Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

cold snap

Old 01-14-2009, 02:16 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: cold snap

-28 it is cold ..but the sun is out ,so it's not too bad ..cut some cedar branches ,and brought them to the deer .my turn to give something back to them ..
Old 01-14-2009, 02:20 PM
Dominant Buck

heinz.. do your deer yard up where you are at?
Old 01-14-2009, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do the deer eat cedar up there? They wont hardly touch them here, but they may be a different type of cedar.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:08 PM
Typical Buck

yes the deer yard up after the first snow fall ..my friend has cedar trees near his summer cottage and all the lower branches are chewed off..we lost a lot of deers last winter,in some places 62% of the deer starved to death [ a very sad situation] if it keeps on snowing we shall lose more this year ..no problem with moose or caribou ..got lots of both ...
Old 01-14-2009, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Our farm we hunt on has million of cedar trees might need to ship you some up there
Old 01-14-2009, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

They (deer) were hit hard here in Ontario as well last year. Wayyyyyyy too much snow. Not as much snow this year but colder. It was -17'F last night and calling for -22'F tonight. Crunchy snow and crunchy buggers cold but not square tire cold yet.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Huntaway
This is probably a stupid question. but what is square tire cold?
Old 01-14-2009, 03:40 PM
Dominant Buck

When the temperatures are bitter cold the tires get so frozen hard that where they sit on the road, they seem to have a flat spot. So when you go down the highway, they thump until they finally warm up. We always joke about the square tires here too.

Our deer eat cedar. I normally drop three Red Cedars for them and come spring, there are no boughs to trim off as the deer have them eaten off. They yarded early this year because of the snow and extreme cold. I sure hope the timber wolves don't find the yards too soon.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gregrn43

Huntaway
This is probably a stupid question. but what is square tire cold?
-40 to -50 brrrrrrrrrr[:@]
I've had set coleman stoves under my oil pan at that temp to get it warmed up enough to crank.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:44 PM
Dominant Buck

How many of you cold birds have jumped when it gets so cold that some of the nails shift in the house and POPor you are out near the power lines and they start to hum from the cold?

Another cool thing to do is when its bitter cold boil some water on a stove and then take a coffee cup full of it outside and throw that in the air and watch what happens... you can make a cloud. The water just disappears before it hits the ground.

My Dad used to joke it was so cold you have to knock the dogs off the fire hydrants...

Quick Reply: cold snap

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.