Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

cold snap

Old 01-14-2009, 06:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: cold snap

It is -38 right now in good old North Dakolda. High today was -17. Did quite a bit of shoveling snow today. Pretty brisk.
Every time one of you guys put outsomething like that I have totake another sip of Scotch just to stay warm. It's a darn cold 42 degrees here right now and heading down to 34 by morning. Brrrr!
Old 01-14-2009, 06:48 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Lefse

It is -38 right now in good old North Dakolda. High today was -17. Did quite a bit of shoveling snow today. Pretty brisk.
Lefse I feel much warmer now thank you. It's only -19º here and headed for -28º so the weatherman says. He's never right. That North Dakota is one cold snow covered place this year. Even some lutefisk wouldn't help..
Old 01-14-2009, 06:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Do lutefisk bite is that kind of weather????
Old 01-14-2009, 07:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: cayugad

ORIGINAL: Lefse

Lefse I feel much warmer now thank you. It's only -19º here and headed for -28º so the weatherman says. He's never right. That North Dakota is one cold snow covered place this year. Even some lutefisk wouldn't help..

Old 01-14-2009, 07:14 PM
Dominant Buck

only when you try and swallow it Semisane... I was forced as a child to eat that stuff. Being an adult now, I have forbid it in my home. It is not even allowed on the property. Now if you ever ate lefse.. that is really good. I am not talking about the forum member, but the potato bread. Butter and sugar and roll that up... its really good tasting. Then they had to ruin good potatoe bread with that rotten lye fish.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:07 AM
Typical Buck

-32 this morning .very strange the cold temp. doesn't bother the deer ,they lie down and conserve heat ..what kills most of them is when the snow gets too deep and they can't get to the foodso they starve to death ..a lot of coyotes will also starve to death the deer population is very low ..so everything balances out ,nature does work wonders sometimes
Old 01-15-2009, 05:44 AM
Spike

Cold snap has been waining for the last couple of weeks. I headed to the cabin on Jan 3 & 4 in the Meadow Lake Provincial Park. Daytime highs were -30C. Sunday morning low was -41.7C on the thermometer. Went out sledding on Saturday. Placed a tarp over the 900 and put a couple of electric heaters on just so we could turn it over to start it(pull start). 500 started with a little persuading. Only a couple of people fishing and they indicated fishing was very slow. Only a couple of fish caught all day. Sunday morning we went out early to start our vehicles to make sure we had no problems before we headed home in the afternoon. Old 01 Chev half ton fired right up while the 07 Titan would only start with holding the starter on for a while. Neither of them were plugged in. Got both sleds going again and headed out with the sled with our fishing gear. Nothing but a couple of nibbles. Was better than sitting in the house watching TV. Temps this week hit a low of -25C and are to get to above freezing by the weekend. Nice change.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:10 AM
Dominant Buck

WOW!! benamen those are some really cold temperatures you have there. It is still -22ºF (9o am) which would be -30C in your case here this morning. If Semisane's been reading this post all night, he must be plastered on Scotch by now..

We has -28 Flast night, but they said North Dakota had -44F below last night (the weather channel). That would be -42.2 C in your place.. I don't care what anyone says.. that is just plain cold.

One more cold night they say and then it is supposed to get above zero. Maybe I can shoot this weekend when it gets above zero... You stay warm where you're at. Throw more wood in the stove and have a hot cup of coffee or do you drink tea there?
Old 01-15-2009, 06:24 AM
Typical Buck

Dave it will take a weel of 30 above to thaw out the wood enough to burn I sure do look foreward to tomorrow -30 here in Chippewa Falls. It is supposed to set records
Old 01-15-2009, 06:34 AM
Dominant Buck

I heard you guys over there were a lot colder... stay warm over there.

Quick Reply: cold snap

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.