HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Camo chipping off Remington Genesis? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/282462-camo-chipping-off-remington-genesis.html)

hometheaterman 01-12-2009 05:08 PM

Camo chipping off Remington Genesis?

Anyone else have this issue? I have 3 spots I've found where the camo has chipped off my Remington Genesis with the camo stock. It's hardly noticible as the spots are about 1/8th of a inch in diameter if that however, it has me worried as to what this will look like 10 years from now. I've only had it for a month. It road in the truck a few times one time just laying ontop of some stuff but it's never taken a horrible beating.

I thought I'd like this stock so it would hopefully not show scratches but if it chips off instead that worries me. I've had other guns that have taken much worse of beatings that are wood and just have scratches. Is this normal? Do all camo guns do this? Any tips to make it last longer?

cayugad 01-12-2009 05:11 PM

RE: Camo chipping off Remington Genesis?

I have no tips or no solutions for you. BUT your report does not surprise me. Its one reason I never get too excited over a camo rifle. I have one. And so far it has held up real well. Its my Knight Disc.

MountainDevil54 01-12-2009 05:14 PM

10 years from now, Im betting that you will have a black stock.

Call Traditions and see what they can do. I wouldnt be surprised if nothing is done.

SWThomas 01-12-2009 06:57 PM

It builds character... :D

flint head 01-12-2009 07:01 PM

I like a camo stock, but that's why i had to stop buying them... it flairs up my OCD when they do that, and they all pretty much chip or peal.

hometheaterman 01-12-2009 08:24 PM

ORIGINAL: flint head

I like a camo stock, but that's why i had to stop buying them... it flairs up my OCD when they do that, and they all pretty much chip or peal.
Yup I'm pretty OCD too so I guess maybe Camo stocks aren't for me. For the $103 shipped I couldn't pass up the deal on the Genesis and I liked the look of the camo. It was the only one I've had that is camo. Well, one other gun is but it's been painted so not true camo.

I guess if I go with a synthetic stock black is the thing to go with. Is that the case? I have a buddy with a black synthetic shotgun and it seems to be holding up well. I've always liked wood and it looks great but scratches easily. Then again it doesn't chip or peal.

So basically the camo always chips off camo guns?

sabotloader 01-12-2009 09:40 PM

hometheaterman

I have not read the whole thread but have you considered calling Remington and expressing your concerns? Yes the gun is marketed through Traditions to Remington - but they are the name on the gun. They might help you.

As as another thought - I have a White U-mag with an dipped Autum Aspen camo stock. The stock has been on the gun for 3 hunting season and I have not experianced any chipping on the stock at all. I am looking at it right now

Underclocked 01-12-2009 11:16 PM

Wearing sunglasses? ;)

sabotloader 01-13-2009 05:17 PM

UC

It is beginning to fade a little bit - it aint quite as bright.... But like Doc White said I am afraid to lay it down in the woods I'll never find it again...

Just so you remember what it looks like...

hometheaterman 01-13-2009 09:01 PM

Thanks guys. I may give Remington a call and see what they say. Is this something I should expect from all camo guns? If so not sure if I will buy another one or not. Just wondering if they all do this.

I took some pictures of it. Like I said I'm a little OCD about stuff so like it to be perfect. I know that wont happen and that it's not that bad. I'm just worried that if it's like this after a month that it's going to be horrible after a few years.

I circled in red the chips. Harder to get a photo of them than I'd think as they look worse in person.

I can also see it more in the full sized photo but photobucket makes it smaller so it's harder to see.

Here is the whole thing just to show off since I don't think I have since I've had the rifle.

I had to post links as I couldn't figure out how to post a picture.