Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 New Scope on the Genesis... >

New Scope on the Genesis...

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New Scope on the Genesis...

Old 01-21-2009, 01:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: New Scope on the Genesis...

cayugad

For me, and myself only - I do not see the need here. Now if I lived in on the Mississippi in the south or if I was along one of the seaboards (salt) I certainly would add the sheath. Shaun - living northern Montana said all he used for storage is the conditioner without a dry patching until next use.

He also did mention if you put oil on top of the conditioner to dry patch before shooting (a regular rifle)

Apparently they have been listening as they are starting to do some experiments with ML's - course he says if you shoot BH - it is not a problem at all - but you should never leave ANY bore unprotected for a length of time.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:32 PM
Dominant Buck

A applied some Sheath on a patch and swabbed the bores of the rifles I had treated with Montana X-treme bore conditioner. One strange thing.. the bores are clean. Now when I swabbed them with Sheath, I got a very dark gray something or other stain on the Sheath patch. The worst of course that really stained the patch was a Renegade I had treated a few weeks ago now, but have not shot. Its not rust, but it almost looks like oxidation of some sorts off the metal.

Any of you have any ideas what that dark stuff might be? I am almost 100% sure its not fowling.

That's the four rifles I have treated. The worst was the Renegade. Then the Bison. Then the CVA Staghorn. And finally the Genesis that I shot today. (left to right).
Old 01-21-2009, 02:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad
Just sent you an email as I could not get this site to come up for awhile...
Old 01-21-2009, 02:31 PM
Dominant Buck

yes it went down on me too...
Old 01-21-2009, 07:19 PM
Fork Horn

Guys - if an alcohol patch is required required before shooting, and a top coat of oil is recommended (for long storage and for sure here in Tennessee)...what's the value of X-Treme conditioner? I almost ordered some today from MidSouth but am now thinking I'll stick with CLP or RemOil. I did, however, love the thought of reduced crud ring.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hammer49

When i talked to Shaun @ Western/Montana X-treme he told me that the top coat of a quality oil would not alter the effects of the conditioner in the bore as long as the conditioner went into the bore when it was clean and free of regular oil. So pulling the top coat of oil out with a dry patch and even a alcohol patch will not get to the conditioner.

I think Dave and I both are way early into the learning curve for the use of the Conditioner and what it will do or might do forthe bore.

Again Shaun emphasized the importance of a clean bore before application.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:34 PM
Dominant Buck

Hammer I sent that exact question to them in an email. I also asked them what steps should be taken when using the product. And also just what then is the bore conditioner supposed to do if you cover it with oil? So we will see how they answer. I'd hold off on the purchase also.

I was able to get the dark patches removed. I took a bore brush and some Butch's Bore Shine Solvent and scrubbed the bores. Then I swabbed them with Butch's. I set them in a corner for a 1/2 hour and then went and swabbed them again. Then I dry patched them. And then I put some BreakFree CLP on a patch and patched them. When I swabbed all of that out, the patches were clean. So I took some Birchwood Casey Sheath and oiled the bores. I will be waiting for word on how to use the bore conditioner.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:41 PM
Dominant Buck

Also I was playing with the Traditions scope at fading light tonight. I am impressed with the light gathering ability of the scope. Also I turned the cross hairs on. There are eleven brightness settings. I used only #2 and with that, the red colored lighted cross hairs stood out like a sore thumb sighting into my woods. I was looking at different trees to get an idea what it would be like on a game animal. So far this is kind of neat to play with. All I bought the scope for was to play as it is not even legal during muzzleloader season. But if you can't have fun, then what's the use.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:52 PM
Fork Horn

SL and Cayugad,

Thanks so much for digging into this issue. I know I'm relatively new but shooting/tinkering with my MZ occupies alot of my free time (as much as is afforded with work and four young kids). With that said, I'll do most anything to improve the accuracy of my PH so long as the cost isn't too high. I couldn't stand it if I ruined my barrel...it would be a long sping and summer saving up for a new one...again, four kids and great wife but one income only goes so far. I went big with the PH (for me) thinking it would last me a long time til things get a little easier.

Thanks again!

Hammer

Cayugad - PS...my wife and her father (here visiting) say hello. She was born on their family farm in Eau Claire (dairy farm) but raised on the mission field (in Nigeria..west Africia).
Old 01-23-2009, 05:40 PM
Fork Horn

Cayugad, you used simple green to wipe with. Do you use that during your main clean up as well? I know Simple Green is a great product but never though to use it for cleaning a gun.

Quick Reply: New Scope on the Genesis...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.