Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Removing Sabots in Muzzeloder >

Removing Sabots in Muzzeloder

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Removing Sabots in Muzzeloder

Old 01-10-2009, 04:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default Removing Sabots in Muzzeloder

Hey Guys,

Pretty new to the muzzeolder.... I was wondering how you would remove a stuck sabot/bullet out of a black powder ml. I know people who use hollow-points and I can see the ball puller getting it out, but what if you don't use hollow-points. How the heck can you remove it?

Old 01-10-2009, 04:43 PM

Default RE: Removing Sabots in Muzzeloder

Pull out your breach plug and use your ram rod and push it through
Old 01-10-2009, 05:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

PAHUNTER105

You do not say if this ML is a inline or a sidehammer.

If it is a inline - with most inlines you can remove the BP and contiue to push the bullet and sabot through. Some inlines do have a small BP than barrel so you may have to physically force it through.

If it is a sidehammer you might be able to blow it out with a CO2 kit that fits on you nipple.

Also if you out where you can do it you can possibly shoot it out by removing the nipple and carefully filling the bolster with powder re-installed the nipple and cap and shoot it out.

Lastyl even if it is a spire point bullet or a bullet with a plastic tip - you can still possibly drill the ball remover into the bullet and get it to pull out. It takes a lot of pressure on the rod as you turning the screw into the bullet. I have even gone the extent of installing a ball remover in a regular cleaning rod - inserting the rod into a drill and using the drill to turn the screw in with downward pressure from your hand. If youHAVE to go to this extent make sure that your ball remover is one with the brass collar to fit your bore.

Old 01-10-2009, 05:42 PM
Spike

using pyrodex rs & spit patch after every shot - i forgot to spit patch when i loaded the next sabot, it only got 1/2 way down the barrel. no way was the aluminum ramrod going down any further. lucky for me the old timers at the shooting range have seen this a 100x before. he got out a long steel rod & a mallet to painstakingly whack, whack, whack, the sabot down the muzzle - i aimed at the target & shot it out (good thing i remembered to load the powder).

i have no affiliation with them but after that day i got this at the sports shop (i still need to get the proper adapters for my rifles):

http://www.genuineinnovations.com/saftprods.aspx?prodid=1026

i've now since use blackhorn 209 for the in-line & keep the pyrodex rs for the percussion.