Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Lookin for a new bullet and sabot >

Lookin for a new bullet and sabot

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Lookin for a new bullet and sabot

Old 01-21-2009, 06:19 AM
Spike

Default Lookin for a new bullet and sabot

Hey all. I just finished my first box of Hornaday 240gr. XTP's and those things were a bear to load in my TC Pro Hunter. There were times I thought I was going to snap my ram rod. When I put the bullet/sabot at the tip of the barrel I have to hold my ram rod and the opening of the barrel in my left hand and use alot of my weight and my right arm to get it about half way down the barrel before it loosens up. I am a hunter only, I don't shoot for recreation so I'm looking for something a little biteasier to load in the field when I need a quick follow up shot. Would the TC Easy Slides be ok for the purpose I am using them for? I am contemplating going from BH209 to T7 Pellets just for simplicity and price but undecided right now. The powder I am not as concerned with at this point as I am finding a sabot that will load easier than what I am using now. Any recommendations? Thanks for any help.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Lookin for a new bullet and sabot

flybub
The right sabot will make all bullets that size fit, for your gun try MMP HPH24 and Harvester Crush Ribs. Lee
Old 01-21-2009, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

The t7 made my pro hunter even harder to load,never tryed the bh209 yet, seen it a cabela's the other
day had it in my hand along with white hots could not make myself buy either.Mine loads betterwith
pyro at least till you hit the crud-ring,thats when you need a jackhammer.
Thats using sw 250's and pb
Old 01-21-2009, 07:30 AM
Dominant Buck

What you need is a better sabot. There are some that will make that loading managable and not a fight to the finish. In fact, how was the accuracy with a sabot loading that tight? I use the Harvester Crushed Rib sabots for about 75% of my sabot shooting. I also have some Nosler and some Thompson Center that fit tighter, but most my rifles like the crushed rib.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:56 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: cayugad

What you need is a better sabot. There are some that will make that loading managable and not a fight to the finish. In fact, how was the accuracy with a sabot loading that tight? I use the Harvester Crushed Rib sabots for about 75% of my sabot shooting. I also have some Nosler and some Thompson Center that fit tighter, but most my rifles like the crushed rib.
Accuracy wasn't too bad. I was 2 for 2 during deer season so that is good enough for me. I don't consider myself a good shooter but my groups were 2.5-3" at 100 yards with a Nikon Omega scope. I don't judge my shooting by a piece of paper, I judge it based on how full my freezer is, so as long as it hits the vitals of the the animal in my scope is all I'm concerned about. If I neededa quick reload for either of the 2 I shot I might as well forget it and wait for the next deer to show up. That is one reason I may switch from the BH209 to the T7 pellets, reloading time for me was much faster with the pellets. I don't care much for the crud ring and residue it leaves compared to the BH, but every powder is going to have its pros and cons.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

flybub

I don't care much for the crud ring and residue it leaves compared to the BH

Thats what makes it harder to load!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-21-2009, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

What do you carry your powder in to make it so much slower?
Old 01-21-2009, 08:37 AM
Fork Horn

For the XTP .44, get the green Harvestor Crushed Rib sabot, should load easier. As for the pellets, easier, as in no measuring, not the best for working up a load. Ihavebeen shooting T7pellets, but am going to start using loose powder to maximize my accuracy.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:01 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: hunting junkie

What do you carry your powder in to make it so much slower?
I'm carrying powder in the T/C 4-1 Speed Loader.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

flybub

Hey all. I just finished my first box of Hornaday 240gr. XTP's and those things were a bear to load in my TC Pro Hunter.
Couple things... I am not sure what bore diameter your PH might be so I am just going with a couple of thoughts... the other thing I am wondering and assuming the the 240's you have been using are 44 cal... If that is the case there are not as many sabots choices in the 44 cal as there are in the 50 class. The only alternative might be the Harvester - Green 44 Cal sabots or the Harvester 'crush rb'.

Did you purchase a box of 240's and then get a package of sabots or did it come as bubble pack from Hornady of TC? The brand makes a difference in which sabot might have been packed with it.

All of this is just guess-work on my part - but knowing that youhave a TCproduct and talking45 cal bullets - you will probably need aMMP HPH-24 or a comparable Harvester either 'Short Black or Regular Black' - if these fit your bore you have it made... If they are to tight then you will be looking at the MMP HPH-3p-EZ load (same as TC's Supper Glide) or the Harvester 'crush rib' with the 'crush rib being slightly thinner than the 3p sabot.

If you can let me know more abou what you were using - I might be able to tell what sabot you were using also.

Quick Reply: Lookin for a new bullet and sabot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.