Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Is there more to this than I thought? >

Is there more to this than I thought?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Is there more to this than I thought?

Old 01-16-2009, 08:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Is there more to this than I thought?

I live in a small town in the country and have been shooting ML's for almost 20 years. From my first Poor Boy with a patched round ball that killed a-lot of Deer to my first inline, I thought I knew it all about ML's. You can all laugh but the first time I took out the old Poorboy my Father in law said ( dont shoot downhill or the ball will roll out of the barrel) I believed him! And when the first buck walked under my stand I did'nt shoot in fear of the ball rolling out. After I told my Father in law what happened and waht I did and he laughed I knew I had been fooled, I thought he was serious! Well those days have passed and from then on I graduated to inlines and what was available at the local Wal-Mart. I got My fist CVA and it shot good and it killed deer, that was all that matted right? First off Im a die hard Bowhunter and believe in the Traditional Hunt experiance. I spent many hours tuning my bow for the perfact arrow and broad head, field tip combo, then when I found what worked I used it and was good and placed in the top 10 at the Indoor World Championships in Atlantc City and 4th in the Canadian World Championships. Back to ML's...do I really need to go through all the same stuff I did with my bow to get good, to get good with my ML? If what Im using now, and it works, do I need to keep trying different powders, different sabots, ect...if what I use now works? All I ever used were TC 240gr. mag xpress sabots and 150gr. of Pyrodox and they grouped well, and killed a-lot of impresive bucks. Should I experiment with different sabots and powders or just stay with what works? I joined this forum to see what other people had to say about what they used and shot and from what I see you guy's are really high tec and are really into all the new and improved stuff. Should I stay with the same old loads or experiment? I dont want to beat myself up trying this and that if what I got works. When I was buying new Bow's every year I just had to have the newest and best bow but after awhile I let a-lot of good bows that were accurate and forgiving and killed deer go to the next lowest buyer only to find out my new bow that was much more was'nt as good as everyone said, or I thought it would be. So I finally kept my old Hoyt and have had it for 10 years now and it never let me down. Dont get me wrong I like new and improved, I just bought 2 CVA ACCURA's and plan on keeping them for a-long time. How much better can better get. Do we have to keep up with the Jones's or just keep what works and use it. Im for the (KISS) method..Keep it Simple Stupid. So should I try this new powder, this new sabot or just use what works? I dont mind cleaning My ML after shooting a nice Buck, so what If I spend 2 hours cleaning it, should I get a better powder that is easier to cleen, it cleans up just as nicenow as the new powder when Im done.Plus I can relive the hunt while Im doing it. Or should I try new sabots that dont group well and spend a-lot of money trying them to find out what I used was better to begin with?I'd rather think of new way's to out smart the next 150 class buck than to worry about what's gonna go in my ML next. So what do you all think, should I try this and that if what I use now works, or just go Hunting and be Happy?
Old 01-16-2009, 11:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Is there more to this than I thought?

Breechplug, you and I may be in the minority nowadays. I bought a TC sidehammer 50 cal. back in the early 80's. Found the powder and bullet combo that worked really well for my ML and I'm still popping caps on the same gun, still using black powder and the same conicals almost 27+/- years later and still dropping deer! I've got newer ML's and a variety of different ones but they're just for entertainment. It's not just my old ML that I stick with, I'm pretty loyal to whatever I find that works.

Now, if I were in marketing and wanted to attract your $$$$'s, I'd be coming out with new gadgets and promoting new angles on how you should be using my 'improved' products. 'Course, you already know that. I'm not really the kind of guy salesmen like to deal with!

Anyway, to answer your question, this forum is for the guys who like to try the new products and discuss their experiences, or, try differentthings with the proven equipment. Thanks to all those guys because they do guys like me a valuable service. Saving me time and money. So...it's not really a matter of keeping up with the Jones; it's more the thrill of experimentation and making a plan come together. Unless you're making a living at it, then it may be keeping up with the Jones.

Old 01-17-2009, 04:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome my friend and I think you have answered your own questions.
It's all out there for the tryin or not.
Sounds like you have had a wonderful time shooting and hunting bow and ML's and have found what works for you.
The accura's seem to be great guns,post some range reports if you get a chance or not.
I say Viva Le Differance and welcome
Old 01-17-2009, 04:33 AM
Fork Horn

Very good discusion guys, I guess what it really comes down tois whatever trips your trigger

years ago when I really got serious about the new bows every year I did a lot of experimenting with new arrows, fletching ,etc. It was fun but The combination that I have now I have been shooting for the last 8-10 years. You develop a relationship with your equipment and it never lets you down, like an old friend you are comfortable with. But now it is muzzleloaders, bullets, sabots, powder, etc. Maybe some day I will develop a lasting relationship with a certain combination but I guess it is just fun playing the field. Like dating different girls
Old 01-17-2009, 04:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thank's for your thoughts, that's exactly how I feel also. I love this forum, as you said the guys on it try all the new stuff combind with the old and give their opinions on what works for them and does'nt. It sure helps us a-lot on deciding what to use or nor to. I guess what I was trying to say in my long opening letter is, once we find that perfect set up should we leave it alone?.......should we fix it if it is'nt broke?
Old 01-17-2009, 05:40 AM
Fork Horn

You can keep that setup, make notes so you don't forget what works and what your favorite load is. thenif you want,you can experiment and keep notes on your experiments but you always have your favorite to go back to.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

It really depends on what your goals are some of usshoot because we enjoy it and some just for the purpose of getting things right for hunting some a few times a year some a few times a week. I have 20+ guns altogether and I just like to shoot, a lot of my shooting is for accuracy because I really enjoy getting good groups. That is not the reason a lot of people shoot and some don't care about real accuracy or how its achieved but only that they can hit a deer in the right place at a certain yardage and some will never be really good shots they just like to plink and that's fun for them. The important thing is to find how what you really want and what you really enjoy. There are quite a number of us here that enjoy helping some body that has a problem or just wants to understand something or do a bit better; this is the very best forum for that but the MM forum is quite good for that to.
Some times people have to stop and think to realize there own motives.
Take care and visit with us now and then. Lee
Old 01-17-2009, 06:55 AM
Typical Buck

"Is there more to this than I thought?"

No...unless you want it to be. Your choice. Come here or over at MM if you need info or want to experiment. You'll get help.

Enjoy those Accuras!
Old 01-17-2009, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

These guys on here are the pro's but IMO confidence is 98% of the shot you already have the other 2%
figured out,stay with it
Old 01-17-2009, 07:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

A lot of us on here have more than one muzzleloader. And we all like to 'tinker' with them. Just like you and your bow (I love bowhunting too)some of usstrive for perfection. I personally keep a record of all the loads from each of my MLs. Its easier for me to keep track of what ML shoot what bullet/powder combo the best. Once we find a load combo that particular ML likes it gets recorded or memorized. Then we start playing with different charges, different powders, bullets, sabots, etc. We may not improve the initial pet load for that rifle, and we can always go back to it.

Quick Reply: Is there more to this than I thought?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.