2/3F and is not safe to use as a propellant.

A 1lb can of 4F will last a LONG time

You will need to practice quite a lot to build up your accuracy and confidence, but that is the fun part. Expect a lot of stares and questions at the range.

Hope this was of some help.
~Robert
Old 01-22-2009, 04:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Nutzy - fellow PA guy here. To be honest, you can get a top of the line flinter on the used gun rack. You can pick up a Thompson Center Hawken for no more than $250 at most gun shops around my area and if you can find one, a T/C Renegade for about $200. In fact I know a shop that has 3 Hawkens on the used racks. If I were you I would buy a $6 CVA bore light and take withyou to the gun shops. Check the bores for rust and or pitting. Then check the lock and triggers for operation. What I've found is that you will either get a real nice one that has been cared for or you may find one that was neglected due to ignorance with black powder use and corrosiveness.(that's why you need the bore light).

Old 01-22-2009, 06:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

You will need 2 different powder granulations: 4F in the pan and 2 or 3F down the pipe.
Though 4F is generally recommended for pan powder, it'snot an absolute necessity. I've been using 3F in both the pan and the bore with great success.

Quick Reply: New to black powder

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.