Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Lookin for a new bullet and sabot >

Lookin for a new bullet and sabot

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Lookin for a new bullet and sabot

Old 01-22-2009, 02:07 AM
Spike

Default RE: Lookin for a new bullet and sabot

Sabotloader,
I bought the 240's in a bubble pack and they are from Hornaday. Both bullets and sabots (green ones) were in the same package. That is the only thing that crossed my mind as far as having a problem loading. I have not had the time, nor the weather, to get something different and try them. A good freind of mine uses Hornaday 250gr. SST in his regular Encore, bought in abubble pack also, and doesn't seem to have any trouble but I wasn't bright enough at the time to try them in mine.I have been wanting to try something else but this cold Ohio weather isdriving me nuts [:@] Thanks for the help.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:48 AM
Typical Buck

well I've had some experience with the sst bullets and they are questionable in my eyes. Depending on what kind of shots you are taking. over 100 yards or under 100 yards. I have shot deer with the SST so has my friend. At close yardages the ballistic tip causes the bullet to explode and completely fall apart. At the same time if you are shooting long distances the SST is more aerodynamic and will expand properly. I shot a buck at 30 yards on a running shot and hit him in the shouler the bullet completely discinigrated my friend shot a doe at 30 yards and the bullet discinigrated and she ran another 400 yards before dying and that was a heart shot. Later in the year he shot a doe at roughly 200 yds and hit her in the lungs she ran about 20-30 yards and died. At closer yardages I believe the xtp will hold up better and expand more properly than the sst. I would try the Harvester crush rib sabots with the 44 cal 240 grain xtp bullet and see how that goes especially if shooting at closer distances.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: flybub

Hey all. I just finished my first box of Hornaday 240gr. XTP's and those things were a bear to load in my TC Pro Hunter. There were times I thought I was going to snap my ram rod. When I put the bullet/sabot at the tip of the barrel I have to hold my ram rod and the opening of the barrel in my left hand and use alot of my weight and my right arm to get it about half way down the barrel before it loosens up. I am a hunter only, I don't shoot for recreation so I'm looking for something a little biteasier to load in the field when I need a quick follow up shot. Would the TC Easy Slides be ok for the purpose I am using them for? I am contemplating going from BH209 to T7 Pellets just for simplicity and price but undecided right now. The powder I am not as concerned with at this point as I am finding a sabot that will load easier than what I am using now. Any recommendations? Thanks for any help.
New sabot, Harvester Crushed Rib sabot. new bullet. Nosler Partition 300g HG, Barnes MZ 300g, Barnes FlatNose 45/70 bullet 45843 in Crushed rib sabot, Speer Gold Dot 300g in Crushed Rib sabot. Blackhorn 209 since no swabbing. Chap