Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 New Scope on the Genesis... >

New Scope on the Genesis...

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New Scope on the Genesis...

Old 01-21-2009, 11:24 AM
Dominant Buck

Default New Scope on the Genesis...

Well it was a so so day. 25 degrees so it was really warm out. Snowing (what else is new here), veryovercastwiththosegray snowskies,and a little wind. At times it was brutal when the wind picked up, but nothing that was chasing me off the range.

I bought a Traditions 1.5-6x40mm illuminated cross hair scope and a couple sets of quick release mounts. The scopes were on sale for $49.99 so I wanted to see if I could shake one apart. Although the scope is made for a muzzleloader and has a life time warranty, so it might hold up good. So I mounted that scope on my Remington Genesis .50 caliber. I used Traditons High quick release mounts.

The Remington Genesis was treated with Montana X-treme Bore treatment so it gave me a chance to test another barrel that I have been working with to see if I like this bore treatment or not. I started out with just a dry patch. The thing you notice when you swab that first dry patch is just how smooth that barrel really is. It feels like your wiping glass almost. Also the patch showed no sign of anything in the bore. I then popped a 209 primer off.

To sight in, Iwas using 90 grains of Triple Seven 2f powder, .44 caliber .430 diameter 300 gr Hornady XTP in a green Harvester crushed rib sabot. I shoot Winchester W209 primers.

I brought the target up to 13 yards and shot two rounds. It was one hole in the target. It was hitting three inches low and two inches to the left. So I made an adjustment. Fired two more and again, it had two touching level to the bull but still about an inch to the left of the bull. So the next adjustment put two of them at 5 o'clock on the dead center,of the bull.

I then ran the target back to 50 yards and discovered it was now about an inch to the right and about an inch and a half high. One more adjustment and it was shooting on the outside of a 1 inch Birchwood Casey dot at 12 o'clock.

After that it was a matter of knocking the one inch dots off the target. In the cold I discovered the sticky does not stick to well, so a solid center hit (aim at the bottom of the bull) to the dot knocks them right off the paper.

I was swabbing the bore with a hardly moist spit patch. No dry patch afterward, just load and shoot. Accuracy was very impressive.

I had read that sabotloader tried swabbing with a dry patch so I had to give it a go too. Well that patch started to get stuck at the breech, so I turned the rifle upside down and held the T handle with my toes. I then swabbed the riflelike that. And in the snow was a small amount of burnt powder residue. So this powder fowling will not stick to the bore. Is that because of the Montana X-treme? I could not say.

All I know is the rifle is easy to swab and with four patches of Simple Green, I had the barrel clean. Then a couple dry patches. Then just to check the bore, I swabbed with a patch of Hoppies #9. It came out clean. So I dry patched it again, then I gave it another Montana X-treme bore treatment.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New Scope on the Genesis...

Do you, or does anyoneknow anything about the formulation of the oil?

Is it simply a highly refined petroleum based oil?
Old 01-21-2009, 11:41 AM
Dominant Buck

I have sent Montana X-treme two emails asking for some questions to be answered. They do not seem to read their emails. So all I can tell you is that same thing you read on their site.

I am not sold on this oil yet. But it sure does show promise. And because of my personal lack of information on this product, and what it is supposed to do and accomplish, I refuse to suggest to others that this is something they should use. I will just keep testing it in different ways. Although that glass smooth bore is really something.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:49 AM
Fork Horn

Cayugad - does the X-Treme take the place of synthetic oil (RemOil, Sheath, etc... at the end of cleaning)????? I get the sense that MX potentially has many advantages, but I'm foggy on the final rust preventative perspective. Thanks in advance.

Hammer
Old 01-21-2009, 12:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

From their site:
Bore Conditioner

Montana X-tremeā„¢ Bore Conditioner is a bore lubricant specially formulated for x-treme accuracy in today's precision match grade barrels. It is a super refined, low residue oil that has been processed to eliminate the factors that cause oil to gum and congeal. This formula contains no P.T.F.E., silicones or synthetics of any kind which leave residue behind that can affect accuracy

I haven't used it yet but you guys are having it look like it shows promise. I like the fact that they say it eliminates the factors that cause oil to gum and congeal. I believe it is these same factors that when mixed with regular BP fouling form that tarry residue in the bore. Have any of you used BP with the MX treated bore yet?
Old 01-21-2009, 12:21 PM
Dominant Buck

No I have not used the Montana X-treme with black powder. But I will do that that next time out as an experiment. Then I will see if I get that black tar build up. I personally doubt I will.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

OK.. I am going to give this a shot I am going to call MX and see if I can find some more info...
Old 01-21-2009, 12:43 PM
Dominant Buck

Good luck... ask them how to use all this stuff too.

that is the new Traditions scope with the illuminated cross hairs.

I was a little concerned about the eye relief, but it seems fine. I was shooting it and never got touched.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

Dave just talked to Shaun at MX - he is going to email you himself...

We do need to use an oil on top of the Bore Condit. for extended storage if you have the type of humidity that will cause rapid rusting.

If you want questions answered he suggested emailto:

[email protected]

He was all apologetic about not getting your emails... Western has bought Mntan X-treme out and all things are not equal..

Old 01-21-2009, 01:08 PM
Dominant Buck

So I better throw some Sheath on top of that bore conditioner.. well that means you would have to alcohol patch it to get the oil out of the bore. So I am wondering what the advantage of it is?

Quick Reply: New Scope on the Genesis...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.