Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Buying an Inline.... >

Buying an Inline....

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Buying an Inline....

Old 01-16-2009, 06:42 AM
Fork Horn

Default Buying an Inline....

I think im finally sold on an inline muzzle loader with scope. Where i live currently in wmu 2b we use a shotgun only law...however muzzleloaders are also allowed during the firearm season as well as an early doe season...and there is now lobbying for an early muzzleloader buck season in the works.

I know NOTHING about muzzleloaders and was planning on spending about $400-500 on a rifle and was just looking for some place to start...

Ive seen CVA, Traditions, and Thompson all over the place but dont know where to start...
Old 01-16-2009, 06:50 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Buying an Inline....

Don't forget to look at the makers of the original in-line. KNIGHT
Old 01-16-2009, 06:56 AM
Dominant Buck

With that kind of money, and since your new to all this and have no collection, look at the top of the line rifles. Triumph, Accura, Knight Disc Extreme, and see which one appeals to you. If you can, get to a gun shop and handle some of them. See what you like. Put a good scope on them and you have a 150 yard ot more deer killing machine. No shotgun can compete with that.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Check out Cabela's, they have some good MZ's on sale now at great prices! I just got my second CVA ACCURA from them for $339 what a deal. Plus they have TC's on sale too, but for your money and all the extras that come with the ACCURA you cant beat it, plus it comes with a factory Bargara Barrel. Check out the Bargara web site and see how the barrels are made and you'll be sold, they come with a accuracy guarantee. Mine shoots 1"-1 1/2" groups at 150 yds, I love it.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I forgot to mention mine is the Black Stock with the Stainless Barrel, also it's true stainless, Im pretty sure TC's are only plated with stainless. Also if you like the ACCURA, Cabela's also have the ACCURAwith a (Thumbhole Stock Realtree APG) with a stainless barrel at a great deal to for around $409. And you also get a FREE Cordura Gun Case with the purchase of any ACCURA. Plus the shipping is FAST, ordered mine on a Monday and got it Wednsday Mornig and Im in N.Y.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

There are several thing you need to look at, are you going to shoot conicals or sabots [ look at your laws see if something is required here] if you are going to shoot big heavy lead conicals the White is the one for that when it comes to sabots the new Triumph is the easy to clean easy to understand and for me it was the easy to get to shoot one. If you consider using the new noncorrosive powder then it is the one that works best with it [at least out of the collection I own. If you like a heavy gun and intend to shoot it with pyrodex or 777 then you might consider a Knight they make good quality guns that work well with all the powders except the new one. as for the cheap ones I was once told if you can not say something nice then be quiet. Lee
Old 01-16-2009, 07:47 AM
Typical Buck

All three of my Knight's will shoot the new powder-BH209 Two DISC Extremes and an original DISC
Old 01-16-2009, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I were to buyone in-line that I intended to use as a primary hunting gun, it would be a savage smokeless. The standard gun is at the top of your price range, but they are cheaper to shoot and easier to clean than other MLs. I really like the brown laminated stock with blue steel.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Unlike a few years ago, we are blessed with a long list of good guns to recommend.

Omega
Triumph
Any Knight
Savage (only worth it if you can shoot smokeless where you are)
White (if you can find one)
Accura
Encore (only put down here as I know too many people who have had problems making them accurate - but they can be and often are)

Note the only popular brand I intentionally omitted from this list is Traditions. I view them as inferior to every other option both in quality and safety. And I have owned two of them.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:34 AM
Fork Horn

Personally - I would be buying ANOTHER Genesis if I was looking for another ML.

Few few people shoot them and not like them. Their accuracy has been show time and time again.

Your get a quality gun, good looking, good shooting and have money to buy bullets! I would recommend this be an option prior to purchasing. I enjoy mine every time I look at it and fire it.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Buying an Inline....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.