Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

cold snap

Old 01-15-2009, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: cold snap

Thanks CAYUGAD I have never heard of either one before. Learn something new every day.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

Lutefish is cod that is left to air dry for a very long time (until it starts to rot IMO) and is heavy salted. Then to remove the salt they soak it is lye. When you purchase this fish it will stink a house up so fast it can make a Viking cry and jump ship. After soaking in water to remove the lye, you then can bake it, or cook the fish a number of ways. Any way you cook it, it is nasty with a snot like texture. Then you cover it in cream sauce or butter. You can eat all the Lutefist you guys want but I'll eat my Lake Erie Wallie anytime......thank's for cold weather from you guy's in ND, tonight it's a warm 3 below in Western New York and droppin, tomorrow it's suppos-to-be colder with 2-3 feet of snow and 40 below with the wind chill, I never saw my Blacklab pee so fast when I let him out you'd think he was on hot coles, stay warm everyone nothin to worry about, I'd rather be freezin on top than on the bottom anyday!

Many Scandinavian families grew up eating the stuff. It used to be very cheap because no one was crazy enough to eat it but us. So I grew up with that stuff in the house because my father was addicted to the stuff. The rest of us just kind of put up with it. We'd eat the lefsa and boiled potatoes on those nights.

Lefse is a flat potato and lardbread and actually it is pretty good stuff. Think of it like a Norwegian taco as we used to joke. We used to steam it, and then put butter and sugar on it then roll it up like a cigar and eat it. That stuff I can handle. The Lutefisk is a no no at my house. Although my father still goes to the local Lutheran church on Lutefisk night for his fix.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

getting so cold around, I'll go out side, I can't feel my hum, hands that it
Old 01-15-2009, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Guess I did the last reply wrong I'll eat Lake Eire Wallie anyday over that Lutefisk, sound like what happens when I raid the wifes purse. It's cold here tonight in Western New York, 3 below and fallin, tomorrow were suppos-to get 2-3 feet of snow and colder temps with -40 wind chills. We all can take it, I'd rather enjoy the cold on top then on the bottom anyday! My Blacklab just went out to pee and he came back in so fast you'd think he was walkin on hot coals, keep thinkin of them Big Bucks and you'll warm up quick!
Old 01-15-2009, 06:39 PM
Dominant Buck

I just looked and it is already -18 below (9:30 pm). So we are dropping fast tonight temperature wise. They claim we can get down to -31 tonight. I sure hope not. Then tomorrow it is supposed to start warming a little.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well its friday morning at 6:20am stepped out on the carport and its 8 degrees this morning. Thats pretty cold for us here.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:30 AM
Typical Buck

got up this morning at 6.30 don't know why i get up so early i retired 6 years ago ????? ..oh yes outside it is -33 ....
Old 01-16-2009, 04:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

7 AM here in Iowa -24 F
Old 01-16-2009, 06:33 AM
Dominant Buck

Well I just checked and our night time low (and I am not talking wind chill) was -34.4º F. There seems to be no wind. My computer is telling me we have warmed up a lot though.. all the way to -26ºF so it looks like a good day. Actually the sunny side of the house says -18º F. Amazing what a little sun shine can do.

At least I had water to make coffee. Got to have important things you know. This cold snap will really make ice on Superior, but it also drives frost deep into the ground and there is the danger of water pipes...
Old 01-16-2009, 06:39 AM

It was so cold here last night, someone told me they saw Smokey the Bear running around begging someone to start a forest fire...
My raido was froze this morning...

Quick Reply: cold snap

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.