Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 New bdc scope out,any body know anything about it >

New bdc scope out,any body know anything about it

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New bdc scope out,any body know anything about it

Old 01-12-2009, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New bdc scope out,any body know anything about it

ORIGINAL: dmurphy317

Spaniel,

Many long range shooters do it your way and it works well for those who understand how to do that and have the equipment to do it that way. While I have a couple of ballistic reticle scopes, I still use the max point blank range method for several of my guns that don't have that type of scope or have no scope. With several of the loads I use, the max PBR method works well out to 150 to 175 yards. I seldom have shots past 200 yards so I practice to that range just to make sure I can compensate when needed.

There are multiple ways of accomplishing longer range shots so it's up to the individual to decide which method is best for them.
Max PBR is a fine way of doing it as long as you are fine accepting the limitation that puts on you -- doesn't require but a bare-bones scope either. My comment was more aimed at further ranges where PBR is not sufficient -- I'm not a fan of "holding over" much beyond MPBR (I've tracked too many deer where the crosshairs had to be held "off the fur" and the results were not good). It's only out that far that a BDC is really an issue either.

Certainly more than one way to skin a cat...er...deer...
Old 01-12-2009, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New bdc scope out,any body know anything about it

I agree with you about not shooting much past the MPBR. Most of the guns I set up that way are non scoped so I wouldn't think of shooting much past that rangewith open/peep sights anyway. I always use my rangefinder once the range gets much beyond 100 yards so I can be sure of the distance before considering the shot. I find, for me, the BDC reticle is most effective when I get out to the 200+ yard ranges, not so much closer in. Practice at the range and learning your trajectoryis the most important part of shooting at the longer ranges.IMO