Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Montana X-treme Bison >

Montana X-treme Bison

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Montana X-treme Bison

Old 01-19-2009, 12:09 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Montana X-treme Bison

50 yard bench rest 15º slight wind 1mph, overcast, snowing
White Bison .504 Simmons Pro Diamond 4x32mm scope
500 gr Bull Shop Conical .504 diameter sized in Lee sizer
90 gr of Pyrodex RS & Triple Seven 2f
80 gr of Pyrodex RS & Triple Seven

Due to the warm weather and lack of wind.. I figured it would not be too bad shooting today. Granted it was snowing pretty good. I also loaded all the powder charges in Lane Tubes for easy loading. I had ran a box of Bull Shop conicals in 500 grain through my Lee Sizer the other day, because the Bison really likes that diameter conical. So I figured I was all set.

90 grains of Triple Seven 2f was used there.I wanted to see if the Montana X-treme bore conditioner would hold that first shot. So I dry patched the barrel without Windex or alcohol and popped one #11 cap to check for fire channel, before I started the test. I did not swab during the four shots. I also never noticed a crud ring of any kind when loading the other shots. I was more then happy with that group. Especially since I normally shoot 80 grains of Triple Seven. 90 grains would be a load good enough for about anything IMO.

I laid a clean patch on my tongue to just get a little moisture on the patch (since my cleaning solution spray nozzles tend to free closed in this weather) and went to check the first four shot group. I then swabbed the barrel with a very lightly moistened spit patch. There was no crud ring from the Triple Seven. I then shot this three shot group with 90 grains of Pyrodex RS. I would have shot more but I was sure I saw good old Murphy hiding in the woods and did not want to blow that group.

I then swabbed the barrel again with the same spit patch and shot off about fifteen more rounds into various targets. I actually swabbed one more time before the patch came apart.

During our cold snap I had made colored ice chunks. I used small plastic containers and set them out in the -30 degree weather. So I was setting them up on the back stop and splattering them all over the woods. It was a lot more fun then paper punching.

So far this Montana X-treme bore conditioner seems to hold the first shot into the group. Also swabbing is very easy. Whether this bore treatment is the cause is hard to say in the Bison's case because this rifle really is a gentleman on the range about swabbing, and shooting dirty. Also these Weaver quick release rings came back to true zero real well. The weaver are a lot cheaper then the Warne.

The rifle cleaned easy (as normal) and I treated the bore with the Montana X-treme again. So we will see how it does at the next range session.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Montana X-treme Bison

Dave, thanks for the report - it is really nice to be able to compare notes. At this point you and I are the only ones I know using the MX in a ML. Your experiance pretty much right along with what I have found...

I have my 50 cal PRB Renegade out now and plan to shoot it sometime this week. I have made one application of MX and it has not been shot yet with the MX. I did strip the bore with bore cleaner and alcohol before appliing the MX.

Hopefully tomarrow or the next day it & I will make a trip to the farm.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good report Cayugad, and good shooting as usual. I'm sure glad you got some "warm" weather so you won't get SWS (Shooter's Withdrawal Syndrome).
Old 01-19-2009, 01:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good report Dave. Looks like I'm going to have to get me some of that MX and give it a try. I was looking to see what the 80 gr loads would do but I guess you used them up on the ice. It appears that that Bison may like the Pyro RS over the T7. That is usually the case with my rifles. They all seem to prefer the Pyro over T7.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:35 PM
Typical Buck

Very nice shooting....wish i had a range close to me. Is that Bison the same as on Roger Raglin tapes? My nikon omega scope is due in tuesday, and once i figure the proper rings and mounts it will be put on. Then the first weekend in february we are heading to our cabin and i only hope i can come close to that grouping.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:39 PM
Typical Buck

I'm sure glad you got some "warm" weather so you won't get SWS

Yeah...tee shirt weather for sure!

Nice shooting. I've got to try this stuff with BH209 just to see if it makes a difference!
Old 01-19-2009, 04:25 PM
Dominant Buck

The Bison is made by White Rifle Company. It actually is a G series rifle, and kind of the bottom of their line of rifles. Although it might be their bottom of the line, there is no such thing as a bad White Rifle. Whether that is mentioned on the Roger Raglin tapes, I could not say.

When I was shooting ice and the center of the target, I just tore that center of the bull up. The ice targets are really a lot of fun. When they hit they just explode into chunks.

And for us, 15 degrees is warm weather. This time of the year, that's pretty nice actually..
Old 01-19-2009, 04:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Dave , what is that bore treatment supposed to do? I have never run across any so I have not had a chance to read their literature. Lee
Old 01-19-2009, 04:41 PM
Dominant Buck

They claim it will smooth out the bore, which it seems to do. Also they claim fowling will not stick to the bore as much, which I think it does. And it claims it makes clean up easier. Again, this might be true, but I do not know how to judge what it is doing for me. I was also interested in the fact that you dry patch the bore to start and that it makes the first shot in the group without fowing the bore. That it seems to do as well.

So I am still learning with the Montana X-Treme bore conditioner. I have not decided if I like it or not. But I have three rifles treated with it and have been shooting them to see if it is making a difference. So far I am pleased with the results.

I did email the company asking for directions to use their product but they did not answer. So all I can tell you is what Sabotloader told me about it. And what he said seems to be coming true. I will tell you more about it down the road.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks Dave it sounds like it may be worth while. Lee

Quick Reply: Montana X-treme Bison

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.