Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 New bdc scope out,any body know anything about it >

New bdc scope out,any body know anything about it

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New bdc scope out,any body know anything about it

Old 01-11-2009, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default New bdc scope out,any body know anything about it

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/readonly-item.jsp?id=713116&itemTemplate=products-found&cmCat=EOF

just wandering if anybodys heard anything on these yet $150.00
cheaper than the other ones
Old 01-11-2009, 09:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: New bdc scope out,any body know anything about it

hunting junkie

Honestly do not know anything about this scope... but I think a better alternative would be the Hi-Lux Toby Bridges scope. I have one of them and it works very well for me. I use the reticle but not in the manner specified.

http://www.hpmuzzleloading.com/SpecialOpportunity.html

Old 01-12-2009, 03:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nope, but I'm sure Wal-Mart will have it on the shelf soon. I wouldn't buy a scope for a muzzleloader that sells for under $100.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

ALL BDC scopes are going to generate error, so don't expect to be able to just zero at 100 and shoot further using the reticle. There's a big drop difference to different bullet designs of similar weight. Add in the variability of your gun, and you'll need to find out what range those marks REALLY correspond to.

The one you list is "calibrated" for 300gr bullets and 150gr charges....make sure you really want that kind of recoil!
Old 01-12-2009, 09:32 AM
Fork Horn

Theres alot of guys on here with scopes on there ML for under bucks with no problems!! If you do get it , Cabelas has the best return policy on there branded items of anyone. Ive taken a coat back that was over a year old , to see about getting the zipper fixed, and they just replaced the coat, no questions asked. My suggestions would be to you if you find the load that shoots the best from your gun, and then sight it in at 100yds, and just keep moving back and seeing where the other marks fall, not many deer are gonna stop at 150,200,250 so if yours is 135,185, or whatever its no big deal.............
Old 01-12-2009, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: revpilot

Theres alot of guys on here with scopes on there ML for under bucks with no problems!!

I totally agree just becouse it cost more dosen't mean it's better
Old 01-12-2009, 11:26 AM
Fork Horn

Here's my take: I was interested in a BDC scope as well to maximize my range. The only thing with a BDC is your stuck with that particualr load and weight of bullet for the BDC to work properly. Revpilot is right...Mr. Buck is not going to go to 100 yards....then to 150yards..then come out at 200yards. I decided to get a Nikon Omega scope with Nikoplex reticle (regular crosshairs). By the way Natchez Shooting Supplies has this $239 scope for $149.95!!!!!!!!!(where I bought mine from). With the regular crosshairs you are more open to shoot whatever YOUR gun or you likes to shoot. If you only want to shoot 100 grs of powder, so be it. If you want to shoot a 200 gr bullet you can. I intend on doing exactly this, going to the range and seeing what groups best out of my Triumph with various powder loads and various bullet weights. Once i find the "sweet load" I will see how much she drops at the longer ranges, mainly 200 yards. Hope this helps--DrAsus
Old 01-12-2009, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hunting Junkie,

I am not familiar with that scope but I'm not surprized to see more of that type of scope to come out, they seem to be getting more and more popular.

As has been stated, no load or gun is going to match up to a given ballistic reticle every time, or most of the time for some loads.

Ballistic reticles are just an average for a given load under whatever conditions they use during testing and development. It just gets you close, say within a few inches. Any variable introduced will change the results including barrel length, bore tightness, seating pressure, altitude, temperature, humidity, etc. For example, the Omega BDC scope is based on a 250 grain shockwave bullet with an average velocity of around 2025 to 2075 fps (published as a 150 grain powder load). The circles are large enough at the specified ranges so that the bullet should hit within the circle at that range, not neccessarily in the center of the circle, under most shooting situations. If your load is different in any variable from their average, the results will be different. The scope is still useable but your yardages may be different from what is published, even using the published load.

For the ballistic scope I have on my gun, it has 4 additional small crosshair aiming points below the main crosshair that are spaced 4.5" apart at 100 yards. I develop an accurate load withmy bullet of choice for the game I'm hunting, then shoot it over my chrono to get the average velocity, then crunch the numbers in a ballistics calculator to get a feel for the trajectory at the altitude I'm at. Then I verify it on the range to confirm it is doing what it's suppose to before I ever shoot at game. I will sometimes, depending on the load, adjust my zero at 100 yards to be a bithigh so the yardage the marks coincide with are easier to remember but bassically just note the yardages that they match up to for reference in the field if needed. Most of the time I still try to get as close as possible to insure precise bullet placement.

If you get one of those scopes, keep us informed on how well it works and holds up.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Alternatively, get a scope with external-adjustable turrents for extended ranges. Then you can know EXACTLY where to dial to for a given range. The Nikon Buckmaster has covers, but the turrets underneath are marked and supposedly still weather-resistant.

I've tried various mechanisms to account for drop, and I've settled on tactical scopes. The disadvantage is that you need one that is repeatable to crank up and down, and you can't count on the cheaper ones to deliver. I use a $200 Barska Tactical currently but I can't guarantee any other Barska Tactical would repeat like mine, they are not high quality. Good quality target/tactical turrent scopes are more expensive than BDC.

Dialing range is nice and quick once you're practiced it a bit. I have my drop in MOA memorized every 50 yards on the way out, so I can quickly dial up after ranging an animal and hold dead on where I want the bullet.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Spaniel,

Many long range shooters do it your way and it works well for those who understand how to do that and have the equipment to do it that way. While I have a couple of ballistic reticle scopes, I still use the max point blank range method for several of my guns that don't have that type of scope or have no scope. With several of the loads I use, the max PBR method works well out to 150 to 175 yards. I seldom have shots past 200 yards so I practice to that range just to make sure I can compensate when needed.

There are multiple ways of accomplishing longer range shots so it's up to the individual to decide which method is best for them.

Quick Reply: New bdc scope out,any body know anything about it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.